Registered
MY18 Touareg R-Line V8, White
12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,981 Posts
Hey Guys,

Has Anyone purchased one of these from Aliexpress? there aren't any pic of the hardware I can find. Probably another copy of the Joyeauto??

Regards

Russ
Hi Russ,

See Singh's comments on the previous page - post #149
From what I gather they are all unsatisfactory, but to your point, they seem to have some differences, assuming this is related to the different firmware.
One I tested was from AliExpress and compared to someone who bought it via eBay, exactly the same looking, branded unit but both would break your heart 😒
His experience left him very underwhelmed, like most of us who went down the eBay/Aliexpress route.

The only unit that appears to have any level of acceptable success is the Naviplus unit.

·
Learner
4,981 Posts
Hey Guys,

Has Anyone purchased one of these from Aliexpress? there aren't any pic of the hardware I can find. Probably another copy of the Joyeauto??

Regards

Russ
Not the same supplier I bought from.
But seems most of these units from AliExpress and eBay are from the same supplier with similar issues.
Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Steve,

I did check out the Naviplus unit but one look at there feedback on their own Facebook page turned me off instantly. Lots of un happy customers and all for only $1300...:)

Might have to just can the idea of Apple carplay until something better comes along.

Cheers

·
Learner
4,981 Posts
Hi Steve,

I did check out the Naviplus unit but one look at there feedback on their own Facebook page turned me off instantly. Lots of un happy customers and all for only $1300...:)

Might have to just can the idea of Apple carplay until something better comes along.

Cheers
Yep, it comes with some issues alright.
Need to co develop a unit with an engineer...or vw could so this like other manufacturers..

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Renault is providing retro-fitting of Carplay/Android Auto back to 2013 (?) vehicles in their range, with an install fee of about $500 (AUD).

But knowing VW...we will all be 6 feet under before the management agree to such an exercise.
With the current corporate culture at VW, I would be shocked, shocked I tell you to find a retro-fit was occurring at this establishment!

When I was reading about the emissions scandals, I read everything VW that I could find daily for a year. In my opinion, Winterkorn had a very toxic effect on VW. Anytime an option for VW could be offered, his opinion was No! Anytime an "advanced" Touareg feature was mentioned, he wanted it de-contented. All the good stuff was for Audi. No extras for VW.

·
Learner
4,981 Posts
With the current corporate culture at VW, I would be shocked, shocked I tell you to find a retro-fit was occurring at this establishment!

When I was reading about the emissions scandals, I read everything VW that I could find daily for a year. In my opinion, Winterkorn had a very toxic effect on VW. Anytime an option for VW could be offered, his opinion was No! Anytime an "advanced" Touareg feature was mentioned, he wanted it de-contented. All the good stuff was for Audi. No extras for VW.

Time to switch to an Audi or Porsche perhaps.
Haven't driven the latest in Cayenne but the Touareg is impressive for the money

·
Registered
40 Posts
What about NAVTOOL?
Did anyone in the US use it?
$550, good price and US Made
Here is TReg option:

·
Learner
4,981 Posts
What about NAVTOOL?
Here is TReg option:
Looks interesting, can't tell wheres it made and what kind of ui it offers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Because it's the kind of guy I am, I'm going to claim credit for the first hyper-critical post about the JoyeAuto unit "way" back in January. 😁 (Page 4)

That said, I think it was a worthwhile investment. It's not perfect; There are a lot of things that don't work as expected and many that work, but not in a factory-integrated manner. My biggest issue day-to-day, is that I occasionally (1 out of 10 times) have to manually switch my iPhone from CarPlay / Aux to Bluetooth for phone call audio. (I choose to use the factory Bluetooth for calls since the microphone audio quality on the JoyeAuto unit is terrible ... I use the CarPlay / Aux interface for music, else I'd have the reverse problem, just much more frequently.)

Runners-up for disappointment and incovenience are the lack of steering wheel track control, the bizarre choice to hijack the steering wheel menu button (in addition to the Nav button) for switching between the interface and the factory system, and the poor touch-sensitivity of the RNS-850 screen, which isn't really the interface's fault. CarPlay was just designed for touchscreens that better-recognize drag and swipe gestures. Other things I notice frequently are being stuck at full brightness and on "day" / light background settings for Apple maps, and a miserable scrolling experience in my large-ish music library. I bought mine directly from JoyeAuto, so keep in mind that the very-near-identical eBay versions could have slight differences, both in hardware and software. Additionally, I'm an iPhone user and the Android experience is likely different.

Other thoughts:
  • Wireless CarPlay is extremely reliable and works great, but only when I get in the car and drive off. I sometimes have to reboot the JoyeAuto from its phone menu if I connect, walk away from the car, and come back.
  • It can be set to default to the CarPlay interface whereas similar interfaces for other cars make you select CarPlay every. single. time. you. get. in. the. car. (I forget, but it may default to CarPlay out of the box.)
  • I complained in January about a lock-up very early after my installation. It's done it maybe two more times in the 400 or so drives since.
  • Other realistic options are other factory interfaces that have similar pitfalls or to spend $800 - $1500 on an Alpine Halo unit and replace everything, including the amp, speaker wiring, and speakers, all while loosing the MMI and its settings menu entirely. (You can buy a dipstick and do everything else through a VAG-aware scantool)
  • I'm pretty happy with this and will likely use it for the remainder of my Touareg's 3-ish year ownership. I don't regret it and even recommend it, provided you're comfortable with the install.

·
Learner
4,981 Posts
Using the factory BT for calls is much better option, that should be a permanent option.
After reviewing all options I am content with my phone in a cradle next to the screen, does it all without any issues, have all the apps there inc maps music and stream nicely via bt.

Reactions: jimreg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Because it's the kind of guy I am, I'm going to claim credit for the first hyper-critical post about the JoyeAuto unit "way" back in January. 😁 (Page 4)

That said, I think it was a worthwhile investment. It's not perfect; There are a lot of things that don't work as expected and many that work, but not in a factory-integrated manner. My biggest issue day-to-day, is that I occasionally (1 out of 10 times) have to manually switch my iPhone from CarPlay / Aux to Bluetooth for phone call audio. (I choose to use the factory Bluetooth for calls since the microphone audio quality on the JoyeAuto unit is terrible ... I use the CarPlay / Aux interface for music, else I'd have the reverse problem, just much more frequently.)

Runners-up for disappointment and incovenience are the lack of steering wheel track control, the bizarre choice to hijack the steering wheel menu button (in addition to the Nav button) for switching between the interface and the factory system, and the poor touch-sensitivity of the RNS-850 screen, which isn't really the interface's fault. CarPlay was just designed for touchscreens that better-recognize drag and swipe gestures. Other things I notice frequently are being stuck at full brightness and on "day" / light background settings for Apple maps, and a miserable scrolling experience in my large-ish music library. I bought mine directly from JoyeAuto, so keep in mind that the very-near-identical eBay versions could have slight differences, both in hardware and software. Additionally, I'm an iPhone user and the Android experience is likely different.

Other thoughts:
  • Wireless CarPlay is extremely reliable and works great, but only when I get in the car and drive off. I sometimes have to reboot the JoyeAuto from its phone menu if I connect, walk away from the car, and come back.
  • It can be set to default to the CarPlay interface whereas similar interfaces for other cars make you select CarPlay every. single. time. you. get. in. the. car. (I forget, but it may default to CarPlay out of the box.)
  • I complained in January about a lock-up very early after my installation. It's done it maybe two more times in the 400 or so drives since.
  • Other realistic options are other factory interfaces that have similar pitfalls or to spend $800 - $1500 on an Alpine Halo unit and replace everything, including the amp, speaker wiring, and speakers, all while loosing the MMI and its settings menu entirely. (You can buy a dipstick and do everything else through a VAG-aware scantool)
  • I'm pretty happy with this and will likely use it for the remainder of my Touareg's 3-ish year ownership. I don't regret it and even recommend it, provided you're comfortable with the install.
I would say your experience mirrors mine after I installed it last August. Not a perfect solution, but close enough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What about NAVTOOL?
Here is TReg option:

On special ATM. I didn't install my joying unit either. Did anyone try this navtool?

·
Learner
4,981 Posts

On special ATM. I didn't install my joying unit either. Did anyone try this navtool?
Looks interesting, and all American as well!
I like it already, easy installation and good markdown in June

Reactions: jimreg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Guys,

Have been following this thread for some time now and have taken all the pros and cons into account. Looks like its down to the JoyeAuto unit or the Naviplus.

I located a supplier her in Melbourne and they are selling the Joyeauto for $680 AUD. They are an distributor here in Melbourne. Happy to pay a little more than importing myself as if there is an issues, I have a store front to return the goods ( 12 month warranty)

The NaviPlus units is quite a bit more expensive at $850 for the unit, $100 for Steering Controls and another $100 for the Wireless Car Play option. It makes it $1050 for the complete package. As far as I can tell the Naviplus is the only unit on the market to support steering wheel controls.

Joyeauto Cons; No steering wheel controls when in car play mode ( except volume ). Several reports of poor Call quality when using car play module. Some reports that the Screen is full brightness at night ( seller assures me this function does work?). Lots of cheap Copies on the Market
Joyeauto Pros: Cheapest, Built in Wireless car play at no extra cost.

Naviplus Pros - Only complete solution to fully integrate with RSN850 in treg.

Naviplus Cons: Price. Some sketchy reviews on the internet about the company and ethics. ( I am local to the Naviplus supplier so I do have the option of face to face if required)

I have not been able to get a clear picture of how well the Naviplus actually works as I guess most people Bork at the cost and end up with the cheaper options like Joyeauto. I want to know of any experiences that other Forum members have had with the Naviplus unit? I really need the Apple Car play to work for business purpose as currently when my phone is connected to Bluetooth, Calendar / TXT Messages and reminders are silent which means I miss important conference call reminders when on the road. I really want to have no phone cradle and be able to do everything from Wireless Car play

Will probably go the Naviplus unit if I can get some positive feedback on its integration. I will happily install it myself. Don't mind spending a bit more if it works as described.

Any Feedback on Naviplus please?

Kind Regards

I have

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had an all together positive experience with my Naviplus.
I've had mine in the car for over 4 months and of that whole time, I've only ever had the unit play up (i.e. lose connection) twice, where I had to power cycle the car. Always came good after the power cycle.
I think part of the issues people are experiencing are because of Carplay design. I use it for Android Auto with my Samsung, and by design, Android Auto routes audio through the wired connection (USB to Naviplus) while the Bluetooth handles the calls, which goes to the standard RNS850.
The only functionality I haven't got is the 'OK Google' voice commands. Haven't connected the supplied microphone, as I didn't want the hassle to try and mount it somewhere. Still looking into tapping into the existing microphones, but I don't want to cut up the existing mic wires, so was looking to source the crimps that VW use in their wiring to create a patch splitter cable.
The only button that switches the display to the Naviplus screen is the NAV button, all other steering wheel buttons work as standard. I purchased the SWC module, so left and right track buttons work as well.
Only issue that I do have with the unit is using it with start stop functionality, as I mentioned previously. If left on, the start stop momentarily cuts the power to the Naviplus and the music cuts out for a second or so. The screen stays powered on, but for whatever reason the audio cuts out. It doesn't affect phone calls as they are using Bluetooth via the RNS850. I've just learnt to live with it and turn off start stop when I get in the car.

It's not a cheap unit, but I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have had the Naviplus from Australia for a while, I had a pro autoshop do the install.. I couldn't be happier. I haven't tried with an iPhone, as I am an Android user. It works great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,

Have been following this thread for some time now and have taken all the pros and cons into account. Looks like its down to the JoyeAuto unit or the Naviplus.

I located a supplier her in Melbourne and they are selling the Joyeauto for $680 AUD. They are an distributor here in Melbourne. Happy to pay a little more than importing myself as if there is an issues, I have a store front to return the goods ( 12 month warranty)

The NaviPlus units is quite a bit more expensive at $850 for the unit, $100 for Steering Controls and another $100 for the Wireless Car Play option. It makes it $1050 for the complete package. As far as I can tell the Naviplus is the only unit on the market to support steering wheel controls.

Joyeauto Cons; No steering wheel controls when in car play mode ( except volume ). Several reports of poor Call quality when using car play module. Some reports that the Screen is full brightness at night ( seller assures me this function does work?). Lots of cheap Copies on the Market
Joyeauto Pros: Cheapest, Built in Wireless car play at no extra cost.

Naviplus Pros - Only complete solution to fully integrate with RSN850 in treg.

Naviplus Cons: Price. Some sketchy reviews on the internet about the company and ethics. ( I am local to the Naviplus supplier so I do have the option of face to face if required)

I have not been able to get a clear picture of how well the Naviplus actually works as I guess most people Bork at the cost and end up with the cheaper options like Joyeauto. I want to know of any experiences that other Forum members have had with the Naviplus unit? I really need the Apple Car play to work for business purpose as currently when my phone is connected to Bluetooth, Calendar / TXT Messages and reminders are silent which means I miss important conference call reminders when on the road. I really want to have no phone cradle and be able to do everything from Wireless Car play

Will probably go the Naviplus unit if I can get some positive feedback on its integration. I will happily install it myself. Don't mind spending a bit more if it works as described.

Any Feedback on Naviplus please?

Kind Regards

I have
Hi RotelMan69, can you post the name of the Melbourne distributor please? Which vendor have you gone with?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi RobCli,

I ended up purchasing the JoyeAuto unit from Xtreme Car Deco in Box hill. The guy there was really helpful. He is selling the units on ebay for $750 but if you go and see them and buy direct they will do it for $680. They take Credit card and provide full Tax invoice with 12 month warranty. Sam is the Guys Name: [email protected]. I think they must have moved recently as the Web page address has not been updated to the Box hill one. They are at 500 Station st Box hill.

I started to install the unit on Tuesday and had some issues. As we all know the instructions are poor and even the official Joyeauto you tube video lacks some detail. Believe me I have read though thise posts many times
After rough installing system to check to make sure it works I had a couple of issues.

Unit would power on and Green LED inside Joyeauto box would come on and then turn off again. I sent message to Sam at Xtreme and he came back with I had to connect the ACC red wire also for it to work. Instructions only say only to connect 12V yellow. This fixed the problem with the unit and I was able to get the Wifi Signal and the Bluetooth to connect to my iPhone.

Second issue I have is I get no display at all coming up on the head unit. I get sound but cannot control the volume and of course no display, not even original GUI. If I remove the Joyeauto module the Display is back ok.

Sam at Extreme has been super helpful with the troubleshooting via TXT message and he also even rang me to help. He said if I have no diplay and have the Cables to the Display(in/out) correctly then the CanBus connection is not good. I used the wire taps he supplied me which I think may not be very good. I went out today an purchased UNIXON JOWX-T2 wire taps from Jaycar.( can't find Posi-tap in Aus) I will swap these over tomorrow morning and try again. I did tap the can bus under the carpet but noticed there were 2 sets of cable with the same colors. From what I read on the forum, you can use either set? Sam told me you can use either Set.

I also have tapped the 12v& GND and the pin 10 connection from the plug on the back of the MMI connector at DVD drive.

Would be interested if anyone else has had issues with the display not working. Would be keen to know if the Can Connection is unplugged that the whole display goes out.

I will post an update tomorrow hopefully when I get time to try the new Can Bus taps.

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok,

So made some progress on getting this thing to work. The issue with the display not working was because I was connecting the 2 video cables to the Head unit ( Display) instead of the MMI unit( DVD drive). The instructions say to connect to head unit but they really mean the DVD drive MMI end.( was a YouTube video from some guy who gave me the tip) So we now got the the display to come up and I see the Apple Carplay for the first time on the screen. Proir to this I tried tapping the other can bus but that didn't make a difference. Found the Carplay would only stay on for 3-4 second then it would turn off. I disconnected the Blue MMI cable as an experiment and found the screen would stay on and work perfect. I also found that with the blue MMI cable disconnected, the Menu button on the steering wheel would switch between factory and Carplay system.( known issue). I rang Sam and explained the issue and i sent him pictures of the MMI plug I connected to. He said my wiring was correct and he told me to bring the car around and he would have a quick look at not charge! Very happy to have purchased locally...

So I drop everything and drive over with all the guts of the the glove-box and head unit hanging out. He double checks the wiring and I demonstrate to him the screen dropping out when I connect the MMI blue wire. He immediately makes a phone call to the guys at Joyeauto Factory (in China I assume) and he comes back asking what year my car is. Mine is a MY18 R-Line V8 with the Dynaudio. Joyeauto guys on the phone tell him that from 2016 on there is a small change and that he will provide me a modified unit to suit in a couple of days. Apparently there is a chip change that need to be made in the box

So currently just waiting for the replacement Joyeauto box and a phone call to say come and swap it over. I can still use it as is anyway. The only things that don't work are the NAV button to toggle Carplay/Factory and the Big dial doesn't work with Carplay menu. ( wouldn't be a deal breaker anyway )

Impressions so far.

If you use the built in Joyeauto for making phone calls, the other caller complains of echoing of their own voice. I need to ask Sam about this. I had disconnected the factory Bluetooth for this test. The sound I hear through AUX was better then the Factory because it was not focused on the center speaker like the factory unit. I had also run the included Mic for the Joyeauto to pop out just next to the overhead console.
Had some issues with the screen staying on for extended periods after turning off the car. I have the Red ACC cable connected to the Fuse box where I found a 12v ACC trigger voltage. Constant 12V is on the MMI connector. Will monitor this, but Sam said if this keeps happening, then connect the Yellow constant 12v to the ACC also... will monitor

Had as couple of issue where carplay says to unlock phone to access Carplay. I do this and it still wont connect. I have to go to the Joyeauto Menu and select reboot and then it works fine after that. I was playing around with removing the ACC power at the same time so I will have to hope this isn't a regular occurrence.

The system is definitely not perfect as many of you guys here have laid testament to, but for a factory audio system that is so deeply embedded, this is probably as good as it's ever going to get. Using the Factory Bluetooth for Call and the AUX Audio input of the Joyeauto is a pretty good compromise in my book. As long as I get the system to connect reliably and the screen to turn off and not flatten my battery, then I am happy :)

161 - 180 of 188 Posts