Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the comments from the health inspection report from my recent maintenance visit to the dealer:

Lock Button for Air Suspension not Working, Moved Vehicle over to 4 Post Hoist. Perform a Service.

I/P controls and lights: Jack Button for air Ride not working.

Did Oil Change on 4 Post Hoist.

Engine Drive Belts, Serpentine Belt Very Slight Cracks.

Can someone please answer my questions:

1, Why did the technician need to "Move Vehicle over to 4 Post Hoist."? What does it mean?

2, I had a spare tire put on and the CAA guy didn't activate jack mode, neither did I, I didn't know about jack mode until I saw the health inspection report. This incident happened before this maintenance but after my last maintenance, and the jack mode still worked last maintenance. Could this be what caused the jack mode to no longer work?

3, Service lady says it costs $125 to do a diagnose on the jack lock...should I go ahead with the diagnose?

4, Apparently timing belt and serpentine belt are different, I recently had my timing belt replaced, serpentine belt now has slight cracks and will need to be replaced eventually :crying:

·
Registered
133 Posts
4 post hoist might mean one that would lift your Touareg by the tires rather than the frame (see photo below). Kudos to the tech for going the extra mile and using the best lifting method when he noticed your Jack Mode wasn't functioning correctly.

You should get the issue sorted, one way or another.

I'm surprised that whoever replaced your timing belt didn't also replace the serpentine belt, as it would come off to do the timing belt service. Replacing the serp belt is no big deal though, compared to the timing belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alhutch, I really appreciate the reply.

I notice you said "You should get the issue sorted, one way or another." Why do you say that? Could it lead to serious accidents? How important is it to fix the jack mode? Can I procrastinate this until the next maintenance? (I go in every 6 months)

·
Registered
133 Posts
It should get sorted because if you need to lift a wheel off the ground, for any reason, the suspension will continue to try and level the car. It could cause the compressor to run too much and fry it or ???

I don't think it will cause you an accident, should only be an issue when all 4 tires aren't on the ground. I would personally deal with it before 6 months passed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Anybody local to you who could do a VCDS scan and see what might be happening? Maybe just the center console button is acting up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody local to you who could do a VCDS scan and see what might be happening? Maybe just the center console button is acting up.
I am not really comfortable to bring it to anyone but my VW dealer.

although I think my VW dealer is taking advantage of that by charging a premium. :crying:

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
I am not really comfortable to bring it to anyone but my VW dealer.

although I think my VW dealer is taking advantage of that by charging a premium. :crying:
If you have a local club member that could scan it for you, they could be saving you some money. VCDS is not going to hurt anything on your car. It is purely a scan tool that gives you a great deal of info on what is going on just like if you took it to a dealer. They may be willing to help you out for just the cost of a beer. We tend to be nice like that. :)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Did you try the button yourself?

Push and hold it until Jack Mode shows up in the MFD.

If it doesn't work, it's not too hard to remove the center console cover and inspect the wiring harness below to make sure the button is still plugged in.

X2 on a VCDS scan. Buy it and in 2-3 uses you have paid for it and didn't have the headache of going to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
To add to FSJ's comment, you really need to hold the button down for a bit to get it to work. It doesn't work just pushing it quickly. Could be the tech did not know that. It may be working just fine. You will see a message come up on the MFI when it is in Jack Mode.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
To add to FSJ's comment, you really need to hold the button down for a bit to get it to work. It doesn't work just pushing it quickly. Could be the tech did not know that. It may be working just fine. You will see a message come up on the MFI when it is in Jack Mode.
It wouldn't be the first time a service tech didn't know exactly what to do. Keep in mind that air suspension is no longer even offered in North America and the current training program concerning the nuances may be lacking.
Your profile just says you are in Canada. If you are near Vancouver BC there are a number of VAG COM folks up there. Check on TDICLUB.com. They have a VagCom list.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when I press the button the screen says "comfort level" with some shape, I hold the button down, the text "comfort level" and the shape goes away, nothing happens.

it would appear that the jack mode is indeed no longer working.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Possibly some liquid was spilled on the console which would require you to take console apart and there are DIY threads on how to accomplish this. Time for a VCDS scan to find out what's wrong

1 - 19 of 19 Posts