Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
346 Posts
2004, 5-cylinders, at 278,000 km on in?! Impressive. This simply says that you've taken care of her quite preciously.

I've recently updated the stock DVD navigation system for my 2004 VR6 with the Ownice C500 DGS7903F, upgraded the front dashcam to VIOFO 119S, and ran the Ownice C500 DVR 1080p model from front to the rear. A few other better models from Pioneer may be a better choice since it can utilize smartphone/iPhone connection to display onto the head unit. I also installed the cheapy licence plate light mod with a backup camera-LED combo from eBay for $25. Ran the RCA line from trunk gate to head unit. I stay away from wireless back up camera.

As for the iDrive, I wish we can strip one from the old BMW and Rolls-Royce series, and slap it into the T'reg. Wife decided she wants a HUD-like system installed that can project either the head unit or her Galaxy S7 onto the windshield. I turned to her and handed her my wallet.

· Registered
346 Posts
For the '04 T'reg, the dimension is pretty much the same: 7in din head unit (HU). It will boils down to whether or not your vehicle has the navigation package (DVD vs CD), which has a default digital amplifier, or the standard radio, which has the analog. This comes into play on how easily the HU can be installed, vs the nightmare behind the digital amp connection to the latest and greatest HU, with a built-in digital amp as well. Quite a few of us DIY-ers gone through various nightmares in finding the solution for subtle issues when it comes to upgrading audio electronics. So far, Pioneer's HUs proven to be the least of the headaches on the digital amp nightmares. If yours don't come with navigation package, you're golden to shove in whatever 7in dual din unit you like.

Suggestion:
- Wait a bit. If you're desperate, just upgrade with a bluetooth receiver-transceiver for your old HU for now. Once other manufacturers release their latest and greatest models with Android Auto/CarPlay HUs, you'll also get the latest and greatest built for the smartphone-to-HU connection. The designs are being released later this year, and production for the HUs are for early next year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.