Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
959 Posts

This is all I know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Blownvette. I'm aware of the company complaints but was more curious on this product in particular. If you compare the OEM inlet to this one, there is a noticeable difference. I'd expect good results. There are a few overland vendors selling this directly from their site, so if no feedback on the product on here, I may reach out to them and ask for feedback.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,124 Posts
How exactly can a short hose be classed as performance-enhancing?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My understanding is that the larger diameter of the upgraded inlet hose would ease any restriction associated with the OEM hose. Supplies the turbo with better airflow.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
If you were modded then yes. Stock won't make any difference other than slightly better throttle response. Modded intake and exhaust would result in even better response from that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you were modded then yes. Stock won't make any difference other than slightly better throttle response. Modded intake and exhaust would result in even better response from that.
Would the inlet upgrade compliment a Malone Stage 2 tune or is it limited to intake/exhaust modifications?

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
You're really going to need more power over a stage 2 tune in order to feel that difference, unless you do intake and exhaust modifications.

Reactions: arbitrage87

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
959 Posts
Thanks Blownvette. I'm aware of the company complaints but was more curious on this product in particular. If you compare the OEM inlet to this one, there is a noticeable difference. I'd expect good results. There are a few overland vendors selling this directly from their site, so if no feedback on the product on here, I may reach out to them and ask for feedback.
it’s your money so do as you please. That said, the power level is way too low for this thing to be of any value. The few of us doing upgrades on the V10tdi don’t waste time on things like that. Way too much to be gained using a tune from a real tuner (NOT KERMA!)

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,166 Posts
I never really understood these “performance” hoses. The air box/MAF connector and the turbo inlet are still the same diameters. Yes more air may be able to flow a little bit more than the stock pipe, but you still have the original restrictions.

Take a 3/8” garden hose, attach 5/8” or 3/4” hose, then another 3/8” hose. You’ll still have the same amount of water coming out at the end of the hose.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I never really understood these “performance” hoses. The air box/MAF connector and the turbo inlet are still the same diameters. Yes more air may be able to flow a little bit more than the stock pipe, but you still have the original restrictions.

Take a 3/8” garden hose, attach 5/8” or 3/4” hose, then another 3/8” hose. You’ll still have the same amount of water coming out at the end of the hose.
the purpose behind most of the silicone or even plastic intake upgrade you'll find is for smoothing out the intake path, this usually enhances pedal response, turbo response, and depending on how bad the stock system is can add in horsepower for sure. Most of the time this is done by a larger diameter piping but also significantly smooth are piping without the bends and turbulent disruptions you find in most stock systems that are there to keep noise levels down but also to keep costs down

Reactions: arbitrage87

·
Registered
52 Posts
As someone that will be in the market for some tuning in the not too distant future i'm glad i read through this post. I had been looking at some of the Kerma stuff and may have gotten burned...

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,166 Posts
the purpose behind most of the silicone or even plastic intake upgrade you'll find is for smoothing out the intake path, this usually enhances pedal response, turbo response, and depending on how bad the stock system is can add in horsepower for sure. Most of the time this is done by a larger diameter piping but also significantly smooth are piping without the bends and turbulent disruptions you find in most stock systems that are there to keep noise levels down but also to keep costs down
That sounds like great marketing, but I still don’t buy it. Vacuum/low pressure side of a turbo doesn’t care about a few bumps, and only so much air is going through the MAF housing and turbo inlet. Unless the inner cross section of the factory pipe was significantly less than either end of the intake, your restriction is elsewhere.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
That sounds like great marketing, but I still don’t buy it. Vacuum/low pressure side of a turbo doesn’t care about a few bumps, and only so much air is going through the MAF housing and turbo inlet. Unless the inner cross section of the factory pipe was significantly less than either end of the intake, your restriction is elsewhere.
Thanks for the insight. Searching the internet, this modification seems to be quite common for turboed vehicles.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,166 Posts
Thanks for the insight. Searching the internet, this modification seems to be quite common for turboed vehicles.
Unless you get the pipe for $20 with free install, I wouldn’t waste my time or money on it. Save that money for other mods that will actually give you gains.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
like I said it's not usually a magical but it definitely improves pedal response no question

huge mods in the turbocharged world, especially the 1.8 T and the 2.0 T there are massive gains to be had

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
959 Posts
Aftersale Extruding Elbow Reinforced Epdm Rubber Air Filter Intake Turbo Intercooler Hose 504136611 For Iveco - Buy High Performance Tuerbo Intercooler Pipe For Online Car Parts Importer,Less Moq Reinforced Rubber Coolant Pipe For Auto Parts Wholesaler,High Pressure Reinforced Flexible Aramid Fabric Reinforced Epdm Rubber Hose Product on Alibaba.com

The pipes are only about $5-20. Buy 100 you get your logo added. My guess is a lot of junk is bought and labeled and unleashed on the uninformed. If you read some of the reviews on the rip-off report it would show that that could be the case.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,166 Posts
The pipes are only about $5-20. Buy 100 you get your logo added. My guess is a lot of junk is bought and labeled and unleashed on the uninformed. If you read some of the reviews on the rip-off report it would show that that could be the case.
some people are just way too eager to empty their wallets.

·
Registered
2014 V6 TDI 180kW with Interior Comfort Package and Sunroof
87 Posts
You may have heard of the silicone inlet hose that was made for the 4 cyl Amarok. The main reason that was made was because the stock inlet hose was such soft rubber that it would sometimes start to collapse in on itself and thus restricting the airflow. Haven't heard of that on our Tregs.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I'll give you guys a little hint on this matter. The same exact 3 liter TDI in Europe benefits around 10 horsepower from upgrading that pipe.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts