Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over 400,000 miles of driving with zero tickets and zero stops. Only change to driving is the vehicle (love the Treg). In the last 5k miles I have been stopped twice, received a warning on one and received a ticket on the other.

Just me?

Speed has not changed.

· Super Moderator
2,017 Posts
I don't think it is. Put over 10k miles driving all over Long Island and though NYC in mine. Never once got stopped. The only person to ever harass me was a meter maid, that I still am fighting.

The day I bought my A6 I got pulled over, and was getting pulled over weekly before covid when I was driving it daily.

· Premium Member
470 Posts
Hi Tsetsaf
Speeding is speeding and the #1 cause of speeding tickets. My Touareg’s middle name must be Autobahn because it naturally prefers high speeds. It is easy to go over speed limits. And, lets face it, 160 mph is a fun speed for a few seconds on empty highway in the middle of nowhere.
I do the “quick glance” at the speedometer to see the needle position - not the numbers, just the needle position. Once my brain figured out where 60 was it was easier to “quick glance” and know my approx speed. On a speedometer that goes to 160 the needle is in a much different position than on vehicles with only a 120 speedometer.
I also use Apple Maps which alerts to most speed traps etc where I need to slow down.
but driving in a city is not the same as highway driving. Learn where your speedometer needle sits for 30 mph and use that as your guide. Also, at least on my Touareg, I can set an audible alert at a speed I choose. I set mine at 100 just to be “safe”

· Registered
59 Posts
I went from a Yamaha R6 to a black SUV. Can confirm much less police interest xD
Even compared to the many other cars I've owned, all of them being "sh*tboxes" in comparison, the Treg has yet to be pulled over once, even driving like a typical German drug dealer, on the autubahn, in southern cali. I like that I look like just another one of the countless black SUVs out here. Apart from the headlights a 2006 V10 doesn't even look old to me

· Registered
1,214 Posts
It's not the car,I've driven my 2 TREGS for over 10 yrs and haven't had a stop for anything. Most people don't even know what a Touareg is, cops included. Corvettes are a cop magnet for sure.
On good roads I travel 10mph over the listed speed limit during the daytime. No problem.

· Registered
5,540 Posts
The egg tends to be an attention seeker in general.. but I'm thinking hard and I believe this may be the only vehicle I've never been pulled over in... And that's saying a lot because it's very easy to accidentally speed in it.

Reactions: Viking Lady

· Premium Member
470 Posts
The egg tends to be an attention seeker in general.. but I'm thinking hard and I believe this may be the only vehicle I've never been pulled over in... And that's saying a lot because it's very easy to accidentally speed in it.
Vw 4 life - knock on wood when you say/write that about “never getting pulled over”

· Registered
1,214 Posts
Got to be speeding ,95% of the non VW owners have no idea what a Touareg is,I'm sure that includes the cops. It hardly stands out saying I'm a hot rod. Staying within 10MPH of speed limit should do the trick.
Now I've jinked myself.

· Registered
5,540 Posts

· Premium Member
470 Posts
my Touareg was parked at a parking area by hiking trails, my dog and I were headed back. Saw a sheriff deputy actually stop, get out and walk over to my Touareg and check it out. I approached cautiously (didnt want to be shot by scaring the deputy) Anyways we ended up having a nice chat about the Touareg excellence in everything.
i guess sometimes enforcement just wants a closer look at the rare and wonderful Touareg. And then, to remember the vehicle better they write down notes - on the only paper they have - ticket books.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry... posted and then ghosted. First pull over the sheriff said I was doing 84. I laughed immediately as I was pulling a trailer with my wife's classic piano on board. I replied I was going 72 (in a 70) and the cruise is still showing that, he gave me a warning.

Second one two weeks later in MN I was definitely speeding but not in a way that should have ended in either a stop or the ticket I received. Early morning, perfectly clear, no vehicles, straight flat interstate where the day before I had been passes all day long by other vehicles while going my same speed.

Had cruise set to 80 thinking the speed limit was 75. About 15 min in I glanced into my rear view and I see a small car front end about a mile back. Next glance it is coming up really fast. I think "wow this person is doing about 100" I lever deactivated the cruise to get more hands on as I figured this car was driving way dangerously. Glance again and he is not changing lanes to pass. Next glance I notice the push bar sticking out on both sides. Are you kidding me? He covered a mile at over 100 to pull me over for 5 miles over? Turns out speed limit is actually 70 and he says I was doing 85. I laughed again and said your joking. Again I pointed at the saved cruise number and said I was doing 80 and thought the speed limit was 75. He wrote me a ticket for 84. Must of needed his quota.

· Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,871 Posts
I don't think the Tregs are cop magnets unless there's a reason. As tadpole said it's definitely not a hot-rod looking vehicle.
I Got pulled over last year on my way to work for 83 in a 55 by a Sheriff. Funny thing is I was doing ~60 behind another vehicle that was driving erratic and decided to pass them to get away from them. I thought they might be setting me up for an insurance scam.
Getting pulled over was totally my fault.
In N.Y. if you don't have any speeding tickets you can pay a small fee (a lot less than the ticket) to be accepted in a program, then take an online safe driving course, and when completed the ticket is totally dismissed. I took that option as I didn't want the points on my license which makes the insurance companies salivate.
That same Sheriff has parked in a few places along the route I take to work since then. I think he knew I got it dismissed and was looking to nab me again. I watch my speeds carefully now though.

Reactions: C-ya

· Registered
2016 Touareg TDI Executive white/terracotta
563 Posts
I agree that nobody even knows what a Touareg is. Even my friends who know a thing or two about cars always think mine is a Tiguan. The same people will make the same mistake more than once. I believe the same applies to police. 2) it is a mom car.

I am extremely efficiency minded so I rarely exceed the speed limit, even on the highway. My personal speed limit is 70 to keep gas mileage high. I haven’t been pulled over in the Treg yet. Haven’t been pulled over since August 2019, the longest streak in my life. I used to get pulled over 2-4X a year, and many stops ended in tickets. Almost lost my license in my 3rd GTI, 5 minutes after leaving the dealer lot with the car. Cop saw my little victory lap and wasn’t having it. 3 tickets/6 points on top of 4 existing points. You lose your license at 12. Anyway all this to say I don’t think it’s a cop magnet but maybe it’s cause I drive like a mom/grandpa

· Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,871 Posts
I agree that nobody even knows what a Touareg is. Even my friends who know a thing or two about cars always think mine is a Tiguan.
I actually had some lady at the car wash, as I was toweling down mine, ask how I like my Tiguan.
I told her I wouldn't know but that I love my Touareg. She seemed surprised.

· Premium Member
470 Posts
Unrecognized for sure. Took my Touareg to a VW Dealer in Massachusetts for a DRL bulb. It was a big customer filled service dept. At the service desk (a row of 6 service writers) the service writer said “is that your Tiguan?”. Well my Touareg was the only vehicle parked immediately outside the service door so I said “I didnt come in here to be insulted! My beautiful luxury Touareg is not one of those low budget things called Tiguans, nor would I ever buy one of those rattle traps”. Yes, I was speaking loud enough for everybody to hear me. And so I did receive an apology for the insult. And after the bulb was changed he complemented the condition of my Touareg and said he hadnt seen many Touaregs before.

It became apparent that the service tech probably never had seen a Touareg before too because a month later, and across the usa, that same DRL went out again. Took to reputable knowledgable VW dealer who “fixed” it for no charge since the Massachusetts service tech failed to install correctly.

But back on main topic - on my numerous cross country adventures with my Touareg I average 80-90 mph. Using Apple navigation which includes speed trap reports from other users, all my adventures are ticketless.

· Super Moderator
2,017 Posts
Unrecognized for sure. Took my Touareg to a VW Dealer in Massachusetts for a DRL bulb. It was a big customer filled service dept. At the service desk (a row of 6 service writers) the service writer said “is that your Tiguan?”. Well my Touareg was the only vehicle parked immediately outside the service door so I said “I didnt come in here to be insulted! My beautiful luxury Touareg is not one of those low budget things called Tiguans, nor would I ever buy one of those rattle traps”. Yes, I was speaking loud enough for everybody to hear me. And so I did receive an apology for the insult. And after the bulb was changed he complemented the condition of my Touareg and said he hadnt seen many Touaregs before.

It became apparent that the service tech probably never had seen a Touareg before too because a month later, and across the usa, that same DRL went out again. Took to reputable knowledgable VW dealer who “fixed” it for no charge since the Massachusetts service tech failed to install correctly.

But back on main topic - on my numerous cross country adventures with my Touareg I average 80-90 mph. Using Apple navigation which includes speed trap reports from other users, all my adventures are ticketless.
Why you hating on the Tiggy? They're not so bad.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts