Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

As said earlier, this is not my first VW. It IS however my first VW SUV, and definitely my first Diesel engined vehicle, ever.

It's financed, it's warrantied (for 2 years, covers almost everything).... Here's to hoping it lasts! Lol

I purposely picked this model. I know it's a first year variant, and that's a no-no. But I figured to hell with it. I haven't had more than 8 cylinders in a long time. (Last time I did it was a Jaguar V12).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Me too. After 15 year away (GTI and GLI) I bought a Touareg.
Two weeks later I've had it in my possession for exatly 1.5 days...............
Oh boy...................

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm really not as impressed as hoped I would be. Little things bug me on it.. But they're not factory problems, just ones that this one has. Except for the ride height.. I really hate the fact that it sits so low, unless you keep the suspension in the UP range. And even then, it lowers itself at highway speeds. I understand why, but I would love it to stay up when I want it to. I will say though, the car's most redeeming feature is its ability to get up and MOVE! I mean HOLY CRAP.. lol. Even with its failing drivetrain (I think the trans/torque converter is overdue), it still goes! I can't use full throttle at any time, it just bucks and jerks like crazy... But up to 50% throttle, it's wonderful. Just a massive gas guzzler. I'm surprised at how short of a distance the huge fuel tank goes. It's a quarter tank per day for me.. :( and that's being easy on it. Oh well.

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
Check the center bearing in the drive shaft and if your mileage is that bad something else is going on. The V10 was not super great on mileage, but you should not be going through fuel like that. I would get it checked out for sure.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The Aisin gearbox is more than capable of handling the V10 output.

It is rare for one to go wrong.

What mpg are you actually getting as in brim tank, record mileage, use, brim tank, record mileage and do the math, not what's on the MDF thingummy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guesstimate price on Center bearing replacement?

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can do it yourself with this:

Vertex Center Bearing Kit

Or pick up the full unit at around $800; there's tons of threads on it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you have an old bicycle inner tube lying around, $0.

Use the Search function to read up on centre bearing/drive shaft.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
And get under and look at that bearing soonest. If it IS the bearing support rubber going bad the wear on the tailshaft bearing in the transmission can happen pretty fast.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Except for the ride height.. I really hate the fact that it sits so low, unless you keep the suspension in the UP range. And even then, it lowers itself at highway speeds. I understand why, but I would love it to stay up when I want it to.
It's possible that the previous owner has reset the standard ride height. Do a search on this forum and you should find several conversations about control module adaptations for the air suspension.

If you have VCDS, you should be able to modify the settings...but confirm first that they have been changed in the first place. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once I get the aftermarket stereo figured out (as in, possibly removed), I'll be able to access the steering wheel control for the display in the center of the dash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts