Club Touareg Forum banner

181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
MY15, 7P6, V6 TDI with air
19 Posts
Hi RobCli,

I ended up purchasing the JoyeAuto unit from Xtreme Car Deco in Box hill. The guy there was really helpful. He is selling the units on ebay for $750 but if you go and see them and buy direct they will do it for $680. They take Credit card and provide full Tax invoice with 12 month warranty. Sam is the Guys Name: [email protected]. I think they must have moved recently as the Web page address has not been updated to the Box hill one. They are at 500 Station st Box hill.

I started to install the unit on Tuesday and had some issues. As we all know the instructions are poor and even the official Joyeauto you tube video lacks some detail. Believe me I have read though thise posts many times
After rough installing system to check to make sure it works I had a couple of issues.

Unit would power on and Green LED inside Joyeauto box would come on and then turn off again. I sent message to Sam at Xtreme and he came back with I had to connect the ACC red wire also for it to work. Instructions only say only to connect 12V yellow. This fixed the problem with the unit and I was able to get the Wifi Signal and the Bluetooth to connect to my iPhone.

Second issue I have is I get no display at all coming up on the head unit. I get sound but cannot control the volume and of course no display, not even original GUI. If I remove the Joyeauto module the Display is back ok.

Sam at Extreme has been super helpful with the troubleshooting via TXT message and he also even rang me to help. He said if I have no diplay and have the Cables to the Display(in/out) correctly then the CanBus connection is not good. I used the wire taps he supplied me which I think may not be very good. I went out today an purchased UNIXON JOWX-T2 wire taps from Jaycar.( can't find Posi-tap in Aus) I will swap these over tomorrow morning and try again. I did tap the can bus under the carpet but noticed there were 2 sets of cable with the same colors. From what I read on the forum, you can use either set? Sam told me you can use either Set.

I also have tapped the 12v& GND and the pin 10 connection from the plug on the back of the MMI connector at DVD drive.

Would be interested if anyone else has had issues with the display not working. Would be keen to know if the Can Connection is unplugged that the whole display goes out.

I will post an update tomorrow hopefully when I get time to try the new Can Bus taps.

Cheers
thanks Rotelman69, buying locally, with support makes sense given the complicated installs and troubleshooting others have experienced. Good luck with your installation. cheers, Rob

·
Registered
MY15, 7P6, V6 TDI with air
19 Posts
I've had an all together positive experience with my Naviplus.
I've had mine in the car for over 4 months and of that whole time, I've only ever had the unit play up (i.e. lose connection) twice, where I had to power cycle the car. Always came good after the power cycle.
I think part of the issues people are experiencing are because of Carplay design. I use it for Android Auto with my Samsung, and by design, Android Auto routes audio through the wired connection (USB to Naviplus) while the Bluetooth handles the calls, which goes to the standard RNS850.
The only functionality I haven't got is the 'OK Google' voice commands. Haven't connected the supplied microphone, as I didn't want the hassle to try and mount it somewhere. Still looking into tapping into the existing microphones, but I don't want to cut up the existing mic wires, so was looking to source the crimps that VW use in their wiring to create a patch splitter cable.
The only button that switches the display to the Naviplus screen is the NAV button, all other steering wheel buttons work as standard. I purchased the SWC module, so left and right track buttons work as well.
Only issue that I do have with the unit is using it with start stop functionality, as I mentioned previously. If left on, the start stop momentarily cuts the power to the Naviplus and the music cuts out for a second or so. The screen stays powered on, but for whatever reason the audio cuts out. It doesn't affect phone calls as they are using Bluetooth via the RNS850. I've just learnt to live with it and turn off start stop when I get in the car.

It's not a cheap unit, but I absolutely love it.
Hi Zenki14, there is a code change you can make to turn off start/stop, or remember the last setting. There is also a setting to reverse the start/stop light. I have changed the setting to remember last setting (generally switching off the start/stop as the engine restart is sluggish), and reversed the switch light setting, so light is not on all the time (light is off when start/stop is disabled).
I changed these setting using ODBEleven from AutoInstruct.
cheers, Rob

·
Registered
MY18 Touareg R-Line V8, White
15 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have been living with the JoyeAuto for nearly 20 days now. I daily drive the car and can report back that I am very happy with the system and would recommend it quite happily. You just need to be prepared for the known short comings of the system. It definitely beats the factory system and the integration of Google maps with voice address look up leaves Siri and the factory system in the dust. Telling Siri to navigate to an address almost always results in the wrong address inputted. I have 99% positive results with Google Maps.. It just works. Would be nice to be able to choose Google over Siri by default on iPhone, but we know Apple would never allow it.

I only use the Wireless Car play feature so this is my Experience

Some Negatives.

1. Every now and then it doesn't connect. A quick reset from the Joyeauto Smart phone icon restarts it and it works perfect. (Known issue )
2. Skip button on steering wheel doesn't work. ( Known issue )
3. Apple maps doesn't dim the screen to night mode. ( known issue)
4. Built in Bluetooth phone is Crap. There is a huge echo. I installed the Extra Mic supplied with the system. The receiver of your call will complain that they can hear themselves. Obviously the system has no noise cancelling feature. This also means the phone buttons on the steering wheel don't work either. I have disabled this as it's useless.
5 If you using Waze, Google maps to navigate, you have to switch back to the music screen to skip the track ( you can use siri to skip as a work around )

Some Positives

1. 99% of Car play features work fine.
2. Google Maps works perfectly with voice address entry. Awesome Live traffic info. Screen dimming at night works
3. Factory Bluetooth phone integration works perfect - Recommend this way.
4. Waze works great also. Screen dimming works. Great for speed camera announcements.
5. Tunein Radio app and iHeart Radio app works great. No need to use factory radio anymore - Just stream it
6. Wireless Car Play is awesome. No need to take the phone out of your pocket any more. No need for a Cradle to hold your phone and tempt you to touch it ( Cops are red hot on this now with Cameras in NSW)
7. Having Google Maps/ Apple Maps beats the Hell out of paying for the Factory Rip off Map upgrades VW offer. This is definitely a cheaper way to go and you have live traffic. Why do you think manufacturers have been so slow in intergrating Car Play..... They lose $$$

All in all, you just need to read up on how to install correctly. The instructions supplied with the unit are really bad as we know. If they were brilliant instructions I think a lot more people would have a better and more positive experience with this unit.

Cheers

R

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is great. I’m taking my unit in to a stereo install shop on Saturday. Is this something that installers can do with their eyes closed, or are there some issues and intricacies that I should let them know about?

Also, did you connect their microphone at all, or not even put it in?
Curious to see how voice commands go through it while using the VW Bluetooth for calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Touareg 3.0TDI Exclusive (2013)
19 Posts
Hello guys,

I have just received package from naviplus.com.au. I am disappointed, because when I opened package, there was an Joyeauto unit for 850AUD. I thought that they are making own units, but reality is different.

·
Registered
MY18 Touareg R-Line V8, White
15 Posts
Hello guys,

I have just received package from naviplus.com.au. I am disappointed, because when I opened package, there was an Joyeauto unit for 850AUD. I thought that they are making own units, but reality is different.
I checked out the Naviplus unit and it was 3 separate modules if you want Wireless carplay and Steering controls. I would be calling them. You paid the Joyeauto price because I was quoted $1050 for the lot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I checked out the Naviplus unit and it was 3 separate modules if you want Wireless carplay and Steering controls. I would be calling them. You paid the Joyeauto price because I was quoted $1050 for the lot.
I wrote them same message in same way, that they are selling own units. And response? We are using our kit when customers order SWC options. Anyway, what is the best spot to place USB socket?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if I got a different unit folks but my Joyeauto unit works with the steering wheel controls using bluetooth audio as the source. Also able to switch between the car play and oem screens using the hamburger button on the swc.

So just to be clear I have a joyeauto unit purchased from eBay, I use the factory Bluetooth input with factory mic. I had issues with the seller delaying shipment but when it showed up it worked fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure if I got a different unit folks but my Joyeauto unit works with the steering wheel controls using bluetooth audio as the source. Also able to switch between the car play and oem screens using the hamburger button on the swc.

So just to be clear I have a joyeauto unit purchased from eBay, I use the factory Bluetooth input with mic. I had issues with the seller delaying shipment but when it showed up it worked fine.

How's your call quality with the Joye mic? I'm in the stereo install shop as we speak getting mine installed and told them to leave it out. I was planning on using the VW Bluetooth since the consensus was that the mic w/ the unit was horrible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How's your call quality with the Joye mic? I'm in the stereo install shop as we speak getting mine installed and told them to leave it out. I was planning on using the VW Bluetooth since the consensus was that the mic w/ the unit was horrible.
Sorry I was unclear. I use the factory mic and call quality is good with no complaints, chose that direction for the same reason as yours. I think the only feature you lose is voice commands with the joyeauto but you can “hey Siri” instead.

Every once in a while it gets confused connecting when my wife and my phone are in the car at the same time but is easily resolved with one of us turning off the WiFi and the unit automatically connects.

Has anyone been able to find a video output for rear screens on our head unit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Installed and very happ with CarPlay upgrade, instructions need work . I’ll give more info in a few days. I was told that the mic 🎤 that came with the CarPlay upgrade sounds better, also siri seems to make less mistakes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Installed and very happ with CarPlay upgrade, instructions need work . I’ll give more info in a few days. I was told that the mic 🎤 that came with the CarPlay upgrade sounds better, also siri seems to make less mistakes.
Audio output from the phone is working? I could not get it working. AUX source in media is still greyed out. It seems like it is ignoring connection. There were 3.5mm jack cables: one female (says output) and one male without label. I assumed, that they should be connected together and seller provided "dummy" connector to MMI interface. Any hint guys please?

EDIT: It seems that issue is only on Android. Apple is working fine/smoother but AndroidAuto is buggy. I tried Android9+10, neither of them was providing sound.

·
Learner
5,159 Posts
So how's the functionally, mic quality, steering wheel controls, mfi scroll,the menu part where it interferes with nav and carplay

·
Registered
12 Posts
So how's the functionally, mic quality, steering wheel controls, mfi scroll,the menu part where it interferes with nav and carplay
Scroll is a little slow in CarPlay but I find that the only time I need it is when searching for a name which as stated before is resolved using “hey Siri”. the switch between nav and CarPlay for me was just a click of the hamburger button on the swc. Everything else functions with my iPhone. I can’t comment on the provided mic but have no complaints with the factory unit. Maybe I got a freak unit...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Audio output from the phone is working? I could not get it working. AUX source in media is still greyed out. It seems like it is ignoring connection. There were 3.5mm jack cables: one female (says output) and one male without label. I assumed, that they should be connected together and seller provided "dummy" connector to MMI interface. Any hint guys please?

EDIT: It seems that issue is only on Android. Apple is working fine/smoother but AndroidAuto is buggy. I tried Android9+10, neither of them was providing sound.

I plugged a 3.5 adapter into the MMI interface in the glovebox then the 3.5 jack into the audio input on the CarPlay cable. I also am using the microphone they came with the kit.
radio is set to aux and i hear all sounds from radio and carplay. Phone works on both systems, txt msg are spoken and I can reply to them.

·
Learner
5,159 Posts
Scroll is a little slow in CarPlay but I find that the only time I need it is when searching for a name which as stated before is resolved using “hey Siri”. the switch between nav and CarPlay for me was just a click of the hamburger button on the swc. Everything else functions with my iPhone. I can’t comment on the provided mic but have no complaints with the factory unit. Maybe I got a freak unit...

That's great, by scrolling I meant the menu scroll on steering for the mfi. When you hit the centre button to select it, it wrongly switches the nav screen to the input from the carplay unit

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's great, by scrolling I meant the menu scroll on steering for the mfi. When you hit the centre button to select it, it wrongly switches the nav screen to the input from the carplay unit
I’ll try to get a video of it for you, I don’t believe I’m explaining it correctly. The highlighted button below is what switches between CarPlay to the oem screen functions (also holding down the nav button will work but not as consistent).It doesn’t make any unwanted finalized selection but does slightly interfere with the cluster display for a moment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ll try to get a video of it for you, I don’t believe I’m explaining it correctly. The highlighted button below is what switches between CarPlay to the oem screen functions (also holding down the nav button will work but not as consistent).It doesn’t make any unwanted finalized selection but does slightly interfere with the cluster display for a moment.

It works the same for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well my joyeauto unit is dead. Worked OK for 3 months, now the phone will connect but nothing on the screen. I can’t get it to kick in when pressing the Nav button. So I have ‘forgotten’ the CarPlay connection and back to using the RNS 850. Between the cost of the unit from auto-accessories2011 on eBay and the cost of the install, a complete waste of money. Really don’t think I’ll throw good money after bad by taking it back to the audio shop to get it checked out.

181 - 200 of 215 Posts