Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there folks, I've been a member for a while but quiet on this forum. I've just managed to pick myself up a lowish km R50. Been fascinated by the V10 and also been really happy with the 2014 TDi V6 I'm moving on to make way for the R50. It's 2009 with 100kms and full VW service from new.

Will have it in a couple of weeks, being freighted from qld to WA. Will have some duties towing my 24' caravan which I'm hoping the car will have no difficulties doing. I'm going into this with eyes wide open, read most of the VW Self Study Programs on the V10, hours of reading online as well and good advice picked up from many on here too about various aspects.

Will keep in touch.

Pete.

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
Hi Pete,

Welcome.

We should try and organise a social g'day gathering for the WA folk.

Unfortunately I work weekends (finish at 2pm) so it'd have to be somewhere local to the city.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your car

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve nope not that one, I went to see it but want funded to act, was a good buy for some one. Mujhe is white from qld.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
I edited my response just after I pressed 'respond', as I managed to read you have purchased ex Qld.

White? mmmmm....nice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My son has just bought an R32 as well, awesome car, I thought I had to join him with the Daddy R!

Pete

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
Excellent Pete.

I may have some 'goodies' for your RNS510. (does he have the RNS in the R32?)

Stay in touch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI Steve, sorry for slow reply, was meal time here and helping the neighbour with his Bentley Continental GTC battery issues. So my 16yo sons R32 has the RCD510 currently and he is on a budget - a tight budget. So he has bought an RCD330 which will give him BT plus Apple CarPlay which in turn will give him maps/navigation. Not going to an RNS even though I do like the RNS in my current 2014 Touareg. I love the R32.

Not sure how to upload photos here, will figure that out and get you some pics of the white one.

Regards

Pete.

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
Nice work Pete, she looks awesome.

Re the headunit in the Golf.... he's making a wise choice. VW stopped providing map updates for the RNS510 a few years ago. While the RNS keeps everything OEM, it's development/updates have now come to an end, so the Carplay Headunits (Android etc) are the way to go.

An R50 is rare...a white one even more so.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes thanks Steve, the RCD330 is straight from an Amorok so I'm happy that's it's still all VW.

Here's
AC792741-9040-43D3-BAFD-1B373244546E.jpeg
D07352F2-969A-4F09-BF99-A44DF16E6187.jpeg
C3885B4B-7C77-4D12-BE15-D78AF4AFB557.jpeg
some of the R32.

Regards

Pete

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a question regarding the R50 regarding off-road capability. I think in going to the R50 is slightly a backward step from the 4XMOTION 2014 Touareg. My query relates to sand driving. With the 2014 I set the diff locks both ON (centre and rear), in the R50 it only has centre diff lock not rear. So how does the car behave when a front and a rear tyre loose traction? Does it apply brakes to the slipping tyre at the rear? Is the rear diff an LSD or an ‘open’ diff? At least an LSD would part cope with some slip at the back between L & R side.

Keen to hear from anyone with first hand experience of an R50 on sand driving.

Regards

Pete.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I believe they are open diffs.

In the case of no physical rear diff lock (as most Treg's are optioned), it uses what VW call EDL (Electronic Diff lock) which is actuated by the ABS system which applies brake to the spinning wheel to transfer drive to the one with traction. The centre diff can also be actuated by ESP.

Any 7LA or 7L6 without rear diff lock will act in the same manner on sand.

Lower tyre pressure is the most important thing to give a bigger footprint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts