Club Touareg Forum banner

61 - 80 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
so am i understanding right this basically is you hot spot the box and it runs android?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also bought the one off eBay and just installed it this week. It all works as advertised. Love the wireless Carplay to my phone, no wires needed. Some things I noticed:
  • The instructions show the blue/white MMI wire to be connected to the grey-white/green 10 pin on the harness that connects to the facroty DVD, they have it wrong, it actually is the ORANGE/BLUE wire as shown on the OP pic of the instructions, took me over an hour to figure out
  • The CAN hi and low connections can be made to either of the CAN wires under the passenger seat
  • The steering wheel PREV/NEXT song on Carplay only works through the BT input, not the AUX
  • Sometimes you have to press the NAV button more than once when switching between MMI and the module
  • You can display the song name on the center cluster display only with BT input, not the AUX
  • My display takes about 30 seconds to turn off even after the ignition is turned off and the door open. The music stops playing but the display still stays lit up. I think it has to do with the WiFi connection on the phone. It also turns on as soon as it detects the WiFi on the phone.
  • When you pair the phone, the BT pairing is only used to connect the WiFi, after that I think it is not used anymore and WiFi is the method that the phone and the module interact, that is why you can still use and have BT active with the car BT system
  • I still need to figure out exactly what the additional mic that comes with the unit does. I have used it with BT connected and disconnected from the car, and I can make calls. But all the sound goes through the AUX, so if I have it in AUX I cannot answer or make a call. This leads me to believe that I do have to have the BT paired to the car's BT system. If that is the case (that is how I have it now), then the logical thing would be that the car's BT mic is the one being used So what is the other mic for.
I am really pleased with the unit, and worth every penny of the $360 price. Install was not difficult, but because of the incredibly ****ty instructions it took way longer than it should, I should be able to do the second install in less than an hour.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looking at JoyeAuto's AliExpress listing, I can see 2 different listings for Touareg:

US $409.18 18% OFF|Joyeauto Wifi Wireless Apple Carplay for Volkswagen Touareg 2010 2017 8inch Android Mirror Car play Support Front/Rear Camera-in TV Receiver for Car from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress (lower price)
and
US $445.49 25% OFF|Joyeauto Wifi Wireless Apple Carplay for 2010 2017 Volkswagen Toureg Golf with iOS13 Android Mirror Android Auto Apple Mirror-in Car Multimedia Player from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress (higher price)

Looking closely, the first listing did get more orders sold than the second, probably due to lower price? I'm not able to tell what's the difference between the 2 listing. But you can see that in the description page of the 1st listing, there is a cable layout showing the WiFi antenna which looks exactly like what DMCAFL received.

SO I wonder.....
@molardog, do you happen to remember through which link did you order? the 1st or the 2nd link above? Or directly from JoyeAuto website (not AliExpress)? And how's your antenna look like?
@molardog or @DMCAFL did you have to specify the headunit mode in your order? i.e. RCD550 (6.5inch) vs. RNS850 (8 inch)? not sure if it matters at all but just wanted to see if it explains the discrepancy in the pricing and/or the difference in the items you received.
I ordered from joyeauto website since it was a little cheaper than aliexpress. My antenna was different than the nub one.....mine is corded and can be relocated as you wish.

·
Registered
464 Posts
How do you hook up cameras? i want to add the replica front cam and rear to my 2012 and it says it can i just dont see where they plug in

·
Registered
26 Posts
Look at the OP pic of the manual and boxed wires. There are two yellow RCA inputs for cameras. Then select the last pin switch on the module for aftermarket camera instead of built in. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed the Joyeauto unit on my 2011 today. I've also used two similar RSNAV-branded Audi CarPlay interfaces, so I feel like I have a keen insight into all the ways these units can disappoint. For those on the fence:
  • "Real" CarPlay implementations share the car's headlight status with your iPhone, which in turn adjusts maps and other interface elements to account for day and night on-screen. This one does not, so you'll be looking at a bright white maps background at 1:00 AM.
  • This unit (by design, I suspect) breaks your car's built-in brightness control, making the above issue even more problematic.
  • You'll be stuck scrolling through long lists of Artists, Albums, or tracks by repeatedly and slowly dragging across the minimally-responsive RNS-850 touchscreen. That wouldn't actually be terrible, except this unit fails to trigger a standard CarPlay feature that shows a scrollbar with a keyboard icon on the right side of such lists. If it worked correctly, you could tap on the keyboard icon, hit the first letter of your selection, and then scroll through a much smaller list of items beginning only with that letter. My best guess is that CarPlay only shows the scrollbar for touchscreens (some cars use a scroll wheel instead of a touchscreen) and that this unit isn't properly declaring itself as touchscreen-based when it handshakes with the phone.
  • The steering wheel menu button doubles as an RNS / CarPlay toggle button so you'll be going in and out of CarPlay every time you want to switch between tire pressure and trip data on the cluster. Same thing for changing inputs from the cluster audio menu. Wow, it's annoying!
  • Be prepared for unexplained lock-ups, usually when you have someone you'd like to impress in the passenger seat. I experienced my first lock-up within three hours of installing and it took leaving the ignition off for a full minute to reset it.
  • No steering wheel track controls
  • No steering wheel Siri activation
  • There's something inconsistent or unpredictable about the toggle in and out of CarPlay. Sometimes, I can press the Nav button and it toggles immediately. Others, I have to hold it for a moment.
Other observations:
  • I was able to tap the CAN bus on the climate control harness without trouble. You'll be connecting orange/green to orange/violet if you do this, but it's a hell of a lot easier than getting your hands under the carpet.
  • I got a 2" nub of an antenna, not the nicer corded antenna with an adhesive backing that some have received.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,935 Posts
I have been 'speaking' to a USA Touareg owner who has purchased one of these 'units' via an eBay seller. The unit I have been investigating from this eBay seller would appear to be presenting with very little or no loss of features. My USA friend assures me that call quality both in and outbound using the VW OEM mic is perfect. He assures me that all steering wheel buttons work whether in Carplay mode or VW RNS850 mode. He also assures me there is absolutley no lag thru the Carplay system.

What we need to realsie is that we are introducing an aftermarket module that has not been designed by the vehicle manufacturer, and as such, may not completely intergrate into the OEM system.

The 'light' issue is certainly something I'd be keen to hear about from other users. @Coight57 any feedback re the Waze/Googlemaps not displaying a 'night mode light ambience at all?

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,935 Posts
And I have just had it confirmed, that the Googlemap display etc will dim when the Toaureg lights come on. @rd7575 you may have to re-check your weiring installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been 'speaking' to a USA Touareg owner who has purchased one of these 'units' via an eBay seller. The unit I have been investigating from this eBay seller would appear to be presenting with very little or no loss of features. My USA friend assures me that call quality both in and outbound using the VW OEM mic is perfect. He assures me that all steering wheel buttons work whether in Carplay mode or VW RNS850 mode. ...
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there's some variation in capability from source to source, even if the hardware appears identical. How the low to mid-range of China's domestic electronics design and manufacturing works is fascinatingly messy. Cloning of designs is rampant with great inconsistency in updates and revisions.

I'll note that the two visually dissimilar Audi interfaces I've used did make use of the factory microphone. One makes use of the steering wheel track controls, but presents them to the phone as scroll events instead of track events. That is, attached iPhones scroll through menu items when the track controls are used. It essentially duplicates the MMI knob. The other operates much as my Joyeauto unit in my Touareg. Specifically, volume works, but only because the signal is reaching the RNS unit even when it's not in control of the screen, not because of anything the CarPlay interface itself is doing.

And I have just had it confirmed, that the Googlemap display etc will dim when the Toaureg lights come on. @rd7575 you may have to re-check your weiring installation.
Interesting. I wonder whether the available messages differ by bus segment. I did peek under the passenger carpet and noticed that there are no less than five individual pairs of CAN wiring in that tray.

For other posters who have tapped the bus under the carpet, can you confirm which pair you used? I believe I saw a pair with orange / green to match the included harness but I'm not sure. I gave up on that route pretty quickly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are comments on other threads that the naviplus is harder to install than the joyeing. Have just ordered so will post how I go. Contact via WhatsApp was good to request the latest version with quality WiFi aerial. They asked for a photo of the head unit to confirm correct model ordered..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are comments on other threads that the naviplus is harder to install than the joyeing. Have just ordered so will post how I go. Contact via WhatsApp was good to request the latest version with quality WiFi aerial. They asked for a photo of the head unit to confirm correct model ordered..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Do you have a link of where you bought this from? Curious to see what the instructions look like. I’ll have to take it to a stereo installer since I’m clueless with this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bugger just noticed previous posts about the one sold on eBay too which is cheaper and seems to work well.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,935 Posts
Bugger just noticed previous posts about the one sold on eBay too which is cheaper and seems to work well.
I've ordered an ebay one.
The seller appears (thru all of my research) to provide first class units, with a very good rate of successful instals etc.
I'll be providing an update once the unit arrives and is installed. Can't wait.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there any comparison against the NaviPlus unit?
What I’ve been told directly from NaviPlus when asking why their unit is superior and commands double the price the response was that Naviplus Steering Wheel Controls are able to skip tracks where others can’t.

I've ordered an ebay one.
The seller appears (thru all of my research) to provide first class units, with a very good rate of successful instals etc.
I'll be providing an update once the unit arrives and is installed. Can't wait.

Can you guys please provide links to the eBay seller with the great feedback. There are quite a few.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,935 Posts
What I’ve been told directly from NaviPlus when asking why their unit is superior and commands double the price the response was that Naviplus Steering Wheel Controls are able to skip tracks where others can’t.

Can you guys please provide links to the eBay seller with the great feedback. There are quite a few.

Thanks.

Here is the link to my supplier: Wireless Apple Carplay Android Auto GPS for Volkswagen Touareg 2010-2017 8 inch | eBay

I am yet to receive or install the unit. However, all my research indicates this is an A+ unit. And yes, track skipping etc works from the steering wheel. A particular user I spoke to told me "No OEM functions are affected by this unit, everything works as per factory and you have the additional "Carplay" features now included.Track fwd/back works whole in carplay mode".

Winner winner ;) (and it's WIRELESS)

If you do contact that ebay seller, try and mention that Steve from Clubtouareg.com told you about this....you may get a better price (I did tell them if they look after me...then I will spread the word amongst this community - she was well pleased)

61 - 80 of 172 Posts