Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying a new Touareg 2016 tdi 204hp without air-suspension and without the terrain tech package.
But while I wait for it to be delivered I want to buy a hydraulic jack that will work with all my cars including the new Touareg. But before I buy the jack I need to figure out what the max/min lift height of the jack I need to look for. So my question is actually pretty simple:
What is the minimum height I have to jack my Touareg to so that I can change tires?

I have asked a couple of dealers and they have not been able to give me a consistent answer. So I figured there's no better place than to ask in this forum.

Hope someone can help me with this.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The other key piece of info you need is the height available to you underneath the car when the tire is flat.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The other key piece of info you need is the height available to you underneath the car when the tire is flat.
That will vary with wheel size and the terrain you happen to be on when the tire goes flat. That said, I would only worry about that for a jack you are going to be driving around with. For a garage jack it is not a major concern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

The car I will be buying will be fitted with 255/55R18 tires.
My plan is to buy a garage jack, and I will hopefully only use it to change from winter tires to summer tires and back again. It will be on a flat concrete surface.

I have found a couple of hydraulic jacks that go from 4" to 18" but I want to make sure that 18" is without a doubt enough. I know that I can look for something that goes up to 20" but they are so expensive.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
984 Posts
If it's only for use at home, you can always use some big blocks of wood under the jack - I use some 6" x 8" to avoid having to wind the scissors jack up so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts