Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing a Kenwood DNX7140 in my 05 T'reg - pretty straight forward installation once I was able to figure out a minor wiring issue. Most stereo shops wanted $300+ for this install, I would say I'm a pretty savvy guy and decided to take it on myself. If you are debating taking this on as a DIY project I would give it a difficulty rating of a 5/10.

Some tips from the install....

- Had difficulty at first finding a good 12v signal that was controlled with the ignition (so that unit turns on/off with key) as the factory harness adapter does not offer a 'clean 12v' input. Ended up running a direct cable to the fuse box - again pretty simple, there are 2 screws that hold a cover on below steering column....take that bad boy off and its a straight shot to the dashboard. If you get the correct kit from Metra 70-9003 it comes with the wire that runs from the fuse box. There is also a kit I found from Connect2 - a British company, if you want to pay their price $80+ it's a simple plug and play harness.

-The buttons below the stereo unit (heated seat,hazard light buttons) got scratched to pieces from removing the factory unit and installing the new Metra dash kit I would recommend some sort of pre-work to avoid having these scratched up- either covering them up or removing them. As a quick fit I went to walmart and got a $2.97 can of flat black spray paint, that seemed to take care of the white showing through at the top of the buttons.

-Aftermarket antenna adapter i found at Bestbuy (of all places) they carry a range of Metra kits.

-Sirius Add on $45 Amazon+ Kenwood adapter cable $18.99

-I took the car to a local stereo shop who bypassed the unit for full access while moving, for $30 I decided to let them mess with that.

-All other wiring was easy - mic,sirius antenna,nav antenna, just be sure to be neat and tuck as much wiring away as you go...this makes life allot easier when pushing the unit back into the dash.

- The metra dash kit is horrible, does what it should do but very hard to get in and out (test all functions before pushing it in)- don't be afraid to give it some force to clip it in.

-Next will be installing a Pac-Audio adapter for steering wheel controls, will add to the post once installed.

Overall very happy with the unit so far, with all the features it seemed one of the best for value for $$ - do some homework, I found one on ebay for $699 the cheapest by at least $100 everywhere else. I actually picked mine up from a private seller here in town $450 and still under warranty.

Let me know if you have any questions - If I can help save anyone from paying $300+ for an install it will be worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
I just bought a '08 Touareg and would also like to install a Nav system, my dealer recommended the Kenwood DNX512EX.
I haven't looked into it yet, so it would be nice if you could tell me the differences between the two systems.

BTW, where did you put the GPS Antenna and would it make sense to install the backup camera or is it to much hassle to install.

Later
Dirk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant tell you the difference between them, but would suggest you go to crutchfield.com and do some research on units. I installed the antennas (Sirius) just above the stereo in the little tray- one small hole was enough for both cables and reception is good. Good luck with your selection and install.

·
Registered
50 Posts
the deal with the metra kit isnt that its junk, its the car side of things thats junk. if you call metra theyll tell you to buy 3 kits just in case since if you dont get it in right the first time you essentially have to destroy the kit to get it back out. vw did not design the toe to allow us to monkey with it easily

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the deal with the metra kit isnt that its junk, its the car side of things thats junk. if you call metra theyll tell you to buy 3 kits just in case since if you dont get it in right the first time you essentially have to destroy the kit to get it back out. vw did not design the toe to allow us to monkey with it easily

Dude...it's junk

·
Registered
37 Posts
great to hear... never thought very highly with my 04 factory nav system...need of various cd per region, not very good graphic interface ... hard to input info and very expensive to update info... was at crutchfield while making several futile attempts at connecting my ipod to the factory nav system and looked at the various nav systems at fairly reasonable prices ... under $ 1,000 maybe much less for refurbished ones not counting install which I have heard is around 300

·
Registered
469 Posts
jcaadams was this replacing an OEM CD-Nav or just the CD? Did you have the audiophile amp and if so how did you bypass?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Did either of your eggs have a back-up cam? If so, what type of connector does it have?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts