Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I bought an exjapan touareg with an aftermarket panasonic head unit. Problem is when the gps realizes that its not in japan it turns off...I've been told to cover the gps antenna with tin foil... where is it???

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
That's a new one!!

Do read the buying a used Touareg thread - the link is in my signature - so you know the normal stuff to expect! It will.probably save you money at some stage.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hi all, I bought an exjapan touareg with an aftermarket panasonic head unit. Problem is when the gps realizes that its not in japan it turns off...I've been told to cover the gps antenna with tin foil... where is it???
Which Touareg model do you have? How about FM radio? Guess you will have to replace FM antenna. Where are you on the planet? You will probably have a problem to attach the rear licence plate (if in Europe).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3.6L V6 FSI 2007 with a panasonic strada. Not worried about FM radio, the while radio shuts down...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh dear, might be easier to disconnect it behind the stereo itself... I'm in Zimbabwe btw! Thank you all

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have similar model imported a few years ago as well from Japan. Usually they do keep the GPS antennas somewhere on the dashboard, next to the bottom of the windscreen (usually in Japan they swapout the original head unit with a Japanese specific one/Panasonic Strada). Although it does sound like you have a problem with the Double Din head unit itself, so you probably need to swapout/upgrade the whole head unit at some point. Thats what I did on mine and I was able to re-use the already installed aftermarket GPS antenna that came with the Panasonic Strada unit.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Usually they do keep the GPS antennas somewhere on the dashboard, next to the bottom of the windscreen
Mr Treg obviously had an aftermarket radio/nav unit fitted at some stage.
The GPS antenna is still on the dash in the bottom RH corner of the windscreen. The cable and connector are still in the dash.

A rear view camera had been fitted and the cable fed to the radio head behind the trim on the RH side. I am now using the camera with a 7" screen that also has selectable video feed from a camera on the back of my boat.

When the video cable for the was installed, they drilled holes large enough for the connectors to feed through but did not seal them. As a result I would get water into the rear and also the boot lid. Took a while to find the holes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts