Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to try these since so many of you swear how great additives are.
I just ordered a case of this stuff, and I will be using it in both my 2L and 3L TDIs.
The 2L has 249k kms on it, and has never had anything other than pump fuel put into it..... it's never given me any issues as far as gelling, fuel freezing, etc.
The 3L has 108k kms on it, but I've only had it for the last 8k, so I don't know if the previous owner used anything in the past.

I will attempt to report back on results if I notice any differences, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interested to see if you notice any differences.
Here in Australia I try to use "BP Ultimate Diesel" which has some cleaning properties in our v8 TDI.
Haven't had any issues, but then nor have you.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
869 Posts
In Europe, there's a minimum amount of cleaners that's mandatory with big brand fuel using more cleaner and even more in the high grade fuel.

Cleaners will improve an engine that's in poor condition but won't do anything if it's in good condition.

I use supermarket cheapest fuel but with a shot of Millers Power Ecomax every 1,000 miles - I can't tell any difference, though DIESEL POWER ECOMAX | Millers Oils - Advanced Lubricants, Oils and Fuel Additives

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am also looking into doing the same. I am looking for the cetane and lube increase. What made you decide on this product vs the 150 others? There are many that stand out and many that get great reviews. Just curious on your choice.

Being further north, you obviously need to worry about the colder temperatures.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
869 Posts
I am also looking into doing the same. I am looking for the cetane and lube increase. What made you decide on this product vs the 150 others? There are many that stand out and many that get great reviews. Just curious on your choice.

Thanks.

As I understand it, any Cetane increase is minor and increasing it doesn't have the same effect as raising the octane on petrol/gasoline engines.

·
Registered
944 Posts
As I understand it, any Cetane increase is minor and increasing it doesn't have the same effect as raising the octane on petrol/gasoline engines.
Not on power, but it definitely makes fuel burn better, which in turn lowers the amount of soot generated and also makes the engine run smoother. Diesel additives also usually help with fuel gelling, even though that generally shouldn't be a problem, but in the most extreme climates.

·
Registered
281 Posts
For the record, I am not swearing how great fuel additives are. I use a lubricity formula in the Touareg as an insurance policy against a fuel pump failure due to the HPFP and out area's low quality fuel.

For reference, I have a 2003 7.3L E-350, a 2004 Jetta wagon (1.9L), and a 2008 Chevy pickup. All are at 200,000 miles +/- 15,000. I had not added any sort of additive to them for more than a few thousand miles to see if it made a difference. This past summer, I had to replace the injectors on my Duramax due to excessive return flow. The cost was $3,200 plus two brutal days in the garage. Had the job been performed in a shop, I'm guessing it would have cost me twice that. None of the other vehicles has ever had any fuel system work performed on them. The injector failure was almost certainly a function of fuel quality, or lack thereof. However, if I had been adding Stanadyne Performance Formula to those three vehicles (and that's the one I would use if I used a general additive), I calculate that it would have cost me $7,000 - $8,000USD over those 600,000 miles. If your cars get better mileage, the cost goes way down.

There is supposedly a fuel economy increase when using additives, but I have not been able to discern one when I experimented with using them.

Full disclosure: Following the injector replacement, I started using the Stanadyne Lubricity Formula in my all of my diesel powered vehicles. I can't say if it is doing anything and I'm not sure it pays off economically even it if does do something, but it sort of makes me feel better.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks.
Nothing specific... just lots of reading, and a reputable "well known" brand.
It was also a product that I could find and order online on this side of the border for a reasonable cost..... bringing stuff across the border adds all sorts of fees and such.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use it in the cold months as insurance. Like I stated before, got a batch of diesel during a cold snap last year that froze up the fuel filter. In a few weeks I'll stop using it and just use pump fuel. I dunno about needing extra lubricity or cetane boost. If the fuel pump grenades between now and 120,000 VW will buy a new one! Before I hit 120,000 I'll be in a full size (Expedition or Yukon) or trade for a very low mile 2016 Reef Blue (there is a Lux and an Exec on autotrader now, the Lux is a good deal but I kinda want an Exec) I just dont have the green light from the wife now, sigh....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First update:
I am now on my first "treated" tanks in both the 2L & the 3L TDIs.
I will attempt to see if there's any MPG improvement or anything. In terms of startup\running, no noticeable difference.
It was -20dec C last night, and about -15dec C when I left for work in the 3L. It started as usual and as expected.
It's supposed to be brisk over the next 2-3 days, so I'm going to let my 2L sit and freeze "off the block heater" as a test to see if it fires up after sitting for a week in cold temps. (not that I wouldn't expect it to not do so - pre-treatment)

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In an interesting turn of events, I just did my 250k (kms) service on my 2L TDI this weekend, and to my absolute shock, I now see evidence of metal flakes in my fuel filter housing...... I'm basically driving a time bomb at this point.

I am not in an interesting position..... I continue to use the treatment and potentially prevent the HPFP from grenading, or I continue using untreated fuel as I have thus far and let it go bang...... luckily I still have about 50k worth of milage left until my extended emissions warranty expires, so I'm not really sure what I will do. Ideally, I'd like to to let go closer to the 300k mark, so that it gets replaced as late as possible in the warranty.

That being said, I'm going to treat the fuel in order to prolong the HPFP life as long as possible.... this will be a good test for the claimed benefits of this treatment.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I always put about 1/2 a gallon of biodiesel made out of virgin soy, not waste stock, in the last 1/4 tank of fuel, drive the car for 15 miles, then do the oil and fuel filter change. I want that HPFP bathed in very high lubricity fuel before changing out that fuel filter. I also top the fuel filter cannister up to the top with diesel fuel before I button up the lid of the fuel filter canister.

Honestly, I don't understand why people buy very expensive german diesel Common Rail engines, then go and run the cheapest fuel they can find through it, and risk wrecking an expensive fuel system. Or they run some jet fuel, or used motor oil, or waste vegetable oil as fuel. Buy some decent name brand diesel fuel, find a reputable fueling station. I try to run Chevron, or Conoco Phillips, or Mobil diesel fuel in my TDI's. I avoid Shell and Valero, they do provide me with about 9 to 12% less MPG in my fueling logs. YMMV, those are my measured statistics, pencil and paper.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not familiar with the bio you run, but if I recall correctly, you're only allowed to run B5 max on the CRs with DPFs........
I also recall people with CRs finding flakes in their canister as early as their first filter change.... some have had their pumps blow up while in new vehicle warranty, others later on..... there are so many potential contributing factors that it makes it really hard to safeguard against them all.

In all honesty, getting to this milage without ever using any additive prior to my last tank, I'm satisfied with the longevity of the pump. (assuming that my fuel stations don't always carry the most pristine grades of diesel)

We shall see what happens.

·
Registered
944 Posts
In an interesting turn of events, I just did my 250k (kms) service on my 2L TDI this weekend, and to my absolute shock, I now see evidence of metal flakes in my fuel filter housing...... I'm basically driving a time bomb at this point.
Not necessarily. Sounds more like the fuel filter did it's job and actually prevented particles going up the fuel line that could have damaged the pump or the injectors. Anything that got past the filter most likely also passed the pump and injectors without damaging them.

However, note that when you're first starting to use fuel additives, especially those that also promise cleaning of the fuel lines, it is advised that you replace the fuel filter after a few thousand kms, because the additive just might have started washing away slowly all the deposits in the system that have been created there over the years, which in turn will obviously and at least partially end up in the fuel filter. What you've observed could be the result of just that.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
However, note that when you're first starting to use fuel additives, especially those that also promise cleaning of the fuel lines, it is advised that you replace the fuel filter after a few thousand kms, because the additive just might have started washing away slowly all the deposits in the system that have been created there over the years, which in turn will obviously and at least partially end up in the fuel filter. What you've observed could be the result of just that.
Very plausible.......

I must also make everyone aware, that contrary to popular advice (and certainly frowned upon in our TDI circles), I always run my tank down to nothing.... I very seldom fuel up with less than 50L in the Jetta's 55L tank.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
According to this post - there is no difference in diesel fuel at differently branded stations.

From post #27:
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...-183978-3.html
Author - 40acres

"The best diesel fuel is fuel that is purchased from clean, well maintained stations with modern fiberglass storage tanks and high sales volume. I currently haul fuel for a living to retail stations. Diesel fuel branding by manufacture is irrelevant in most parts of the Country (USA). Manufacturers (refiners) usually transport their products through common pipeline systems and the product ends up in common storage tanks at tank farm facilities until it is loaded on a truck to it's retail point. Diesel fuel branding in most areas is non-existent. Gasoline shares this same transport/storage scenario however when gasoline is loaded in the delivery truck the branding companies additive is injected into the gasoline common stock as it loads making the "branded" product. Since the gasoline stock is common and the EPA requires additive in all gasoline sold to control engine deposits branding is largely marketing with probably very little difference in the product. Diesel fuel usually doesn't have this branding additive injection and when you see a station branded it usually pertains to the gasoline only. There is a difference between regular gas/diesel stocks and premium gas/diesel stocks but again they are stored in common storage tanks respectively regardless of brand."
From post #27:
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...-183978-3.html

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
According to this post - there is no difference in diesel fuel at differently branded stations.
I believe that most of us that mention various stations are concerned about their specific tanks\maintenance\turnover rate.
As you can imagine, even if the refinery fuel source is the same, you can have various station scenarios

Fuel Station A
- has well maintained pumps with filters replaced on time, no leaky tanks, dispenses lots of volume, gets new load of diesel each week

Fuel Station B
- never replaces pump filters, or does so very seldom, has old leaky tanks that get contaminated by ground water, is in a less popular area and get a new load of diesel every 6 months

Even if the diesel came from the same refinery, and even the same delivery truck, I'd want to fill up at station A over Station B

·
Registered
253 Posts
I can assure you that the diesel fuel in California, with CARB and the AQMD, is not at all like the diesel fuel in the rest of the lower 48 states. I've logged every gallon of diesel fuel I've bought and run in VW's since 1981, and brand of fuel, while it might be different in other parts of the USA not being differentiated, here in CA with 40 million people and CA having a love affair with their cars, brands of diesel fuel are indeed different. My fuel up logs tell the story of what brands deliver more MPG's than others. And I've seen the same in the state of Texas, and NV and UT, ID, MT and WY. The diesel fuel I buy in UT, TX, and WY that stinks in your fuel tank has higher levels of aromatics in it, which is fine for driving diesel's in steady state motor rpm conditions. It smokes and soots badly under accerleration and start and stop traffic. If driven steady state, it delivers exceptional MPG's. Most of the diesel fuel they sell here in CA is the non foamy brand of diesel fuel, when close to being topped off, that delivers less MPG's per fillup.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yesterday I watched a fuel truck arrive at a Mobil station,it was a non labeled truck that may have made a delivery a mile down the road to seven eleven station. Who really knows what is in the truck? I should have asked the driver, I will the next time I see a delivery like this one. I use PS grey bottle to make myself feel good, so far 3 TDIs and no issues,who knows why,but I don't go below 1/4 of a tank to fill up.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A small update.....

NOTE: This is from my TDI Jetta 2L motor.... not the Touareg! (I haven't driven the Touareg enough to notice anything yet)

I'm about 1/2 through my first treated tank on my DD Jetta, and I'm seeing a slight MPG improvement. I'm alos noticing lower operating temps (I have a ScanGuage II and keep an eye on water tamps all the time). My daily commute to work is about 30km each way, and I've noticed that my water temp never reached the full 90deg C during my commute over the last couple of days. It has been consistently running about 10deg C cooler than normal.

At this point, I'm sold on this stuff.
I will follow up after burning a few tanks on both the Jetta and the Touareg in order to flush out any flaky results.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts