Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to upgrade the other car and now am selling my JL Audio HD 900/5 amp. It's in near perfect condition; works flawlessly. No visible scratches on top. Build date of Sep 2014 and was used just under one year with light use. Comes with original packaging and all molex plugs. Great amp.
Basic specs are:
100 watts RMS x 4 channels and 500 watts RMS for the sub channel. For as small as this amp is, it truly is an all in one amp that can fit nearly anywhere.

MSRP $999. Asking $500. Free shipping anywhere in continental U.S. Others, please inquire.

·
Registered
314 Posts
So potentially dumb question here... I looked up the specs on that amp, and with a higher ohm load, it puts out more power?? I always thought as the ohms go down, amps put out more power...?

Why is this one different??

·
Registered
127 Posts
I could be wrong but....

So potentially dumb question here... I looked up the specs on that amp, and with a higher ohm load, it puts out more power?? I always thought as the ohms go down, amps put out more power...?

The specs looked a little puzzling to me too, and its been years since I dabbled in Car Audio, but I am going to assume the specs are based on how flexible the amp is able to handle different speaker configurations and thus load.

900W 5-Channel Class D, HD Series Small Profile Car Amplifier with R.I.P.S. Technology
• Full-Range RMS: 100W x 4 @ 4 ohms, 75 x 4 @ 3-1.5 ohms
• Subwoofer RMS: 500W x 1 @ 4-1.5 ohms
• R.I.P.S. - Regulated, Intelligent Power Supply
• Single Cycle control - High Fidelity Class D

Perhaps you can have as low as a 1.5 Ohm load with speakers in tri mode per channel but it will not produce more than 75W per channel.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this what you pulled out to use the match instead?
No, had it in my other car. Don't want to install in my T3 because I don't want to hassle with rewiring the doors. It's a very loud amp. Don't desire that anymore.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That's typically the case with most amps. JLs is a slightly different set up using their RIPS system.

Side note: power only drops for channels 1-4. Sub channel stays at 500 watts from 1.5 - 4 ohms.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The specs looked a little puzzling to me too, and its been years since I dabbled in Car Audio, but I am going to assume the specs are based on how flexible the amp is able to handle different speaker configurations and thus load.

900W 5-Channel Class D, HD Series Small Profile Car Amplifier with R.I.P.S. Technology
• Full-Range RMS: 100W x 4 @ 4 ohms, 75 x 4 @ 3-1.5 ohms
• Subwoofer RMS: 500W x 1 @ 4-1.5 ohms
• R.I.P.S. - Regulated, Intelligent Power Supply
• Single Cycle control - High Fidelity Class D

Perhaps you can have as low as a 1.5 Ohm load with speakers in tri mode per channel but it will not produce more than 75W per channel.

Yes, if you take a look at JLs subwoofers (specifically the W7 line), they are rated at 3 ohms each. They are very good subs, but they are also clearly trying to maximize the subs so they are performing best with their amps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts