Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just thought I would share a pic of my 2004, automatic, 5 cylinder diesel. 278,000 km on the clock. Set me back $5,900.

Really happy with it so far. I have only driven it from Gosford to home on the north coast of NSW. My mate who owns a mechanic shop went over/serviced it for me when I got home. Said everything is in good condition for the age.

Still deciding on what to do with the rims as they are 20 inch. I might try and downgrade to 17s but not to sure yet.

I intend to do a bit of beach driving and tow a caravan (parents) every once in a while not to far from home.

Things I want to do:

- Install an idrive
- Look at aftermarket springs for more clearance
- Replace the old CD player to a bluetooth, reverse camera model.

I changed jobs so I had to sell my 14 model colorado. With having a tight budget I wanted something that could tow 3500kgs, take us off semi off road/beach driving and be comfortable and the Treg ticked all the boxes.

Hopefully I will get down to the beach soon so I will let you know how I go

Attachments

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Hi guys just thought I would share a pic of my 2004, automatic, 5 cylinder diesel. 278,000 km on the clock. Set me back $5,900.

Really happy with it so far. I have only driven it from Gosford to home on the north coast of NSW. My mate who owns a mechanic shop went over/serviced it for me when I got home. Said everything is in good condition for the age.

Still deciding on what to do with the rims as they are 20 inch. I might try and downgrade to 17s but not to sure yet.

I intend to do a bit of beach driving and tow a caravan (parents) every once in a while not to far from home.

Things I want to do:

- Install an idrive
- Look at aftermarket springs for more clearance
- Replace the old CD player to a bluetooth, reverse camera model.

I changed jobs so I had to sell my 14 model colorado. With having a tight budget I wanted something that could tow 3500kgs, take us off semi off road/beach driving and be comfortable and the Treg ticked all the boxes.

Hopefully I will get down to the beach soon so I will let you know how I go

Yea welcome nice look.
With those rims just be aware that as std the R5 has a different wheel stud pattern to all other Touregs.
Not sure how 20" wheel were fitted.
Either by adaptors, Transporter wheels or some one changed the knuckles?

regards
Drag

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
To fit the standard hubs, the R5 requires 120 PCD wheels.

All other Touaregs take 130 PCD.

It's not unheard of for owners to buy the wrong wheels for their car!

Key thing on the early R5 [and V10] is using EXACTLY the right engine oil - VW505.01 or VW506.01 - to avoid premature camshaft lobe wear.

You'll find this thread useful if you haven't see it:

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,456 Posts
Welcome!

It looks like the paint is still in good shape and yes, be really sure to use only the correct oil. Good engine, put super, super, super picky about what oil it will accept.

Don't read Nooby's list if you easily suffer from car anxiety. You won't be able to sleep for a week. (lolz)

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
LOL!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My mechanic went to change the brake pads and rotors yesterday only to find out they are all different. Looks like the fronts are from a Transporter. So maybe when previous owners have changed the rims they might have stuffed around with brakes etc.

I will pass on the info about the rim size. After reading what you guys have said I think I might go back to standard

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
The reason the R5 has 120 PCD wheels is exactly because VW used Transporter parts!

You need to do a bit of reading up on that thread I posted!

Has your mechanic not worked on Touaregs, and specifically R5s, before?

Do make sure your engine has EXACTLY the correct oil in it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
2004, 5-cylinders, at 278,000 km on in?! Impressive. This simply says that you've taken care of her quite preciously.

I've recently updated the stock DVD navigation system for my 2004 VR6 with the Ownice C500 DGS7903F, upgraded the front dashcam to VIOFO 119S, and ran the Ownice C500 DVR 1080p model from front to the rear. A few other better models from Pioneer may be a better choice since it can utilize smartphone/iPhone connection to display onto the head unit. I also installed the cheapy licence plate light mod with a backup camera-LED combo from eBay for $25. Ran the RCA line from trunk gate to head unit. I stay away from wireless back up camera.

As for the iDrive, I wish we can strip one from the old BMW and Rolls-Royce series, and slap it into the T'reg. Wife decided she wants a HUD-like system installed that can project either the head unit or her Galaxy S7 onto the windshield. I turned to her and handed her my wallet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just had a quick read through that post. So much good info I will go through it more later on. I wish I seen it before I looked at mine. I still would have bought it but I would have had a better indication of what to look for/questions to ask the seller

Brakes/rotors are now sorted. He did a service as well and put the correct oil in....pheew :)

Good call about the Pioneer or equivalent. I will want a head unit so I can control my phone through. I just need to do some research on units that fit Tregs.

·
Registered
346 Posts
For the '04 T'reg, the dimension is pretty much the same: 7in din head unit (HU). It will boils down to whether or not your vehicle has the navigation package (DVD vs CD), which has a default digital amplifier, or the standard radio, which has the analog. This comes into play on how easily the HU can be installed, vs the nightmare behind the digital amp connection to the latest and greatest HU, with a built-in digital amp as well. Quite a few of us DIY-ers gone through various nightmares in finding the solution for subtle issues when it comes to upgrading audio electronics. So far, Pioneer's HUs proven to be the least of the headaches on the digital amp nightmares. If yours don't come with navigation package, you're golden to shove in whatever 7in dual din unit you like.

Suggestion:
- Wait a bit. If you're desperate, just upgrade with a bluetooth receiver-transceiver for your old HU for now. Once other manufacturers release their latest and greatest models with Android Auto/CarPlay HUs, you'll also get the latest and greatest built for the smartphone-to-HU connection. The designs are being released later this year, and production for the HUs are for early next year.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
Good. Glad your service went okay. Now enjoy it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.