Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
I have a 2008 R50 V10. Thinking I have a kessy problem but I will give a brief outline of problem. Car will not crank for long enough to start 1 in 20 times. I use the key although car has factory push button. Turn the key to start and engine only cranks for a very short time. Not long enough to start. Hold the key in crank position and it will still only crank for a very short time. Normally a few tries with the key and in will crank for long enough to start. lately the central locking is strange. I use the fob key. Sometimes I lock the car and it immediately unlocks. looking at the locking problem further and the door handles only work sometimes to unlock. Black buttons work sometimes. If you press the rear door black buttons there is a clicking sound from under the dash. Sounds like a relay going crazy. Last 10 seconds or so then no more clicking. Car is not used frequently so I do have battery draining issues that didn't concern me until all of the above. Now I am thinking Kessy module.
I have located the clicking noise to be from the kessy module.
I have a Vagcom and scans are attached. I have scanned many times and I never get aerial issues. Usually get power supply issues to Kessy. Sometimes no errors but the door handles will still not work. Key works OK

I have read the DIY repairs to the kessy module but would prefer a professional to do the repair. Where in Australia or preferably Melbourne can I go for Kessy repair, change over or replacement unit. I do not even know a stealer that is up with these problems.
Pictures below of my Kessy. By the date I am thinking this is not the original unit. Anyone know this number.
Regards Eric
Font Material property Magenta Publication Advertising

Peripheral Laptop accessory Computer hardware Font Personal computer hardware

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I have not. When I had the crank problem it led me down the path of the Kessy module given I have door handle issues as well. The buzzing from the kessy module made me stop looking anywhere else. Would like it to be something else. I have opened the kessy and nothing burnt to my eye. Happy to look further if you think its required. Where should I start?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have some PDFs manuals. I will go looking for a diagram. What is making you look away from the Kessy given the issues? I thought the buzzing was a give away the kessy has a problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am all for your thinking. The irregularity of the fault is the pain. Most times its OK. Last trip I was caught out for 3 hours trying to get it to crank. When it finally did I drove straight home and cancelled my trip. Car has not moved since. Absolutely love the car but this is testing me.
I have found some documentation regarding relays and terminal 15. I will pull the seat and go looking.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you explain the kessy and cranking to me? This is my problem. I can live with the door handle problems.
I use the key to start. Insert key, foot on brake, twist key to crank position and release. Car then cranks for long enough to start. Problem now is the crank is only a very short time and not enough cranking to start. I thought I will just hold the key in the crank until it starts but this does not work. Still only cranks a very short time and you are still holding the key in the crank position. What tells it about the cranking duration? I assume there is something thats tells it its running so it stops cranking? An I chasing a starter motor problem. Can anyone tell me if they hold the key will it continue to crank?Car is 2008 R50

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Batterys are a few years old. I have been having some discharge issues which is why I thought Kessy. Car had been dropping .2 volt in about 15 hours. which is too much. Will try tonight with the Kessy unplugged. Maybe I need to buy 2 new batterys. I had been thinking battery or starter problem. my problem there is sometimes it cranks and sometimes not. I would have thought a bad battery will be all the time?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Battery issue is my current thought. I disconnect the rear battery and the fault was as described. will not crank long enough to start. Swapped the rear battery to the front with no rear battery. starts fine. so from this the front battery is no good. This goes against the rear battery is the start battery. Car starts with no rear battery. I think it uses both battery's to start if both are available. if no rear it will still start off the front. Still thinking I have a drain issue. maybe kessy? I will let the car sit overnight and check the voltage in the morning. I think 2 problems. Bad battery with big current drain on the starter. possibly a drain issue which adds to the start issue over time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Both batterys replaced and start issue fixed. You can hold the key in crank position until the battery voltage gets to a level. Do not know the level ,thinking around 9-10 volts. Cut off Voltage is high enough you will not hear the car crank slow. Seat battery was the bad battery. Interestingly turning key left did not work. I think this system does not operate until you are asked to do it on the dash. I have been ask "to change battery"it the past and system works well.
Still have a kessy issue. Collecting data for a post now. Thanks to all for the help. Regards Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts