Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I have already made extensive use of the information here. Thanks to everyone. These kind of communities are crucial to me since I buy cars that cost way more to maintain than I can afford - if fixing at the shop that is.

Having owned a 2000 Saab 95 4cyl wagon (maintaining it for 5 years before rolling it over last fall), I feel I have been amply introduced to "europeans" as well as DIY car maintenance. My philosophy is preventative maintenance and basically keeping everything stock. My Saab was lifted 3 inches and did pretty well off road, as well as being nicely appointed on the interior. I wanted equal or better luxury and more suited to off road. After months of research I was focused on a Lexus RX400h hybrid (which I planned on lifting) or a land cruiser/Lexus LX470 or GX470 which would not require lifting. However, I had no desire for a third row seat. But THEN, after months of that, I finally discovered the Touareg.

The more I read, the more I began to desire the vehicle and ultimately forgot about purchasing the boring, prevalent, and easy to maintain vehicles. I realized that I wanted the luxury and the off road capability of the touareg - and that I loved to maintain vehicles, so why not chose one that is very complicated and expensive to maintain? More fun problem solving.

My budget was 14,000. I could potentially purchase a Touareg with the same general stats like mileage, age, etc. for far less than the other vehicles I was looking at so it was a good situation. I looked at 5 Touaregs in Portland USA. All of them were quite "hammered on" except the last one - a 2004 V10 TDI with 80k and in perfect condition, practically a collectors car. It also had air suspension, rear locking differential, navigation, accent lighting, 4 seat climate control, 2 sets of rims (18 and 19 inch), as well as a 50x70 rooftop basket and all paperwork. Ultimately, I was able to purchase the vehicle for 13,500.

I would be taking the car 1,300 miles back to Colorado and a 9,000 foot elevation in the mountains. That is where I am now. The car is already not liking the altitude or the cold, but I will not get into the multitude of warnings and Faults just yet. I did have the car inspected thoroughly before purchase and it was in quite good shape though did need some minor work to bring it to perfect.

Since purchase (before the long voyage) I changed the oil 3x in a couple weeks to freshen things up, changed the front brake pads (have new rotors but didn't have time for those yet), replaced the engine air filters, got a Ross Tech vagcom and VCDS up and running, cleaned the engine bay and suspension parts and brakes, purchased new front control arms, cabin filter, and bentley manual on CDrom. The bentley manual has not gotten here yet but I have a long list of things on the diag scan to figure out.

I plan to do a transmission flush, brake flush, coolant flush, transfer case flush, as well as the front and rear differential - or at least take a look at the fluid in there and see if it needs it. It needs both front control arms due to bushing wear and excessive inner tread wear on the tires. Also needs a front mid parking sensor, needs the tire pressure sensors done, and probably some other things to be tip top. I believe there is a rear differential issue as well as load balancing sensors and I'd also like to rebuild the compressor. And flush the power steering fluid.

The vehicle has never seen any off road use - but it will soon. I live in a tiny ski town and won't be using it to commute, mostly just weekend excursions. I'd like to take measures so that I never get stranded in the wilderness. Again, I am very glad to be here on this forum and hope to help others as well as be helped. I am going to need it. Hope this wasn't too much for an intro. I appreciate any others thoughts or comments. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
So you are the one who out bid me lol. Congrats on the purchase, very clean indeed.
Here is the carfox if you didnt already pull it before you bought it.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you are the one who out bid me lol. Congrats on the purchase, very clean indeed.
Here is the carfox if you didnt already pull it before you bought it.
I did carfax it before purchase, and thanks for the screenshots though!

I was wondering why someone in California would want this one because I thought you could not register the '04 V10 due to emissions laws. That true? Or does that not apply in your county?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

Suggestion: I don't see any mention of the batteries being replaced or their age. Before you start chasing down random fault codes you might want to confirm the batteries are good. If they're more than say 5 years old, just replace them. Then clear all the fault codes, and see which ones come back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on your purchase!

Suggestion: I don't see any mention of the batteries being replaced or their age. Before you start chasing down random fault codes you might want to confirm the batteries are good. If they're more than say 5 years old, just replace them. Then clear all the fault codes, and see which ones come back.
I don't recall seeing battery replacement in the records. I suppose given the moderate climates the car has been in that they could be original.

Also, the only time I have any faults show up in the instrument panel are when starting after a colder night, and they go away after the next start, and don't show up in VCDS. Voltage levels are fine as far as the meter. Just need to open up the seat and the trunk and check the hot stamp date on the batteries to check for sure i would imagine.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Odd fault lights are one of the signs of a duff battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did carfax it before purchase, and thanks for the screenshots though!

I was wondering why someone in California would want this one because I thought you could not register the '04 V10 due to emissions laws. That true? Or does that not apply in your county?
They can be registered used with over 7,500 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts