Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone interested in some minor improvements, JHM has some nice products that will carry over to the Touareg.

Here's the lightweight crank pulley that they offer, installed on my Touareg...

A pretty nice weight reduction from the stock pulley. About 5lbs of rotational mass, GONE!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I had the manifold off, I just HAD to check out the carbon build up that the Audi/VW FSI motors are notorious for. Something to think about, I'm a lil over 60k miles. I ran (2) cans of CRC Intake Valve Cleaner about a month ago. And I still have this much build-up...

It took me about 3 hours and 4-5 cans of brake cleaner to clean them all off. It's amazing how slimy and gooey the stuff is. Once you let the cleaner soak in, the carbon deposits do come off easy.

So for anyone looking to tackle the project, plan for a lil over an hour to remove the manifold, AT LEAST 2-3 hours for the cleaning (depending on how picky you are), and another hour to put everything back together.

NOTE: If you do the spacers, there are only two things you will need to "customize." One... undo all of the clamps that hold down the hard fuel lines to the block. You will need the extra play to wiggle the lines back on to the HPFPs and the distribution block. Two... there are two screws that secure the oil bypass to the block. You will not be able to use these bolts. But you can ziptie the holes together, if you think you need the extra stability.

Once you get in there, you will know what I mean...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Somehow... I've picked up another 50-60 miles per tank! Even with the AC running all the time. It is 120* out... ?

Could it be the spacers...?

Could it be the manual carbon cleaning...?

Who knows... but I'll take it!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The parts for the V8 FSI S5 were what I ordered.

As far as the pulley, there is a lil more of a snappy response, more noticeable with the AC off. When I did lightweight pulleys on my Nissans in the past, chirping the tires were easy, even goin into 2nd. But don't expect chirping in the Touareg... ?

As far as sound from the spacers, I'd have to say no. The gutting of my intake boxes were what affected that the most.

As far as the installation processes, the manifold by far, is more time consuming. The pulley really is as easy as...

Move tensioner to allow belt removal
Remove belt
Unscrew bolts holding pulley on
Transfer guide pin from OEM to JHM
Bolt JHM pulley on
Reinstall belt

Should be under an hour worth of work...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It really is an easy job. When I get home from work, I'll snap some pictures and walk you through it... ?

Did you get a new belt too? You don't have to, just figured if you're takin one off, might as well put a fresh one on...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NOTE: All of these pictures were taken post-install.

You can do the install from above or below. Whichever is easiest for you. For me, I attacked from below.

Before you get started, you only need a couple tools/supplies...

Long 3/8" ratchet or serpentine belt tool
T-50 Torx bit
PB Blast or WD-40
Needle nose vise-grips or pliers

Ready to dig in...? OK!

It took me some time to get the OEM pulley to separate from the crank shaft. So grab your PB Blast and spray the center bore from the front...

Try and get some to run down the back, too, by angling your nozzle spray on the back side. Anything you can do to help break that sucker loose when you are ready to start wiggling. You will want to let this soak in and reapply as you go along. Unless you're lucky and it just slides right off. Buy my Touareg came from UT, so I had some build-up.

Next, go ahead and map out your serpentine belt. Nothing like taking it off in a hurry and forgetting the route it needs to take.

Grab your 3/8" ratchet or serpentine belt tool and insert it into the key hole for the tensioner.

Not THAT key hole... thats from The Goonies!!!

That's your tensioner!

This is the key hole you are going after.... (HINT: The square one... )

If you are using a ratchet, set it to tighten. If using a serpentine belt tool, rotate clockwise. By doing this, it will pivot the tensioner and allow the belt to just slide right off.

Once you get the belt off, go ahead and break your torx bolts loose on the pulley. Use a T-50 bit...

Mine didn't take much. You don't need a breaker bar or anything crazy.

Now that you have the bolts off, now you gotta wiggle. I had to use a series of screwdrivers and pry bars, working the pulley back and forth, until I could get it off. This is what took the longest. So be patient. Be very liberal with your PB Blast! Again, maybe yours will come right off. But be prepared...

Once you get it off, you will find a lil dowl guide pin in one of the screw holes. You will need to pull it straight out with your pliers and transfer it over to the new pulley.

Once you get it transferred, its time to button everything up. Just reinstall in reverse order, using a cross-pattern when screwing the torx bolts back in.

I went ahead and cleaned off the crank hub too, and got rid of all the build-up. I applied some anti-seize, just for the heck of it. But it is by no means required.

I'm sure there is a torque spec, but I just did mine based on feel. NO AIR TOOLS! Hand tight is fine, plus a lil extra 1/8 or 1/4 turn to snug it up.

I hope you find this useful. I'm sure, once you get in there, you'll see how easy it really is.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions!!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
JHM is famous for their tunes and bolt on mods to the 4.2 Audi V8. They set some sort of record for a normally aspirated V8 with bolt on mods. The S5 FSI V8 it did a 12.8 second 1/4 mile pass.

I'd like to see if I can get that tune installed on my Touareg :) .

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree. There isn't much out there for a tune, by way of the major VAG tuners. I've contacted GIAC, APR, Malone, Unitronic... no one has anything available. Some will post a listing on a site somewhere, but when you actually contact them... they sound puzzled why you are asking. Like, "Why would anyone want to tune a Touareg!?!?"

I've considered a Sprint booster. I've never had one on any of my other cars. And they do get a lot of positive feedback. But, to me, its a false sense of improvement.

To actually go in and make some adjustments to the fueling, timing, and throttle response... that just equates to a better driving machine. Not just tweaking the signal from your accelerator pedal... :(

·
Registered
393 Posts
Don't waste your money on a sprint booster. I've experienced one on a Cayenne GTS (came with my truck and I ended up removing it). It feels exactly like what it does, i.e. it feels like you pushed on the accelerator faster and twice as far as you actually did. What it does not feel like is that you have any additional power. To me I just felt like I had a real touchy gas pedal with terrible tip-in modulation...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I think I'm gonna pass on it, for sure. The example that was shared with me was if you depress the throttle 10%, it opens the throttle body 25%. So it makes the vehicle "feel" faster, but it really isnt.

I agree, it would just make it tricky to drive and not gain positive results.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I agree. There isn't much out there for a tune, by way of the major VAG tuners. I've contacted GIAC, APR, Malone, Unitronic... no one has anything available. Some will post a listing on a site somewhere, but when you actually contact them... they sound puzzled why you are asking. Like, "Why would anyone want to tune a Touareg!?!?" I've considered a Sprint booster. I've never had one on any of my other cars. And they do get a lot of positive feedback. But, to me, its a false sense of improvement. To actually go in and make some adjustments to the fueling, timing, and throttle response... that just equates to a better driving machine. Not just tweaking the signal from your accelerator pedal... :(
Mark Malone and I exchanged several emails a couple of years ago. He asked me to log some VCDS pulls and email them to him. He looked at them and determined he could tune my Touareg but said it would gain only 20 peak HP. He said there would be an increase throughout the powerband and would make it better to drive but I decided to hold off due to my warranty.

He now has the tune on his website:

http://malonetuning.com/42l

I like JHM's test pipes.

Automotive exhaust Auto part Exhaust manifold Pipe Catalytic converter

They are required with their tune and really let the V8 FSI breathe. A tune is needed to delete the primary cats. After my extended warranty expires, I may give them a call.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think all the tuning give you approx. 20 HP but you have to find some good quality 93 octane gasoline or it will be knock knock knock...

There's a JHM distributor/retailer 15-20 mins from me, I probably should give them a call or visit them.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.