Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TDI did a great job with a J/80. Total trailer weight was around 5k, plus four pax in the car. The real story is about the drag of all the rigging, etc. Managed 15mpg r/t between LA and San Diego. Just set the cruise at 65 and watched the miles tick by.

Also, totally unscientific: But based on the instant econ readout, the consumption took a nose dive when I sped up and cruised above 2,000 rpm. Also, I tried drafting a semi a few times - as you'd expect, the slip stream did wonders helping get air up and over the boat - econ shot up about 30% or more. Didn't have the balls to do that much, though.

Oh, and we previously used a V6 Explorer for this trip. Usually averaged around 9mpg!

·
Registered
338 Posts
The keel is fairly heavy and keeps the sailboat upright in the water. When you have a lot of wind pushing sideways on the sail, you need the weight to keep the boat upright to catch the wind better. The keel probably works fairly well to keep the sailboat upright on a trailer as well.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
See, I told you I knew nothing about boats!! I always thought it functioned more as a rudder. I didn't know it also functioned as ballast.

I thought about getting a TDI, but the extra initial cost and long term maintenance didn't make sense since I sadly have nothing to tow. :- /

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The boat weighs about 2900lb empty, and 1400lb of that is in the bottom of the keel, which is about 8" of the pavement. The trailer is about 1500lb, so if you look at the unit as a whole, I'd wager the CG is about 2-3' off the ground.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Nice rig - not exactly set up for cornering like a sports car though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts