Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please watch this short video and tell me what you know. Is the driveshaft supposed to move like that just using your hand?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The rotational movement is normal on both mine. More so if all wheels are off the ground and the parking brake is off as it releases tension. What made you discover this? Is it driving different or doing something?

Also, the noise... I think is also normal because you are basically going back and forth between gear slack in both the rear differential, CV joint, and inner workings of the transfer case.

Unless something feels / sounds different while driving (and your Center main bearing is good) I would say things are fine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the truth is Midwest Performance in Chicago had my Treg in there for an issue and came across this and told me it was bad. I told them I just had it done in April by a Reputable shop in Plainfield IL. Now. I have a vibration from 30-40mph. New tires 2500 miles ago. No vibration with them until now. Shop that installed Driveshaft in April said the video shows normal movement. 92,000 miles on car. Thx for helping.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
For a comparison, when you change a wheel on a front wheel drive car and are ready to tighten the lugs (with the wheel off the ground) you will get large amount of movement (play) and a clicking noise.
The vibration has to do with balance or bushing being stiffer, not the play. I have The Vertex and get very mild vibration (have for 40k), I just live with it. My wife to this day can't feel it, I just am über sensitive I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts