Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a question for those in the northern latitudes - the definition of cold varies.

Trying to understand if it's normal or if I have an issue. There are no codes present.

When ambients are below 30F and the vehicle is cold soaked, I notice this behavior. The colder it is, the longer it lasts (we had a couple days last week when it stayed below 0F). But it eventually goes away and acts "normal".

Start car. Wait a couple seconds and start driving. I never hammer the throttle on a cold engine - usually pretty gentle until temps come up. While driving it feels more like a CVT engine - RPM's are kind of rubbery and generally hold somewhere around 2k to 2500 (TDI). If I take my foot off the gas or off throttle, my revs drop - almost all the way to idle - even though the car is still in gear and still moving at whatever speed I am. If I get on the gas, the revs jump back up to where they were.

It's almost like the transmission / torque converter is allowing slip (I assume to generate heat). Eventually (depending on how cold it is) the revs drop or settle (usually about 500rpm) and it acts "normal". Take foot off throttle and nothing happens - revs stay the same.

So - my question is - is this normal behavior? Do you folks who live in the northern climes have the same experiences? Or is this something I need to start through "the process".

Car is parked outside during the day and in an unheated attached garage at night.

Thx!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My transmission acts differently when it's cold as well. It revs higher before shifting, also, downshifts are not as crisp as when it's warm.

Whether cold or warm, when I take my foot off the accelerator, the revs drop down to near idle. Unless I'm in sport mode, then I get proper downshifts. I use sport mode exclusively for traffic as it allows me to slow down without having to hit the brakes all the time.

What you're describing sounds pretty normal. I wouldn't really worry about it.

And cold to me is closer to -40.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And cold to me is closer to -40.
That's getting down there. when the snow gets crunchy and your nose hairs freeze every time you inhale.

Thanks Scuba - I feel better knowing it's normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts