Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was negotiating the purchase of a 2016 back in August, I asked the salesman about winter tires, which he quoted. I asked if the price included TPMS, and he replied the Treg uses the ABS sensor like the Audi's do, there is no rim mounted TPMS. I questioned that, so he called service and they confirmed there is no wheel mounted TPMS in the 2016 Treg

I didn't buy the tires, and did some on line shopping, every site I visited said I needed TPMS. I disregarded this thinking these websites were not up to date with the changes for 2016. But I developed a doubt and called the dealership and talked with someone in service who once again confirmed there were no TPMS.

I purchased tires and rims from a local tire shop that I've dealt with for years, and told the owner, I didn't need TPMS because VW has this wonderful system of using the ABS system to monitor the tire pressure.

Today I put the new winter tires on and went for a drive........ you already know what happened next.....don't you.

I called the dealer again and this time they said, yes there are TPMS in the Treg, all the other 2016 models use the ABS system, just not the Treg, but don't worry you really don't need them, the system recognizes there are no TPMS in the wheels and disables they system all by itself........frigg'n wonderful!

My first service is coming up in another 3K, I'm having them install the TPMS for only an additional $500.00, labour included. :crying:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow! I replaced the rims on my Treg for some factory 18" so I could install bigger tires. I definitely installed a new set of TPMS sensors in them. The factory ones stayed in the factory rims because I use them as a spare. Sorry for the dealer/service department miscommunication!

·
Registered
787 Posts
You asked a salesman a technical question? That's dumb, but you've already worked that out!

Depends on local/country regulations whether you need working TPMS on all sets of tyres - I thought I could get away with no TPMS on my winter set but discovered that UK law now requires it.

I paid 128 UKP, about 150 USD for a set from ebay - ironically a set specified for Audi Q7 so they do use them as well.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You asked a salesman a technical question?
Back in the "good old days" a salesman may not have had 3 degrees in this and that but knew all the in and outs of the product that they were selling.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, but the salesman confirmed with the service tech, and I had called the service dept just before I bought winter tires 3 mths later.
You don't require TPMS in Canada, but I'm extremely OCD, so they must be installed.

·
Super Moderator
9,383 Posts
I wouldn't install them. I plan to turn my system off once the sensors die. I am not fond of the damn system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't install them. I plan to turn my system off once the sensors die. I am not fond of the damn system.
On my 2016 the system turns itself off if there is no signal from the sensors.

But we go down to -28C in the winters, and it never fails there seems to be one tire a year on one of my vehicles that goes low overnight. It's usually the needle inside the valve stem that is the culprit. A little bit of moisture in there and it expands allow the needle to pass.

I'm also in no mans land, so its a good quick check before leaving the comforts of home in the middle of winter.

·
Super Moderator
9,383 Posts
On my 2016 the system turns itself off if there is no signal from the sensors.
I know yours turns it's self off, mine doesn't reason I said I will turn it off once the sensors die. I have VCDS.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Candubrain - Moisture in the valve stem together with extreme low temperatures makes a pretty good case for a nitrogen fill for the tires. Nice dry nitrogen from a high pressure cylinder.

·
Registered
209 Posts
While on the subject, when I traded my 2013 for a 2016, the TPMS modules in my winter tire set was no longer compatible and needed to be upgraded. I sold the 2013-compliant TPMS modules to someone on this forum to recoup some of the cost. I like keeping an eye on the tire pressures. cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts