Club Touareg Forum banner

Key turns everything on, but won't start motor.

51K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ronaldjordan124 
#1 ·
If anyone has experienced getting into their car and put the key in to find that everything lights up, but the engine won't start. And I mean the starter won't even turn over. I've got a quick fix. The first time it happened while my wife was shopping. The transmission can't be disengaged, so they have to drag the car into position to load it onto a flatbed, and they also drag it up the flatbed. So long to your brand new tires. The dealership ran a few tests and couldn't find anything. They just disconnected the battery and it fixed the problem. So they said. Well 3 months later it happened again. This time I really did have some brand new tires on, so I decided to try and disconnect the battery cable under the seat. What a pain in the ass. More so because I had only brought a hand full of tools with me. I eventually got to the pos cable and took it off for a few minutes then put it back on. Presto, problem fixed. At least for a couple more months. So now I've figured out a quick fix for the problem that the dealership can't seem to figure out. Look in the fuse panel on the left side and there's a fuse for the locks. With the key on (and of course in this situation where the starter won't engage) unplug the fuse. Wait a few and then put it back in. Turn the key off, then back on. Presto, you're good for another couple monts. This sure beats them dragging your brand new tires across the pavement and up the flatbed. Hope this helps anyone experiencing this problem.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Brand new battery. The only thing I've come up with is some module for the lock system needs to be changed out. We've had so many problems with this car and trying to get them to fix things has just lead me to give up. We tried 2 different dealerships with the same results. I finally figured out something I could do that would save me losing the car to the dealership, paying a deductible for my extended warranty and them not fixing anything. After the first time it happened it worked for 3 months before it occured again, then 4 months, then 1 month, then 6 months, then 2 weeks...now it's been 1 month and the car's for sale.......hope no one here buys it.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
The dealerships I'm working with are just terrible. I had to bring them a print out from this forum discussing problems and fixes to get them to properly fix things after numerous trips about the same problems. We took it in 4 times before they finally fixed the stepper motor, and they was only because I brought a print out of a forum discussion. Same with the wiper arms chattering. I mentioned the Kessy module to them and they just blew it off stating that it was fine.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
It seems like it works intermittently with either key fob. I have to say that of all the vehicles I've owned, this one definately gets the most compliments. I love the body lines. I think the copper colored leather interior was made just for me. The exhaust note just makes you grin...you know what I mean. I love the looks of this car, but I just can't deal with the problems any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.