Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 V10 that is in fantastic condition and just turned 52,000 miles. Anyway it's been tucked away at my house in Florida, I live in NJ most of the time, and I just began to miss it as the fall begins to arrive in the NE. So, I flew to Florida a week ago and drove it back. It made me realize just how ridiculously amazing this vehicle is. It's not just the power and joy of the diesel sounds, but also the comfort and ride quality. If there is one negative the head unit sucks in it, but I'm going to start to research those direct fit android replacements.

It's a shame that something this awesome isn't made anymore. It's the one car, and I have a reasonable stable, that I never mind getting in just to drive. If you've never owned one and have the urge or means I suggest doing so before these beasts become extinct--you won't regret it. I believe I am going to buy a second one while I still can. The prices seem low at this point, thus I'll drive mine until it needs to be laid to rest.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Amen, brother! I bought mine with 116,000 miles on it and I'm about to turn 300,000. Last May I made a road trip from Ft. Worth to Nashville to pick up a fiberglass top for my Thing. Put the dog in the back and drove and hiked our way across Texas, Arkansas, and Tennessee and had an absolute BLAST driving it. I pulled a little trailer to put the fiberglass top on and of course you couldn't even tell it was back there.

I also got to make a trip from Ft. Worth to El Paso in Oct 2015. At one point (in the middle of nowhere) I got up over 95 MPH for about 2 hours. (and to be fair, I was caravanning with two state troopers to an emergency event in El Paso).

Please post back what you find out about a replacement head unit because I'd love to get something better, too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow you're the benchmark! I love to hear these stories and we don't have enough in this forum. While Touaregs are great SUV, diesel versions are better and V10s are the greatest.

Maybe we need a road trip thread.

My wife laughs st me because I fret about life after a v10 Touareg and what I can replace it with. I've learned, in the US, nothing can.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Shame you didn't get the 4.2 Tdi, but then VW went and canned that in the UK too!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I just bought my second V10 as the first one I bought in September has a coolant problem and sitting in LA at a VW dealer. I was conned on an eBay sale. The owner claimed that he just had a 100k service but this was not true and the coolant leak ended up in the pan. eBay claims this was fraud and they are going after the seller. The documentation was bogus. I drove it from Colorado to LA and fell in love with it.
Fast forward, I am optimistic that I will get this sorted out and I like the car so much I bought another (2007) in much better condition with all the service records and a warranty. I just drove from the Bay Area up to Whidbey Island Washington and back. GREAT CAR! I'm a 928 fanatic and I didn't think I could find another car that would be as engaging to drive for long distances.
Now to fix and sell the other V10. Can't believe I have two

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bought my second V10 as the first one I bought in September has a coolant problem and sitting in LA at a VW dealer. I was conned on an eBay sale. The owner claimed that he just had a 100k service but this was not true and the coolant leak ended up in the pan. eBay claims this was fraud and they are going after the seller. The documentation was bogus. I drove it from Colorado to LA and fell in love with it.
Fast forward, I am optimistic that I will get this sorted out and I like the car so much I bought another (2007) in much better condition with all the service records and a warranty. I just drove from the Bay Area up to Whidbey Island Washington and back. GREAT CAR! I'm a 928 fanatic and I didn't think I could find another car that would be as engaging to drive for long distances.
Now to fix and sell the other V10. Can't believe I have two
I hope that all works out because having two means choices for fun. Im going to start prowling around for my second. I may get a 07, make it a bit of an off road use.

My other comment was to the other poster. I'd never heard of a 4.2 tdi.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
My other comment was to the other poster. I'd never heard of a 4.2 tdi.
VW had one in the T3 briefly, but according to Nooby it is gone. They never brought them here to the states. Too much hassle to get them certified and cost would have been just like the V10 when new.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As above, only certain markets got the 4.2 Tdi and then it was dropped in some of those. It may be that no one gets it in the T4 now, I don't know.

It was said to be bloody quick and handled a lot better than the V10 as the engine wasn't so heavy and the T3 body was 400 lbs or more lighter anyway.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
How many V10's were imported to the US?
Is there a list by year and options and where they went? We have a list list this that Porsche provides for 928's

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
the V8 4.2 TDI was never sold in North America and its impossible to get one into the US or Canada even if one wanted to. Unfortunate as it is incredible.

As for V10 numbers, I once saw something that said under 1000 made it into the US. Rarest of them all is the 2005 V10 which made it into Canada only, and 6 of those were sold.

I loved my 04, other than the "everything needs to be replaced" tendency of the 04s, it felt exotic every time I started it up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many V10's were imported to the US?
Is there a list by year and options and where they went? We have a list list this that Porsche provides for 928's
Porsche does a great job with that throughout history. I have 04 GT2 and GT3 and there is a good registry and Porsche support for those two cars.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
If someone convinces you to buy a V10 they will simultaneously be your best friend and your worst enemy. Best friend while you are driving it and worst enemy when you get the first repair bill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts