Club Touareg Forum banner
321 - 340 of 347 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
<Insert your PM response to me here>
Apparently I haven’t posted enough to respond to your PM to me, even though I initiated the conversation in the first place, so here’s what I was attempting to say! 🤣

No worries, bud - I know how it goes with these things. Us DIY’ers tinker with so much it can be an ‘in one ear and out the other’ sort of thing with this sort of information! The good news is, I did eventually get it to power on last night, but from a different source; unfortunately, it now has a power light that turns on, but then turns off about 7-10 seconds later before I ever see a screen of any sorts.

I appreciate the response and attempt to help!

For any onlookers who may be able to help:

As stated above, I did finally get this unit to power on, but from a different source (someone earlier stated that they used the two wire harness (power and ground) behind the HVAC controls, which worked; unfortunately, it now has a power light that turns on, but then turns off about 7-10 seconds later before I ever see a screen of any sorts pop up. Beyond this, I was able to flip one of the dip switches to toggle booting to the screen calibration screen and that actually loads, so I know the cables for it are correct, too.

Any ideas what may be causing it to lose power/stop booting? Hoping someone has seen this since I seem to be REALLY close to finally getting this thing working…

· Registered
3 Posts
We install the IDCORE kits in Touaregs each week (similar to Joyeauto). You don't need to tap into the CAN under the carpet on the driver side. Behind the glove box is the AC CAN port - you can tap into that which makes this install pretty straightforward as the Carplay box itself gets installed between the glove box and the RNS850. Feel free to ask any questions - as I said, we do at least one Touareg every week. Here to help the self installers :)

Also, since the latest iOS upgrade, the wireless connection has been a lot more stable. I have been running wireless now for about a fortnight and am very impressed. Was running wired for the most part of the year due to dropouts. But so far, so good.
Thanks for offfering help. I have an IDCORE kit (at least that is what it says on Bluetooth connection). I believe I have plugged everything correctly, BUT my screen stays black ALL THE TIME. It gets power (blue and green lights inside are ON) and I see Bluetooth IDCORE from my phone, can connect. When pressing NAV, I hear a click from unit. I unplugged the LVDS cables from unit and restored as before installation and screen works fine again from factory. I tried to plug the LVDS cables differently but nothing works and the issued 90° tilted plug makes limited available options to try out. I read here that some plug the unit only to the MMI which doesn’t make sense And is impossible with said tilted plug.
Any thoughts? Thanks

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for offfering help. I have an IDCORE kit (at least that is what it says on Bluetooth connection). I believe I have plugged everything correctly, BUT my screen stays black ALL THE TIME. It gets power (blue and green lights inside are ON) and I see Bluetooth IDCORE from my phone, can connect. When pressing NAV, I hear a click from unit. I unplugged the LVDS cables from unit and restored as before installation and screen works fine again from factory. I tried to plug the LVDS cables differently but nothing works and the issued 90° tilted plug makes limited available options to try out. I read here that some plug the unit only to the MMI which doesn’t make sense And is impossible with said tilted plug.
Any thoughts? Thanks
Ok it worked by installing LVDS cables directly from the screen to CD unit, not from CD unit to the screen, even though it seems the same thing.. Everything seem to work fine now. Not that hard of an install. Just lost a lot of time figuring out why it didn’t work, I thought the unit was defective. Very happy with unit so far. Bough it 394$ CAD from AliExpress

· Registered
3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Just done an install of one of these. Thanks to everyone's input in this channel, it all helped before going in and doing the surgery (documented here - Carplay Upgrade for VW Touareg – Paul O'Brien (paulobrien.co.nz) ).. I am happy with the unit, steering wheel controls work, got the AUX audio working, the unit is fast and responsive and quick to connect. all in all, glad it undertook the mission!

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Electrical wiring Technology Cable Wire Electrical supply

· Registered
2016 Touareg, 1999 Audi A4 Stroker
84 Posts
Has anyone installed aftermarket cameras with this kit. Or other kits that support the oem 360 cameras? I wonder if they could they be used to retrofit a 360 system with aftermarket cameras.

Edit: I was just thinking about it and since the 360 camera system is processed by an oem module I don’t think it would be possible. Unless I were to make a module that would replicate what the oem module did although that would be a lot of work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
MY15, 7P6, V6 TDI with air
33 Posts
Feel free to ask any questions - as I said, we do at least one Touareg every week. Here to help the self installers
HI, I have installed one of the CarPlay unit around 18 months ago, and been pretty happy overall with the operation. I was wondering though where you connected to for power of the unit. I would like the unit to remain on at the same time the RNS850 is on. I cannot recall exactly where I tapped into power, but find the CarPlay will auto switch off even when RNS850 still has power.It seems the circuit I tapped into does not stay on for as long, after ignition switch off, as the RNS850.

· Registered
84 Posts
Just done an install of one of these. Thanks to everyone's input in this channel, it all helped before going in and doing the surgery (documented here - Carplay Upgrade for VW Touareg – Paul O'Brien (paulobrien.co.nz) ).. I am happy with the unit, steering wheel controls work, got the AUX audio working, the unit is fast and responsive and quick to connect. all in all, glad it undertook the mission!

View attachment 252520

View attachment 252521

View attachment 252522
I read your post on your site. Great write up! what aftermarket 360 module did you use?

· Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone installed aftermarket cameras with this kit. Or other kits that support the oem 360 cameras? I wonder if they could they be used to retrofit a 360 system with aftermarket cameras.

Edit: I was just thinking about it and since the 360 camera system is processed by an oem module I don’t think it would be possible. Unless I were to make a module that would replicate what the oem module did although that would be a lot of work

The canbus lines you tapped into, are they the thinner twisted pair or the same size (14/16) or are they more like (20/22) gauge? I have two sets of the smaller gauge and trying to figure out which ones to use.

· Registered
84 Posts
The canbus lines you tapped into, are they the thinner twisted pair or the same size (14/16) or are they more like (20/22) gauge? I have two sets of the smaller gauge and trying to figure out which ones to use.

I think you may have replied to me by accident. But I tapped into the canbus wires behind the climate control.

· Registered
MY17 Touareg Wolfsburg
126 Posts
I've installed the joyeauto today and it turns out that you don't need the AMI to 3.5mm aux adaptor. When going into the green screen menu it can be enabled, and at least in my case I can select aux without having an adapter plugged in and the soft key is no longer grey.
Car Plant Vehicle Automotive design Steering part

· Registered
2011 VR6 3.6l
50 Posts
Jumping on the bandwagon of installed Joyeauto units in my Treg.

Didn't do any long rides yet (literally received the unit yesterday from someone posting on the classifieds here) and installed it in the afternoon yesterday. Installation is pretty straightforward. Below are maybe some slight differences from other folks, but thought I post these pics at least.

1. For powering on the unit, I added a new fuse blade into the passenger fuse block. I checked for a line that only turns on when ignition is on, I didn't want to tap into a wire on the "head unit" itself. I did tap into ground on the head unit though. (I still have plenty of those terminals from a previous project.)
Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Wire Electronic device
Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Gas Engineering

2. I used the external mic and did route it like in the video to the overhead light box. I opened this once before so I knew I was able to route a cable through the headliner and down the passenger side. The mic fit quite snug and it almost looked like it was meant to be there. :)
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

3. I unpaired my phone from the car BT and connected BT to the Joyeauto unit. Only did a quick test call and seems to be working fine.

Some troubleshooting I had to do:
1. Nav button didn't work originally to get to the Joyeauto unit screen, but it was due a bad connection to the MMI cable behind the headunit. After redoing the connection it worked fine.
2. Screen was just black - instructions are quite minimal, but ultimately - thanks to this long post, figured out that I need to connect behind the headunit the gray cable (for me at least gray).
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

2.1 - Headunit = the CD box in glove box.
2.2 - Display = the Display in the middle (there's nothing you need to do with the screen like others mentioned).
3. Aux - the post from @improve is a life saver :)
3.1 Green screen go to "Diagnose" > Settings > ami_aux
(his picture shows it as well, but thought I put it in writing)

· Registered
84 Posts
So yesterday I decided to test using a front camera with the joye auto kit and it actually works. Issue is that according to the front camera doc I found on their site there isn’t a separate front and rear camera trigger built into the system. I could have missed something though. It only works when I put the car in reverse then back into park. Not super useful but getting the camera to use the correct trigger should fix this issue. Gonna try and get it working correctly sometime this week.

· Registered
84 Posts
Oh! so cool! Did you follow this sheet to hook up?

View attachment 253131
Yes sir I did but it only appears when going from reverse to park. I’ll have to confirm if that wire is only a reverse trigger. Maybe one of the other wires is a trigger for drive not sure though.

For anyone curious I used this camera it actually clips into place in the oem location.

US $16.87 25% Off | 1920*1080P AHD180deg fisheye car front logo camera for VW Volkswagen SPORTSVAN TOUAREG 2016 2019 front view camera CVBS HD Front

321 - 340 of 347 Posts