Club Touareg Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
so am i understanding right this basically is you hot spot the box and it runs android?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also bought the one off eBay and just installed it this week. It all works as advertised. Love the wireless Carplay to my phone, no wires needed. Some things I noticed:
  • The instructions show the blue/white MMI wire to be connected to the grey-white/green 10 pin on the harness that connects to the facroty DVD, they have it wrong, it actually is the ORANGE/BLUE wire as shown on the OP pic of the instructions, took me over an hour to figure out
  • The CAN hi and low connections can be made to either of the CAN wires under the passenger seat
  • The steering wheel PREV/NEXT song on Carplay only works through the BT input, not the AUX
  • Sometimes you have to press the NAV button more than once when switching between MMI and the module
  • You can display the song name on the center cluster display only with BT input, not the AUX
  • My display takes about 30 seconds to turn off even after the ignition is turned off and the door open. The music stops playing but the display still stays lit up. I think it has to do with the WiFi connection on the phone. It also turns on as soon as it detects the WiFi on the phone.
  • When you pair the phone, the BT pairing is only used to connect the WiFi, after that I think it is not used anymore and WiFi is the method that the phone and the module interact, that is why you can still use and have BT active with the car BT system
  • I still need to figure out exactly what the additional mic that comes with the unit does. I have used it with BT connected and disconnected from the car, and I can make calls. But all the sound goes through the AUX, so if I have it in AUX I cannot answer or make a call. This leads me to believe that I do have to have the BT paired to the car's BT system. If that is the case (that is how I have it now), then the logical thing would be that the car's BT mic is the one being used So what is the other mic for.
I am really pleased with the unit, and worth every penny of the $360 price. Install was not difficult, but because of the incredibly ****ty instructions it took way longer than it should, I should be able to do the second install in less than an hour.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looking at JoyeAuto's AliExpress listing, I can see 2 different listings for Touareg:

US $409.18 18% OFF|Joyeauto Wifi Wireless Apple Carplay for Volkswagen Touareg 2010 2017 8inch Android Mirror Car play Support Front/Rear Camera-in TV Receiver for Car from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress (lower price)
and
US $445.49 25% OFF|Joyeauto Wifi Wireless Apple Carplay for 2010 2017 Volkswagen Toureg Golf with iOS13 Android Mirror Android Auto Apple Mirror-in Car Multimedia Player from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress (higher price)

Looking closely, the first listing did get more orders sold than the second, probably due to lower price? I'm not able to tell what's the difference between the 2 listing. But you can see that in the description page of the 1st listing, there is a cable layout showing the WiFi antenna which looks exactly like what DMCAFL received.

SO I wonder.....
@molardog, do you happen to remember through which link did you order? the 1st or the 2nd link above? Or directly from JoyeAuto website (not AliExpress)? And how's your antenna look like?
@molardog or @DMCAFL did you have to specify the headunit mode in your order? i.e. RCD550 (6.5inch) vs. RNS850 (8 inch)? not sure if it matters at all but just wanted to see if it explains the discrepancy in the pricing and/or the difference in the items you received.
I ordered from joyeauto website since it was a little cheaper than aliexpress. My antenna was different than the nub one.....mine is corded and can be relocated as you wish.

·
Registered
402 Posts
How do you hook up cameras? i want to add the replica front cam and rear to my 2012 and it says it can i just dont see where they plug in

·
Registered
18 Posts
Look at the OP pic of the manual and boxed wires. There are two yellow RCA inputs for cameras. Then select the last pin switch on the module for aftermarket camera instead of built in. Pretty simple.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts