Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '04 V10 Touareg with 107K+. I bought it with a few issues but I have my 7.3L PSD as my daily driver while I work them out.

First, the center support bearing bushing for the driveshaft was out. I replaced that with the Vertex Drive Shaft Clamping Bearing Support Mount. Hopefully it will be the permanent fix they claim. I do have a heavy vibration when getting up to speed around 40mph and 60mph but that might be related to another issue I have yet to diagnose.

Next, the exhaust was bellowing out white smoke. I pulled both the lower intercooler tubes and oil poured out. I have since removed both intercoolers and cleaned them and the upper tubes up to the EGR valves. The white smoke has cleared up significantly. There are still occasional times where white smoke pumps out exhaust. I think next I'll take the intake manifolds off and clean.
I have removed one of the lower cats and seen that they are pretty clogged up. I plan on making downpipes when I'm ready to do the tuning. I know those clogged cats are not doing the turbos any good.

Another issue is a rough idle but I hope that might be addressed when I clean the intake manifolds. My Autel shows codes for random misfires but I can't view any PIDS. I am going to purchase the Ross Tech to help better diagnose. My worst fear is that I'll need a camshaft or two.

I plan on doing all the work myself. How far can you tear into these V10 without dropping the motors out?
I am excited to tear into this motors and see how it works. I haven't worked on many TDIs. I mainly work on Powerstroke, Duramax and Cummins (order of preference). What are some other issues I should look for? What are some other upgrades or aftermarket products available for the V10?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Can't help you on the TDI issues, I have a V8 gasser, but I CAN tell you that you will LOVE VCDS! After you receive yours, join up on their forums, too. I don't know how much V10 specific info will be there, but there's a fair amount of stuff on the Touareg and other vehicles that use our systems in the VAG.

Welcome!

·
Registered
196 Posts
2x on VCDS.

A chiptune on a V10 can unleash some serious axle twisting trans trashing power :eek:

Turbos require engine removal. So do camshafts - something I'd look into.

Oil type is always a heated debate subject, my recommendation, and what I use in our 04 V10 is a 5w40. I choose Mobil 1 TDT. It does burn at a slightly quicker rate than some other oils, but offers excellent protection for the PD camshafts. Never use 5w30.

-J

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
You MUST run the correct oil to avoid premature camshaft lobe wear.

It is 505.01 or 506.01 and NOTHING ELSE!
I would never, ever use a 506.01 oil in a non DPF V10. People with 4 cylinder PD TDIs who tried this saw massive camshaft wear. 506.01 is designed to reduce fuel consumption at the expense of better lubrication. It takes a lot of saved fuel to pay for an engine out cam job on a V10!

Remember that the valve lobes on many PD camshafts are improperly designed. Their ramp angle is too steep, appropriate for an engine with mechanical lifters but not for one with self adjusting lifters. An oil which is not up to snuff will exploit this weakness and wear the lobes and lifters out in a hurry.

If you feel it necessary to stick with a vw type approved oil, use only 5w40 505.01. Not 5w30. Not 0w30.

Something like Castrol EDGE Turbo Diesel 5w40, Liqui Moly Diesel High Tech 5w40, or Pentosin High Performance II HP2 5w40 are all 505.01 compliant.

-J

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did change the oil out with Liqui Moly 5w-40 but with the misfire and the slightly rough idle I think I might be looking at a camshaft. I'm just waiting for the VCDS so I can see what is going on.

·
Registered
691 Posts
that's very alarming compu 85, i thought the 506.01 was a long life oil with twice the oil change interval of 505.01 ie 15000km compared to 7500km? maybe you mobil and shell oils are different to ours but both companies here in Oz definitively exclude PD V10's on their application lists.

Miker6 hope you get it sorted without to much drama.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ragman, I can't say what the oils are like in other countries. PDs arrived in 2004 here in the USA, and camshaft wear has been a concern from the beginning. Mechanics I talk to say cars that got 5w30 505.01 oils always showed more wear than ones that got 5w40s, 5w30 cars often needing a cam by the first timing belt at 100,000 miles.

I have no oil analysis reports handy to back this up, but I suspect that the 506.01 oils spec'd for the DPF V10s the USA got in 07 and 08 is one of the reasons they have cam wear issues.

Our V10 got 5w40 505.01 from 0-140,000 miles, and now gets Mobil 1 5w40. From what I can tell the camshafts are still in ok shape as the truck drives great. :)

I imagine that there are services like Blackstone labs in your area... if you're concerned about your oil not protecting your motor get it tested. The tests cost me just $20 - cheap insurance. They showed that I can safely run 12,000 mile oil changes on our V10 with the Mobil oil. If I got something even better like Shaffers I'd suspect I could go almost 20k!

-J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts