4,847 Posts

·
Learner
4,847 Posts
btw, i intend to use original mic

·
Registered
18 Posts
For those who are ordering, or contemplating ordering thru auto-accessories2011, I have quoted details from their latest email to me (last night) regarding my order.

So, in short, they are not permitted to leave their home, nor re-open the factory at this time.
Kelly believes it may be ok by 24/2 or even March.
For my own order, it's a pity I have this money tied up thru them, but, it is not their fault, and I firmly believe the unit will be despatched to Oz as soon as they can return to work.

Anyone considering ordering, might be best to hold on until we hear that all is clear.

As you can see....Kelly will honour special pricing for ClubTouareg members ;)
It looks like mine shipped out a few days ago and just got through customs here. Forgot to ask… Do you know if there will be an issue on the executive with the 360° camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Learner
4,847 Posts
I don't think so

·
Registered
22 Posts
No issues when you shift to reverse but the screen goes back to CarPlay once you shift out of reverse. The camera button does not switch the image either. It would be great if it could be activated by the switch or if the image would stay on camera as the factory system til you hit a certain speed fwd but it does not. Bummer.

·
Learner
4,847 Posts
No issues when you shift to reverse but the screen goes back to CarPlay once you shift out of reverse. The camera button does not switch the image either. It would be great if it could be activated by the switch or if the image would stay on camera as the factory system til you hit a certain speed fwd but it does not. Bummer.
Interesting, do you have the wireless or wired unit?
Also, how are the switches on the back of the unit configured?

·
Learner
4,847 Posts
I have the wireless ons from Ebay, don't remember the switch settings though
I would check that first, especially 8th switch, to ensure it reflects the setup for your car

·
Registered
689 Posts
How does the wireless work? I need bluetooth audio to work from the JoyAuto to my Touareg with Dynaudio to get the digital signal. I'm not sure that the USB cable will deliver true digital sound through the aux input.

Also do your track forward and backward buttons work?

·
Learner
4,847 Posts
How does the wireless work? I need bluetooth audio to work from the JoyAuto to my Touareg with Dynaudio to get the digital signal. I'm not sure that the USB cable will deliver true digital sound through the aux input.

wireless...via wifi from the phone to Joyeauto box and it in turn feeds the signal into MMI unit in the glove box via the 48pin connector.

·
Registered
78 Posts

the track buttons work on the bluetooth input but not AUX on mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the Naviauto unit over the weekend. Relatively straightforward installation, hardest part was making sure I don't break any clips in the plastics.

Couple of things I wanted to note:
  • I use the start stop function of the car, and power gets cut to the unit when the car is starting back up. Music stops for a few seconds. More annoying than anything else. Doesn't do it on the standard RNS850, just Naviplus/Android Auto.
  • Opted for the SWC add-on which let's you change tracks via the steering wheel, otherwise won't work
  • Has anyone tried to wire in the OEM microphone? Looking at the 48 plug pinout there are two microphone inputs, don't see why you couldn't tap into those and provide a 3.5mm jack input into the Android Auto box.

Installed photo:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Might just need a capacitor accross the power leads to prevent it from turning off during start. Could also use a 12v battery on a time delay relay to turn it off.

·
Learner
4,847 Posts
Might just need a capacitor accross the power leads to prevent it from turning off during start. Could also use a 12v battery on a time delay relay to turn it off.
How do you work out what spec capacitor can be connected in parallel? Volts and watts?

·
Learner
4,847 Posts
I installed the Naviauto unit over the weekend. Relatively straightforward installation, hardest part was making sure I don't break any clips in the plastics.

Couple of things I wanted to note:
  • I use the start stop function of the car, and power gets cut to the unit when the car is starting back up. Music stops for a few seconds. More annoying than anything else. Doesn't do it on the standard RNS850, just Naviplus/Android Auto.
  • Opted for the SWC add-on which let's you change tracks via the steering wheel, otherwise won't work
  • Has anyone tried to wire in the OEM microphone? Looking at the 48 plug pinout there are two microphone inputs, don't see why you couldn't tap into those and provide a 3.5mm jack input into the Android Auto box.
View attachment 235651
Installed photo:
View attachment 235650
Nice.
Can't you use the existing microphones as is?

·
Registered
689 Posts
How do you work out what spec capacitor can be connected in parallel? Volts and watts?
Hmmm good question. I would measure the voltage during start and see what the voltage drop is during cranking. Also once that is done place a current measuring multimeter in series and see how much current (amps) it is drawing. Most digital multimeters have a current measuring mode. Typically they are good up to 10 amps. Then the last thing is to use a stop watch to figure out how long the voltage drops. It may be helpful to see at what voltage the unit powers off assuming a slow voltage drop. From those numbers we can determine the equivalent load of the unit and estimate a capacitor size.

If you get that information we can estimate the size and check to see how long the capacitor will keep the voltage above your cutoff voltage and re-size from there.

From there you can use a calculator like this: Capacitor Energy and Time Constant Calculator

Interestingly here is a thread that talks about this topic.

And an image of a battery charge circuit.

I'm surpised there isn't an off the shelf solution for this in a plug in module. You wouldn't need a big battery to accomplish the task.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice.
Can't you use the existing microphones as is?
Doesn't look like it.
The Android Auto box needs a TS Type male connector (3.5mm audio connector), whereas the existing microphone(s?) are terminated into the back of the MMI unit.
Pin 18-19 for Mic 2 and pin 24-25 for Mic 1.
I didn't get a chance to do it before I put the car back together, but I don't see why it wouldn't work if you were to tap into one of the sets of wires and plug it into the Naviplus box.
At the moment I don't have a microphone connected to the Naviplus box, the only functionality you lose is voice command. My phone is connected via bluetooth to the RNS850 and that's what handles the calls.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts