Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am the owner of a 2004 V8 Touareg and have had some issues. The newest issue is that the keyless entry is causing the battery to drain. The dealer diagnosed it and said that both the front drivers and front passenger door handle needs to be replaced along with the rear hatch antenna for the keyless entry system. The dealer stated this would cost over $1600 for the repairs and time. I am wondering if anyone has had the same issue and they might know of a way to do it yourself at home. I have specific part number as well. With my paperwork its says "doing a draw test after 30 minutes with car locked draw is jumping up to 2.0 AMPS and down to 0.50. Found kessy system door handle functions are not operating correctly. Found faults for drivers front, passenger front and rear bumper kessy antennas. These three antennas will need to be replaced before further diagnosis on draw." Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I had a similar malady on my 05 @122000 miles. Solved it by trading it in on a new model.

Those repair costs were enough for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had couple handles malfunction. I fixed it by popping the door panel off and un plugging the wiring harness plug for the handles. That was 2 years ago and no problems since. Just have to use the key fob to open the doors, no biggie for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to pop the door panels this weekend and try un plugging them. I have been watching eBay as well to see if I can get new or used replacements for cheaper then $500 from the dealer. Do you know about the rear antenna not receiving the signal or if I unplug the door handles will that shut the whole system down? Also do you know if I get replacement handles installed does the dealer then need to reprogram them or can the reprogramming be done yourself?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
You cheapest out is to get the kessy module repaired and to disconnect any bad handles that are still defective after the kessy repair. The normal result of the kessy repair is that all the defective antenna warnings are gone!

Notice, usually you have to only disconnect door handles when the push button goes bad. If you did it for antenna issues, you neutered your ride for nothing.

You can't get this done at the dealer, search the forum for advice. And if you don't have access to a VCDS, forget it. You will never fix it. Invest $300 or sell the vehicle at a loss.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer did not say the kessy system needed repair. Only the front two door handles needed replacing and the rear hatch antenna.

My first step I was going to try was disconnecting the handles from inside the door. I have also read some different things about a possible fuse but I have read mixed things on that. Any other suggestions on how to get the door apart without completely destroying the panel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My antennae were bad, the car kept acting as if someone was grabbing the handle. I disconnected them before that constant powering on of the antennas fried the mosfets in the kessy that are what goes bad. The mosfets are what powers the handles, but they are not meant for constant use (that is my theory at least).

·
Registered
63 Posts
As for the door panels... you do not have to completely remove them. Just pop it off enough to get behind at the bottom 1/3, that is where the plugs is (purple I think). You will need a trim removal tool to prevent damage to the clips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know where I can get the "trim removal tool" also you said you disconnected the antenna for the rear hatch. Is this also located in the handle for the rear hatch? Or where and how do I get to it on the rear hatch?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
You can also just disconnect the antennas at the kessy module. You only need cut the correct wires. But once again class...

If you replace only the mosfets, you fix the battery draw.

There are also some fusible resisters that have to be replaced on the kessy to clear the antenna issues.

You only unhook the door handles when the little black push button malfunctions as the entire freaking switch is buried in epoxy making it all but impossible to fix.

Sigh. You can lead a dehydrated horse to water, but you can't make the horse drink.

It is your car, not mine. Butcher it up if you wish or wade through a long thread and figure it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nikyt, when you refer to the the "mosfets" is this in the door or is this something that is located in the "kessey" itself? I apologize I am not familiar with all of the terms. Also do you know with this issue cause the "move selector lever to position P" on the dash? Or would this be an entirely different issue?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just got an alert from DigiKey.. the
MOSFET N-CH 55V 17A D2PAK is going end of life. Last chance to order will be December of this year!

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Got the final notice from Digi-Key today... IRFZ24NSTRLPBF is now obsolete. They show AUIRLZ24NS-ND is a substitue though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Testing the Rear Antenna

Is there a test to diagnose the rear antennas?

I got an error code about the rear antenna not being recognized.

There are 2 of them set in the Styrofoam with the bumper.

I have the rear fascia off because I am installing the trailer hitch so replacing them would be simple

1 - 15 of 15 Posts