41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
929 Posts
I was comparing the same markets for both.. it is comparible, how is it not?
Same geographic market but different demographic - Atlas aims at customers who want/need a mainstream 7-seater for big Americans with a part-time 4wd - Touareg is aimed at those who need/want a premium 5-seater with full-time 4wd.

I feel sure that very few Americans will buy an Atlas to replace their Touareg.

·
Registered
277 Posts
More americans already bought an Atlas than ever bought a Touareg, who cares about Treg owners, they dont care about your megar needs.. americans who want a premium 5 seater with full time 4wd buy a crew cab truck w/short bed.. VWAG is never gonna eat into that market.

IMO the only way the TReg woulda ever been popular in NA was as a Mall Crawler.. and without the aftermarket support to bro doze the hell outta it so you can park it at work next to the other dent-free trucks at work its never gonna fly.. w/Jeep, Toyota, and Cummins all deeply entrenched into that segment the Treg is in a no-mans-land in North America.. I mean you cant even bolt up a warn bumper and winch, who cares if its got 4WD if it gives me feelings of inadequacy next to that truck w/nuts hanging off the back.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Why are we comparing a Touareg to diesel pickups trucks when the exact segment they are in is more of a range rover/Mercdes GLE/Land Cruiser/Tahoe/etc sort of realm? Raw class and utility is the name of the game.

·
Registered
11 Posts
More americans already bought an Atlas than ever bought a Touareg, who cares about Treg owners, they dont care about your megar needs.. americans who want a premium 5 seater with full time 4wd buy a crew cab truck w/short bed.. VWAG is never gonna eat into that market.

IMO the only way the TReg woulda ever been popular in NA was as a Mall Crawler.. and without the aftermarket support to bro doze the hell outta it so you can park it at work next to the other dent-free trucks at work its never gonna fly.. w/Jeep, Toyota, and Cummins all deeply entrenched into that segment the Treg is in a no-mans-land in North America.. I mean you cant even bolt up a warn bumper and winch, who cares if its got 4WD if it gives me feelings of inadequacy next to that truck w/nuts hanging off the back.
The Treg, like most other premium suv’s, wasn’t held back because there wasn’t an aftermarket to turn it into a weekend rock crawler. The first couple of generations of the Treg were definitely worthy of hard core off-roading, but again, that was never where the market was for a plush, European, high quality suv.

Certainly some of the downfall of the Treg here in the US is the fact that it was a VW priced like an Audi, BMW or Mercedes. It’s a challenge to get consumers who want/expect the premium experience (shopping and service) to accept what most VW dealers offered. Unlike your experience with the Q7, my wife and I both thought it felt like a downgrade compared to the Treg.

From the cheap and poorly designed dash and center console, to what felt like a smaller rear storage area (we passed the point of needing or wanting 3 rows), not to mention the creaks and rattles every Q7 we drove had. Our salesman warned us going in that we were going to like the Treg (Executive) better and he was spot on.

The Atlas on the other hand was of course a smart move on VW‘s part, as it proved that the volume consumer here simply wants / expects the biggest bang for the buck - and that’s not a compliment. In this category, they want what is effectively a minivan, in suv guise. As others have noted, VW should have simply offered the Atlas as a separate value-oriented suv/minivan and kept the Treg as the premium version for those that don’t want 3 rows and prefer the driving dynamics that a rear wheel based drivetrain offers - which for me was one of the most important factors).

I’m also no fan of the often pretentious premium brand dealership experience, as I typically know more about the vehicles than the salesman and service “advisors” and can’t stand being treated like the typical stupid consumer.

·
Registered
277 Posts
after having a couple VDub's w/touchscreen RNS units I frigging love Audi's MMI that uses 100% real buttons I can operate completely without ever taking my eyes off the road... At first I was kinda put off by all the controls in the center console, but once I started using it was clear that this system was far superior in every way over VW's touchscreen crap that requires you to take eyes off road, and even then you never know what you'll press if the road is not perfectly smooth.

no rattles or squeaks on mine, well not coming from the car.. the car seats in the back make plenty of noise all by themselves... mebe its all covered up by the noise on the all terrains I'm wearing.

My Audi dealer treats me great, sorry yours sucks.. Self Diagnosed my rear main oil leak, zero hassle or treating me like I didnt know what I was talking about, while they were fixing that they found water pump weeping and offered to repair it, I denied the repair and told em I think the EGR is leaking.. they listened and found the EGR was leaking when they pressure tested it, fixed it and tossed in a new water pump at no cost just because.. and in the meantime I gotta drive a 0 mile 2020 Q5e for a month that got better fuel economy than my Diesel.. When I picked up my Q7 from repairs another service tech who overheard me come in a month before approached me and asked if my self-diagnosis ended up being right, I confirmed and said corp covered everything.. then we did a contactless fistbump as he said "Bad Ass!"

I've never not known more than the salesman, service advisors, and heck most of the service techs working in the back too.. all but a few employees at any brand dealer quickly realized to STFU and just leme do my thing or I'd take em back to school.. now used car lots I cant stand and those guys always find a way to insult me and piss me off.

·
Super Moderator
9,493 Posts
I have owned my '10 from new and stood to make more money selling it back, but there was nothing else out there I wanted. So I have kept it and do not regret it at all. I would love to at least like to see VWoA allow us to order a new Touareg if they don't want to bring them over anymore. I would love a new TDI with air. Not sure if they still do 4xMotion or not anymore, but I have not taken mine off road in a long time, so I may not miss that feature as much. I was the minority that would definitely buy another one, but I was not interested in the 11-16's since we could not get it with air suspension.

My dealer has been great to me even though I did not get my T through them what so ever. I have never had an issue getting a loaner when in for service work or conflicting BS when a repair is needed. Service manager and I BS about the T's every time I go in for service. he bought a customers loaded '05 V8 and loves it. He knows I have a Ross Tech cable, but also knows I am not telling them how to fix my car. I'll keep this one until I can get a new one or it is no longer feasible to run it any longer. Only has 109K on it, so a long way to go before it is wore out! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure why you think anyone in Europe would want an Atlas!
I frequently travel to Germany and I would not want to drive an Atlas there. The gas mileage is terrifying if you have to pay European gas prices, the width and lengths makes it impossible to park in inner city parking garages.
That said so, living in the US, our family owns one and its the perfect travel limousine for the entire family. Smooth riding and ample room , especially with second row captain chairs.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts