Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I've had my Touareg 13 V6TDI for almost 18 months. So far I have had to replace the tyres twice...each time for bulges in the sidewalls. I keep getting told it is impact damage...go figure. Anyway, the question really is, instead of the 275/45/20, what would be a suitable tyre/wheel combo to use, if I want to get a BIT serious about country travel? (FYI we've joined a lapidary club and they do long weekend travel rock hunting). Don't want to do the Simpson Desert or anything, but need to know what I can fit to make the tyres more dependable...a mate has suggested dropping a rim size or two and putting Bridgestone Duellers on...any thought? Assistance would be appreciated. BTW, would I need to have the speedo recalibrated? If yes, then what would happen if I wanted to have two sets? The original for around town and the others for roughing it?? See my problem ? :confused: :(

·
Registered
423 Posts
Get some 18's and as long as you stay within the recommended tire sizes you won't have any speedo issues. There's a lot of threads on tire size here I bought a set of wheels from only-wheels called Augsburg that look like Audi/VW wheels for $539 shipped. Also your local Costco stocks tires and they have a great package for road hazard and other warranties that comes with them. I went with Bridgestone dueller AT Revo. 2's
https://onlywheels.com/wheels/rtxwheels-augsburg-gunmetal-machined

Land vehicle Vehicle Alloy wheel Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fission2...greatly appreciated rapid response. SO I choose the 18" tyre size from the plate on the driver door frame and all should be good :) wow, that's easier than I thought it would be. Cheers

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
17's

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you can get 17s, often for sale secondhand on Gumtree and eBay. will be from a 7L model, but same pattern and will fit, well at least the pattern I tried when looking at replacing my 7L (decided against it in the end, changeover too much and too much left off the newer 2012 model I was looking at), otherwise the 18s have a reasonable range of choices.

Will get a wider range of tyre choices in 17s with more sidewall height, an advantage if off the tarmac. Also get an LT construction, will be tougher and personally I prefer them for the extra strength when off road. The Bridgestone Duellers have them in LT if you do go that way, plenty of other choices too.

When getting an extra set of wheels try to get at least one spare as well, it can be a long way to get a replacement out here in Oz for the sizes we have, 18s will be hard in some places, whereas 17s will be a bit easier, though 16s which we can't use are easy to find as they fit most ToyMisNis. Even on bitumen, across the Nullarbor you could be a long way from getting a suitable replacement size.

From a personal viewpoint I have the Bridgestone Dueler D697 LT in 265/65R17. This is larger than the standard tyre on there (255/60R17), but it gives me more sidewall and the speedo is almost accurate now (though of course odometer is under reading by a couple of %) I don't mind that.

I would not get too hung up on the speedo/odo as when you got your treg while the odo would be accurate, the speedo would be optimistic. Now at 110 according to GPS it reads 111 on the speedo/cruise control, it used to be 114 with std tyre sizes. (and all speedo's and odo's will change accuracy as the tyres wear anyway, over the long term it really is an average)

Oh and make sure whatever tyre you do go with has the appropriate load rating, somewhere above 108 as I recall, depending on size.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I think the 2.5 Tdi went to Oz.

If so wheels from that model will not fit as the bolt pattern PCD is 5 x 120.

All other Touaregs including yours use a PCD of 5 x 130.

The standard overall diameter for all Touareg wheel/tyre combinations is 29 inches give or take a fraction.

17 inchers will give the deepest side wall and you could go to 30 inches OD which will probably make your speedo accurate as all Touaregs under-read actual speed by European law.

The standard VW 17 inch size/load rating is 235/65/17 108 XL or 255/60/17 106.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Spot on Nooby
R5 did come here and indeed Kensai you will need to avoid these wheels. Vast majority sold though were with 5X130 (V6 Petrol, V6TDI, V8 petrol and V10TFi - though latterly the wheel sizes were 18 and above and had to be on the V10 to fit the larger brakes) as R5 was the entry level and was dropped pretty much from 2009 (may still have been a few around but limited stock as I recall).

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
17 inchers will give the deepest side wall and you could go to 30 inches OD which will probably make your speedo accurate as all Touaregs under-read actual speed by European law.

Missed the 30 minutes allowed to edit post so PLEASE NOTE CORRECTION:

That should have been Touareg speedos OVER-READ actual speed NOT under-read!!

Agolopies!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the correction nooby :) you had me worried there for a while as I have always told my wife (while doing 120) that we're actually only doing about 114...but having said that, my Touareg is a late 2013, 3.0 litre 180Kw V6TDI. It came with the 20s and is mainly used around town. Its hardest trips to date have been to the Blue Waterholes in Namadgi (via the 'scenic route through the forest' along the fire trails) and to Lightning Ridge - basically all tar...so nothing out of the ordinary. Next is to do a bit more inland...BTW, does anyone find that the T has issues with harder stuff? By this I mean my Landrover Disco mate says ours probably can't handle heavy going. Comments?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Funny that, I've said the same thing to my wife too only we'd be doing that in MPH not KPH!

As for your chum's comments, I'd say that depends on his definition of heavy going.

The T3 is very capable off-road on the right tyres up to the point where the owner will most probably back out for fear of damage before the car does especially if you have no sump guard!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks

I've had my Touareg 13 V6TDI for almost 18 months. So far I have had to replace the tyres twice...each time for bulges in the sidewalls. I keep getting told it is impact damage...go figure. Anyway, the question really is, instead of the 275/45/20, what would be a suitable tyre/wheel combo to use, if I want to get a BIT serious about country travel? (FYI we've joined a lapidary club and they do long weekend travel rock hunting). Don't want to do the Simpson Desert or anything, but need to know what I can fit to make the tyres more dependable...a mate has suggested dropping a rim size or two and putting Bridgestone Duellers on...any thought? Assistance would be appreciated. BTW, would I need to have the speedo recalibrated? If yes, then what would happen if I wanted to have two sets? The original for around town and the others for roughing it?? See my problem ? :confused: :(
I have a spare set of 19 inch with Cooper xeons on my V10, they are brilliant but I spend 40% offroad

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for this David, appreciate the response...what wheel is the 19? and where can it be purchased. I've tried a number of wheel houses to no avail..I actually want just steel, not alloy, I figure that the steel can be repaired.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same vehicle and TDI engine with stock 18" tire/rims. After 14K miles... have had NO problems to report.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kensai, dare say that if you are visiting Blue waterholes, you may live in Canberra?
I have a spare set of 17" alloy rims that I am interested in either selling or sharing as I rarely use them. Rims are in good condition with minimal marks.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
By this I mean my Landrover Disco mate says ours probably can't handle heavy going. Comments?
I hope he is talking about the tyres only, otherwise he is talking through a place other than his mouth!!! With the right tyres and the correct preparation, (as well a blindfold for the wife) I have taken my V6 TDI pretty much through anything you can take any 4x4. I would conservatively say that it would be very much in a par with the Disco, and I think I am being kind.

I run a spare set of 17" Canyon rims with 245x70R17 Cooper STT's and with traction anywhere is possible.

Stuart

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Thanks for this David, appreciate the response...what wheel is the 19? and where can it be purchased. I've tried a number of wheel houses to no avail..I actually want just steel, not alloy, I figure that the steel can be repaired.
For several years I would have told you steelies aren't available but then a year or so back I found some and they were more expensive than new VW alloys!

However, quite recently someone found some and posted on here I think . . .

Try the Search facility.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Replacement Tires

Hi folks

If your Treg came with Goodyear Eagle LS tires, that is a big problem. I had to replace mine and did so with Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. I have had no flat spots or bulges from any offroad driving or towing. The Pirellis are superior tires. Kept the same 20". If you are doing serious offroad that may be an entirely different matter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts