Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I had an idea that I wanted to post here and see what everyone's thoughts would be...

The problem: KESSY module goes bad, drains perfectly good battery overnight or when parked for 1/2 hour. BATTERY IS PERFECT.

The proper solution (expensive): Replace defective parts, $2,000+ repair at stealership.

The forum solution (wild goose chase): figure out what module you have, fix the module by soldering new parts... $20 parts, few hours labor from an electronics repair shop. Take to dealer re-code... time consuming. Probably need to spend 4 hours on the forum just to locate all the parts on the Treg, all the correct part numbers, correct components to solder...

The work around solution: Battery disconnect switch with fused bypass (so you don't loose your setting) . $10 bucks
{will need to figure out how to extend the post under the disconnect by the front seat to make this physically work...}

Am I the first one to think of this or has anyone tried this with success?

Of course I realize that I would lose the KESSY function of being able to touch the door handle and unlocking the door... But for the price that it costs to fix this, it doesn't make sense...

Interested in recieving opinions.

My most valuable opinion that I can tell everyone who will listen to me is that the Treg is the best SUV that the US has ever known. However, a big HOWEVER is, it is not for the weak and timid. It is not to be owned out or warranty OR if your money tree is producing less Benjamin Franklins.
Guzzles gas, eats tires, costly to maintain, hard to find a tech that can diagnose your electrical problems correctly, OK I'LL STOP. You can see I have a love/hate affair with mine.
It's like owning a Ferrari, but it's no Ferrari!

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
305 Posts
Hi Smilit1,

Are you still on here? Did you resolve the battery draining issue?

I agree with with your assessment of the treg. Amazingly capable off road with excellent on road manners but a real pig to work on. Still, it wouldn't be a VW if it wasn't unnecessarily over complicated and didn't have its fair share of electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
The OP is incorrect. You just replace the bad parts on the kessy and reinstall. No coding, no dealer visit needed.

You shouild run a VCDS scan and clear codes, but again, no coding, no dealer visit needed.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
There is even another solution which involves cloning the kessy module but requires more skills. Might be useful if you’re not lucky with the repair. No dealer required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
305 Posts
Thanks TRespect,

That's some next level magic. As I'm already beyond my skill and comfort levels for this repair, if it comes to that I will be seeking someone who knows their volts from their ohms. Lol

I disconnected the ground cable post near the front battery and left it off for 15 minutes but there was no change. The beast will start under duress but there is a total power loss and engine cut out within 10 seconds after starting every time..

Have checked the the front battery with the tester. Its completely dead now but was brand new about 2 months ago.

Used the light tester on the 3 fuses, 2 x 5 amp orange colour and 1 x 10 amp red. The 10 amp was the only one that lit up the tester and it did on both sides of the fuse.

The 5 amp ones didn't light up at all. Have taken them out and they look fine and are not blown.

Also pulled the larger 40 amp fuses next to the 433 relay but they appear fine too.

Here is the 433 relay. Not sure how to test it or even what it does?

The rear battery showed low but at least the battery tester got a reading from it...

There was one fuse visible, it was linked to the positive terminal. Couldn't get a response with the light tester. But it looks good.

Je ne sais pas? Scratching my head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts