Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 TDI & 2008 Volkswagen Touareg 5.0 TDI
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why USA still carrying Porsche Cayenne, Audi Q7, Lamborghini Urus, and Bentley Bentayga in USA but not Volkswagen Touareg? I know Volkswagen Touareg are expensive but what a reason? Just because American don’t know how take care of it?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Its all in the branding. People to not perceive anything extra ordinary with the Touareg vs the other badges.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Atlas

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Urgh I don’t want know about Atlas it’s hideous and tame SUV. If I’m CEO for VW Headquarter in USA, I would rid off Atlas line and bring Touareg back.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree, unfortunately I believe they are selling better than the Touareg so if you were CEO of VWOA the shareholders would have your head on a pike.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
its also about marque. People feel better about themselves when they have a premium badge. Its a status of success or so they like to think. Little do they realise its an illusion. Theyve just forked out +30k for an Audi over a Treg. Especially here in Sydney .... very funny :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: All i see with these people is more dollars than sense.

In Odessa there are far far more VW than Audi and Porsche. The peoples car for the people !! They know something. Common sense in understanding its the same bloody vehicle at reasonable price.

Reactions: James007

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
yup .. yet people still think it ok to buy the Audi A8 ... same car ... go figure

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
there you go... Didnt know that!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Man I'd love a Phateon for a weekend ride

Reactions: cruelladevil1004

·
Registered
16 Posts
Urgh I don’t want know about Atlas it’s hideous and tame SUV. If I’m CEO for VW Headquarter in USA, I would rid off Atlas line and bring Touareg back.
According to VW of Duluth (Minnesota) the Touareg is selling better than the new or used Atlas. I had a Atlas with Technology, rental for 6 weeks and I did not like the shortfalls of the interior and the lack of MPG. 21 mpg on highway at the best... 14 mpg in MY city. For the 40K price tag on the Atlas, no way... buy a nice used Touareg TDI..... for less.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've asked the same question of auto industry friends and the response has been that VW made the Touareg so that it too closely mimicked Audi's Q5 and Q7 and the Cayenne (at least in base and diesel versions), in terms of quality.

And because of that they just didn't have the flexibility on price to offer them to a more mass market customer. That's what the Atlas did for them. And the way they got the pricing down on the Atlas is to make it essentially a minivan, with just-adequate power, a less expensive, but perhaps more minivan-like child friendly interior materials and far less off-road capability (because so few people actually need or use real off-road chops).

And they also needed to make it be bigger, as the Touareg, for the price, just doesn't provide the same amount of room as many comparably priced large suv's, which is how many people will compare it (price per size).

It's sad that VW had to do this. I tested a bunch of Q7's and they all felt like less of a vehicle (cheaper looking interior, WAY more squeaks and rattles) than the Touareg TDI I ended up buying. Plus I'd rather be not noticed driving a VW, than being seen in an Audi. But I know that is not how most American buyers think. The Touareg is definitely a perfect example of "you get what you pay for" in that it is a high end European suv. The same can be said for the Atlas, but unfortunately with the negative connotation of the statement - it's an inexpensive (cheap) large suv for families that refuse to buy the minivan that they really should be getting instead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've asked the same question of auto industry friends and the response has been that VW made the Touareg so that it too closely mimicked Audi's Q5 and Q7 and the Cayenne (at least in base and diesel versions), in terms of quality.

And because of that they just didn't have the flexibility on price to offer them to a more mass market customer. That's what the Atlas did for them. And the way they got the pricing down on the Atlas is to make it essentially a minivan, with just-adequate power, a less expensive, but perhaps more minivan-like child friendly interior materials and far less off-road capability (because so few people actually need or use real off-road chops).

And they also needed to make it be bigger, as the Touareg, for the price, just doesn't provide the same amount of room as many comparably priced large suv's, which is how many people will compare it (price per size).

It's sad that VW had to do this. I tested a bunch of Q7's and they all felt like less of a vehicle (cheaper looking interior, WAY more squeaks and rattles) than the Touareg TDI I ended up buying. Plus I'd rather be not noticed driving a VW, than being seen in an Audi. But I know that is not how most American buyers think. The Touareg is definitely a perfect example of "you get what you pay for" in that it is a high end European suv. The same can be said for the Atlas, but unfortunately with the negative connotation of the statement - it's an inexpensive (cheap) large suv for families that refuse to buy the minivan that they really should be getting instead.
Nicely put!

James B.
Duluth, MN.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of course I will buy Touareg TDI over Atlas. I drove Atlas when my Touareg in service and Atlas use a lot of fuel than Touareg does. One day I tested Atlas while I was aggressive in twist road it did horrible and poor handle, Touareg handle anything.

·
Registered
94 Posts
VW never figured out how to sell the Touareg. There is a huge market for similar 2 row SUVs - see Grand Cherokee. I realize the GC starts at a much lower price point, but VW did not get the marketing right about the Touareg. I think when they effed up the TDI they lost a huge reason for the Touareg's small popularity. The Touareg 3.6 v6 gas engine is a weak link at the Touareg price point, but VW kept that engine because they did not want to step on the Q7/Cayenne sales any more than they did.

When we bought our Touareg we looked at the Q7 (did not want the 3rd row), the Q5 (too small/expensive), the MB M/ BMW X5/Cayenne were too expensive and the GC - which was a good choice at the time, but the diesel version was hard to find and too expensive. The Touareg was exactly in the sweet spot. I used to joke with my wife that maybe Audi should have rebadged it as a Q6 and they would have sold better.

VW needed the Atlas to compete with the 3 row/I do not want a minivan crowd (Ford Explorer/Honda Pilot/GM Triplets). They still should have figured a way to sell the Touareg (along side Atlas) in the US, especially since they sell it around the world. This isn't the first time VW has messed up in the USA market and it won't be the last.

·
Registered
16 Posts
agree! VW head quarters need to stop sending the 2nd rate VW's to the USA. I have been in Europe and the VW's there should be in the USA too!.

James B.
Duluth, MN.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was dead set on a Treg after a life of VW's.. the reason why I'm in a Q7 now is because it had became increasingly hard to locate a Treg fully loaded with options I really wanted, for a VDub they were pretty damn expensive so it seems very few loaded em up.. started looking at some Q7's to compare em with since there was not a used Treg TDI Exec in the state, and the larger size is what ended up turning me towards Audi, that and there were many more well optioned choices available.. I was stepping out of my tiny golf TDI and into an SUV because my family had outgrown a little golf, and honestly other than more leg room in the back and headroom it didnt feel really that much bigger than my Golf, whereas Q7 felt like I had an SUV Wagon version of my Golf with that 3rd row.. 2 Adults in the front, 2 Car/Booster seats in the middle, and 2 doggos in the back.... and in the end I paid pretty much what I was expecting to pay for an equivalent loaded VW, the 4 rings on the front didnt really cost me extra oddly enough.

So after wanting a Treg for a really long time, almost bought a V10 after I sold my RS6.. but the new common rail diesels attracted me to buy the only car I have ever bought brand new, then dieselgate let me step into a big diesel SUV of my choice for almost nothing.. When my time finally came.. and I chose its sister vehicle instead because it seemed a better fit at the time..

Funny thing is, the guys over in Europe are dying to get their hands on an Atlas.. we want their cars, they want ours.. were all a bunch of twats for the most part heh.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts