Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
** Moderator tip**
Many ClubTouareg.com members and Touareg owners using the Toaureg Owners Facebook page have purchased Carplay/Android Auto units from a variety of providers in China and a re-seller in Australia.
In respect of the Chinese "JoyeAuto" units it would be fair to say that a majority of purchasers have been disappointed with:
1. Lack of detailed explanation of the correct wiring procedure from the re-seller/manufacturer (when purchased from Aliexpress/Ebay etc)
2. A less than satisfactory integration with the Touareg's existing hardware.
3. Purchasers have been left with the feeling of "really not worth the effort, trouble and $$$s"
I have purchased one of these units and have experienced the above points. I am currently working thru a Paypal resolution process to try and recoup most/all of my outlay.
BUYER BEWARE. THIS IS A HIT AND MISS MODIFICATION.
Naviplus - Australia unit appears to be the only unit to provide the advertised outcome. It does cost a lot more, but you get what you pay for it seems. This is not an endorsement of Naviplus, however, there seems to be more success when using their product, compared to the Aliexpress/Ebay unit aka "JoyeAuto"
SteveL

Has anyone tried or heard about about this?

Volkswagen Touareg RCD850 RNS850 2010-2017 WiFi Wireless Apple CarPlay AirPlay Android Auto Retrofit – Joyeauto Technology

Obviously a lot of you have wondered if it was possible to install Apple CarPlay on the RNS 850, but there is only one that is mentioned - Naviplus (The company from Australia)

I know there are a lot of Chinese companies selling Android Auto/ Apple CarPlay retrofit kits, I just don't see enough information about this particular company (JoyeAuto). This is their AliExpress vendor page - ZHOYITO Official Store - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress.

Earlier this year I installed an RCD 330/340 on my MK6 Jetta and it is AMAZING; love having AppleCarplay. Also it was crazy easy to install. A month ago I bought my wife a 2016 Touareg Executive, which has everything, EXCEPT Apple CarPlay. I really thought it was going to be easy to find a way to upgrade it, but alas, I have found nothing yet (like a lot of you).

Anywho, JoyeAuto seems to have good reviews for the units they have sold the most. Also, I have seen there are options for BMW, Audi & Mercedes from other vendors. So my question is, who is going to take the plunge and try it our because I am too scared to do it! Seems pretty legit though and I see a lot of similarities between their documentation/information and what is available from the Naviplus site & videos. What do you guys think?

Here are some of the videos I found.

·
Learner
5,159 Posts
Would be good to have car and android play but not sure about ripping the car apart like that..

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am currently trying to decide between this and the Naviplus model. Joyeauto is wireless but wants to tap canbus under the carpet requiring a good bit of trim removal.....Naviplus is wired airplay but taps the canbus at the climate control module which appears to be a vastly more convenient location. Naviplus also requires modding the touch screen ribbon interfaces.

So I am wondering if we can tap the canbus with the joyeauto unit at the climate control module as well? Looking at this wiring diagram from ERWIN sure makes it look like the two canbus systems interface there (hence the Naviplus unit taking advantage of it). Shouldnt it work the same for Joyetech? I asked them via email but did not get a response fwiw.

Heres the diagrams:

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just ordered the joyeauto unit for the wireless capability....getting under the carpet doesnt look too difficult....will unbox and take pics for this thread when it shows up...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Agree, in for the process and pics and general fun.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok so i decided to tear into the car before the positaps got here.....

Display head removed...

Glovebox, fuse cover, a pillar center, and door sill trim removed all very easy...EXCEPT:

DONT FORGET TO REMOVE YOUR GLOVEBOX LAMP BEFORE TAKING GLOCEBOX DOWN....so you want **** it up like I did....anybody recommend a good source for a new one?

Pull up there carpet and you will find this nice enclosed cable raceway. In there is the comfort canbus that needs to be tapped. The cables are bundled tightly together and zip tied down inside there so im thinking i will need to snip them to give me some slack for attaching the wire taps.

I have everything routed and laid out and will post more pics once I have finished all the connections and verified this module is operational.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bought one as well, excited to give it a shot. Hopefully the climate control CANBus tap works out!
I decided to just not rock the boat and tap it under the passenger floorboard like joyeauto recommends. Really isnt too difficult to get under there. But YES the climate control harness is more convenient.

Positap connectors got here from Amazon today so i plan on having it all connected this evening. Looking forward to having wireless carplay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven’t decided on a microphone location but pretty sure i dont want to replace the oem mic. You got any ideas?
I need to look under the overhead console -- I know there are 4 small grills, not sure what devices are lodged behind the others (beyond the factory microphone). Hard to tell from this picture...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I need to look under the overhead console -- I know there are 4 small grills, not sure what devices are lodged behind the others (beyond the factory microphone). Hard to tell from this picture...

Yeah im not too keen to mess with the headliner if there is no room pry and hide the microphone wire. But ive been able to do that in the past on other vehicles kaybe this is the same. Otherwise might be able to hide it in the console somewhere...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ended up ordering a different Android box that doesn't require tapping the CAN bus lines. The cost is a little less, but not by much if you want wireless carplay. I opted for the wired CarPlay dongle since the wireless one has spotty reviews. I'll report back once it arrives from China. There's another thread for that box here: https://www.clubtouareg.com/threads/android-box-installed.289775/#post-2060994

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well was able to get it all wired up and connected and seems to work as advertised. I was crunched for time so didnt get any pics but will get some once i start putting everything back together.

Not sure i am too keen on just letting the module sit loosely behind the display to rattle around....may have to use some dounle sided tape or velcro tape to stabilize it....but who knows if it would ever be an issue....tomorrow is route the microphone somewherr day....

1 - 20 of 215 Posts