Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally posting some pictures of my aftermarket Navigation and stereo install. I spent a great deal of time on the VWVortex and Clubtouareg forums before I bought my Touareg. Thanks to all that posted about their upgrades, desired mods to the the stock navigation, etc. Your posts helped me make my decision on what I wanted to get.

I decided to go aftermarket for several reasons (DVD Nav, DVD Video, Better Sound). I opted for the basic V8 Touareg and save the money from the Navigation Package upgrade for the custom stereo install. Since the Nav bundle had many of the other upgrades I wanted (Xenon, etc.) I had to sacrifice for the stereo. A good decision for me, but others may have gone the other route.

Installation was done by AMS Car Stereo in San Jose, CA (Kurtis at 408-248-1111). This is the second install they have done for me.

Total Installed Price: $8,000

Next upgrades are to install a color iPod Photo, and headrest monitors for the kids. The head unit is setup for the external headrest monitors already.

Here are the specs. with pictures following.

Kenwood DDX7015 Monitor With DVD Receiver (6.5" Touchscreen)
Kenwood KNA-DV4100 DVD Navigation System
Sirius Satellite Radio
Jl Audio 10W6 Subwoofer With Custom Sub Enclosure
MB Quart QSD 216 6.5" 2-Way QSD Series Separate Components
MB Quart PCE 216 6.5" 2-way component / coaxial system with 1" tweeter
Alpine MRD-501 Amp (550w x 1 at 2 ohm)
Alpine MRV-540 Amp (100w x 4 at 4 ohm)
Backup Camera In Rear License Frame
iPod with Dension ice Link iPod Mount

If you have any questions, let me know.

Jeff

Head unit and iPod

CD/DVD behind screen

DVD Navigation

DVD Video (David Gilmore)

Backup Camera Image (Wide angle, automatically switches on screen when shifting into reverse)

Sirius Satellite Radio

Audio Controls

iPod in Dension Cradle

Rear Trunk Area (Access to spare, Right side access panel, and cargo hooks retained)

Custom Sub Enclosure and Sub Amp (Sub Enclosure hand built from mold of wheel well)

Front and Rear Component Amp

Backup Camera in license frame (Modified to retain acess to rear hatch release)

Backup Camera closeup

Navigation and Satellite Antenna's closeup

Navigation and Satellite Antenna's

Touareg Exterior

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
That is a sick setup dude!!!!! Rock on! Thanks for the pics. Give me an estimate on the complete setup cost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Jeff.

Nice setup, it really looks great.

Just one question about the antenna installation. As far I know, the original VW GPS antenna is located under the front end panel, who its made of fiber so it must be transparent to the satellite waves. Isn't that locaticon better than the top of the roof?.

Considering the sky view, the actual antenna position is better by far, but it's accesible for anyone who want one of this active antennas without paying any money.

I'm sure you think in that before, I only want to know your ponit of view about that.

Greetings from Madrid.

Javier.-

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tahoe said:
That is a sick setup dude!!!!! Rock on! Thanks for the pics. Give me an estimate on the complete setup cost.
Total cost out the door was about $8,000 (Parts, Labor, Install, etc.).

It is surprising how quickly the costs add up.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
themacnut said:
Tahoe said:

Jeff
Yes I bet. It looks good though and it appears that you got everything you wanted.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Javier said:
Hi Jeff.

Nice setup, it really looks great.

Just one question about the antenna installation. As far I know, the original VW GPS antenna is located under the front end panel, who its made of fiber so it must be transparent to the satellite waves. Isn't that locaticon better than the top of the roof?.

Considering the sky view, the actual antenna position is better by far, but it's accesible for anyone who want one of this active antennas without paying any money.

I'm sure you think in that before, I only want to know your ponit of view about that.

Greetings from Madrid.

Javier.-
Javier,

Good thought on the antenna location. I am not sure how well the aftermarket antenna would do in the stock VW location. Probably just as well.

There was also the Sirius satellite antenna we had to consider. The Sirius satellite box and the DVD Nav are both located under the spare tire. Ideal would be to have both antenna's hidden. However, when I pull into my garage, I loose the Sirius satellite signal. Not sure on GPS.

In my last car with GPS installed, the antenna was on the dash. Hated looking at it everytime I drove the car. I selected the most out of way place I could find. I have not really noticed them, and usually have to point them out when someone asks.

Thanks for the idea. Next time I visit my stereo shop, I will challenge them with the question and see what they say.

Jeff

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tahoe said:
themacnut said:
Tahoe said:

Jeff
Yes I bet. It looks good though and it appears that you got everything you wanted.
After we had everything priced out, I asked what we would have setup in the car if I had say twice the money to spend (Which I didn't). He had no trouble rattling off the higher end Amps and Speakers we could install. There appears to be no limit to what you could spend. In the end I am very happy with the products and sound quality.

Jeff

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tot2learn said:
That's a great setup. Very classy, it's not over the top. One question. Have you thought of placing a mac mini in the glove box? :joy:
I know of a couple of installations on the web using the Mac Mini (No Touaregs yet). I do not have the need for my computer in the car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks, I am still debating about the front windows... I want to tint my windows, 15 percent all around - the thing is that when I put the 35% percent next to the glass in comparison of the 15% it was way too transparent and the contrast between the from and the rear were too dramatic for my taste... anyone have any advice... beside being pulled over... heehe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.