Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hoping to finish buttoning up my car this week.....Found out my 2015 Sport does not have AUX input so I have to use vehicle bluetooth for sound. Because of that the included microphone serves no purpose and wont be installed. Right now just doing some cable and wire management before putting all the trim pieces back in, but this unit otherwise works as advertised.
Instant wireless connection as soon as you turn on the power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hoping to finish buttoning up my car this week.....Found out my 2015 Sport does not have AUX input so I have to use vehicle bluetooth for sound. Because of that the included microphone serves no purpose and wont be installed. Right now just doing some cable and wire management before putting all the trim pieces back in, but this unit otherwise works as advertised.
Instant wireless connection as soon as you turn on the power.
I'm shocked that it doesn't have AUX! Thought that the Joyeauto kit came with an adapter to add it regardless? If nothing else, could you plug the audio out of the Carplay box into something like the adapter below and then pair that adapter to the factory BT system?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very cool. Glad it works. I love the CarPlay in wife's Atlas, but I'm going to keep this mod on the backburner until I do a tune and other things I'd like to do first. I guess you lose factory Nav? If someone finds a $200 solution I'm in!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm shocked that it doesn't have AUX! Thought that the Joyeauto kit came with an adapter to add it regardless? If nothing else, could you plug the audio out of the Carplay box into something like the adapter below and then pair that adapter to the factory BT system?

Yeah i was pretty surprised to discover no AUX port. I just assumed it would be there even though it is a 2015 Sport. There is a MULTIMEDIA-IN port in the center console though. Maybe there is a workaround for that.

For now I guess I will just be content with having the wireless video feed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Very cool. Glad it works. I love the CarPlay in wife's Atlas, but I'm going to keep this mod on the backburner until I do a tune and other things I'd like to do first. I guess you lose factory Nav? If someone finds a $200 solution I'm in!
Its pretty cool. Even when the car isnt on, as long as wifi is enabled on the phone it wakes the Carplay on the display.

Btw factory nav is still there. You use the NAV button on the display to toggle between them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Fwiw I have most everything put back together. Once I have fully buttoned it all up i will take some pics of the screen.

Would be completely done with it had I not struggled and wrestled with putting the glovebox back only to discover that i had forgotten to connect the fiver optic cable. So i got to do that twice. Such is life as a shade tree wrencher.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks good! @molardog Is there any lag or freezing or anything strange? I know you just finished installing so it's probably too early to tell. Any idea if it is compatible with an Exec Touareg that has the Dynaudio system? I am wondering if there is any difference between this, and a factory installed CarPlay system. Any gotchas...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks good! @molardog Is there any lag or freezing or anything strange? I know you just finished installing so it's probably too early to tell. Any idea if it is compatible with an Exec Touareg that has the Dynaudio system? I am wondering if there is any difference between this, and a factory installed CarPlay system. Any gotchas...
No lag at all. Touch screen works great. There are some nuances to it....Ive discovered you can only toggle the NAV back to OEM from the home default carplay screen. Also, the steering wheel menu button toggles it back and forth from carplay to oem nav. Drove it qute a bit today and find myself leaving it carplay mode and using the instrument cluster with steeringn wheel controls for switching between the radio tuner and bluetooth source, also switching radio station presets. Before installing this carplay module, I never ever use the instrument cluster display. It is pretty cool how it all works.

Was initially aggravated at the lack of AUX input in my car which the system is designed to send carplay audio through. Bluetooth works fine, although a little annoying if i close my apple music app on the phone, come back to the car and it defaults to carplay audio instead of bluetooth requiring me to manually switch to BT when returning to the car. If I leave apple music open it seems to remember though.

Overall it is really great to get the phone completely out of my hands while driving and I feel was totally worth the money and install time I spent.

I cant think of a reason why it wouldn’t be compatible with your Treg Exec. Im sure JoyeAuto can verify though. Let me know if you want their Whatsapp support # to reach them quickly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thinking more about this sound thing....

To my eye all of the AUX -in wiring is present at the back of the head unit and I have it plugged into the AUX adapter of the carplay module....

Is getting this thing active just a matter of entering the green menu and activating AUX-in? Or do I risk bricking the car?

·
Registered
93 Posts
You have an MDI connector in the arm rest compartment, right? To get aux in you just need and mdi to 3.5mm adapter like this. https://amzn.to/31IOYDB
Yes I do have that cable and connector in the armrest....The carplay module comes with AUX adapter and it is tied into the 40 pin harness on the back of the head unit in the glove box. Maybe I just need to run a male/female extension up to the center console from the carplay module and plug it into the MDI adapter?

·
Registered
93 Posts
So here is a crazy finding:

Just for the heck of it I decided to plug in that 3.5 mm MDI adapter into the armrest and just like that....the AUX soft key becomes active and I can now get sound via Carplay and not just VW bluetooth. CRAZY!

Just need to decide If I want to connect the microphone and hide it somewhere or just continue with the OEM mic and bluetooth connection.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah i was pretty surprised to discover no AUX port. I just assumed it would be there even though it is a 2015 Sport. There is a MULTIMEDIA-IN port in the center console though. Maybe there is a workaround for that.

For now I guess I will just be content with having the wireless video feed.
So might have your answer - just installed today in my 2014 Exec. Aux didn’t show up as an option initially when I installed (so thought I’d be where you are) but turns out that I had to plug my “multimedia in-to-aux” cable into my center armrest. After that it showed up as an option. No need to plug anything into that cable in the center armrest, think the car just needs to know it’s present to enable Aux. FYI this is the type of cable (came with my car)

CHELINK Music Interface AMI MMI AUX 3.5mm Jack Aux-in MP3 Adapter Cable for Audi A3/A4/A5/A6/A8/Q5/Q7/R8/TT,vw Jetta GTI GLI Jetta Passat Cc Tiguan Touareg EOS Golf Mk 6, etc. (Audi 2 M) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076CFK94X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jzkwDbGM1Z1ZB

·
Registered
17 Posts
So here is a crazy finding:

Just for the heck of it I decided to plug in that 3.5 mm MDI adapter into the armrest and just like that....the AUX soft key becomes active and I can now get sound via Carplay and not just VW bluetooth. CRAZY!

Just need to decide If I want to connect the microphone and hide it somewhere or just continue with the OEM mic and bluetooth connection.
Ha didn’t see this, looks like you beat me to it :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ha didn’t see this, looks like you beat me to it :)
Thats pretty funny/clairvoyant.....youd think JoyeAuto would mention this tiny detail in their install. I did end up running the mic up into the top drivers corner of the windshield in the A pillar trim...

Does your phone ring thru the speakers if you are listening to the radio input? I havent tried it yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey where did you end up tapping the CANBUS? At the climate control?
Nope, went into the wiring channel under the carpet. Only thing that is a little annoying is that the steering wheel skip buttons don’t work, trying to figure out if there is some sort of way to create a new button mapping.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nope, went into the wiring channel under the carpet. Only thing that is a little annoying is that the steering wheel skip buttons don’t work, trying to figure out if there is some sort of way to create a new button mapping.
Yeah I noticed that too. But they work over BT instead of AUX.

21 - 40 of 203 Posts