Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a much loved ‘06..4.2 V8..just had news from trusted long term ex VW mechanic that the timing chain needs replacement. F&*$! At least $3k job, not in my ability to do, and car is realistically not worth financially equal to job. Rest of her is perfectly good. Except it’s the air suspension model and has that stupid issue with ‘fault running gear’ alert and needs to be reset or valves replaced-haven’t looked into it yet as this took priority.
so question is, what to do? Any suggestions? As a parts vehicle it’s valuable. As a whole, it’s not, with this timing chain issue (Loose and needs tightening etc and will eventually blow engine).
1. keep it on drive for couple months and part out? (Literally put $1000 of brand new tires on 2 days pervious to this news!)
2. Repair and drive until dead?
3. sell to scrap yard taking a huge financial hit? (Not my first choice!)

Don't have ability to fix this one myself....leaning towards parting out the car piece by piece to be honest.

what would you guys do?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Have a much loved ‘06..4.2 V8..just had news from trusted long term ex VW mechanic that the timing chain needs replacement. F&*$! At least $3k job, not in my ability to do, and car is realistically not worth financially equal to job. Rest of her is perfectly good. Except it’s the air suspension model and has that stupid issue with ‘fault running gear’ alert and needs to be reset or valves replaced-haven’t looked into it yet as this took priority.
so question is, what to do? Any suggestions? As a parts vehicle it’s valuable. As a whole, it’s not, with this timing chain issue (Loose and needs tightening etc and will eventually blow engine).
1. keep it on drive for couple months and part out? (Literally put $1000 of brand new tires on 2 days pervious to this news!)
2. Repair and drive until dead?
3. sell to scrap yard taking a huge financial hit? (Not my first choice!)

Don't have ability to fix this one myself....leaning towards parting out the car piece by piece to be honest.

what would you guys do?
If you get the parts and tools you need its not something that can not be done unless you can do basic stuff, but you need few special tools to do it correctly

·
Registered
652 Posts
2006 V8 has a timing belt, which can be replaced for under $1000. There are two chains that link the exhaust cam to the intake cam, but again, it’s not a difficult repair.

Where in Canada are you? I’d help you out, or buy it off you :)

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
^^the above is correct.

The air suspension is not a magic voodoo system, but the majority of people treat it like it is.

If it spewed out antifreeze, every shade tree mechanic would be self diagnosing it. But since you can't just see the leak with almost zero effort, everyone is OMG the magic has escaped and we need a full fledged wizard to recast the spell.

Here is how you find a leak. You buy a bottle of children's bubble soap. Stuff is cheap. You start painting the common leak areas. You watch for the magic bubbles to form. That is where the magic is escaping from.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you get the parts and tools you need its not something that can not be done unless you can do basic stuff, but you need few special tools to do it correctly
G’day nikoloz, I mistyped - it‘s an ‘05. Still has the belt? I am a basic, rational driveway mechanic, and again I’d need the tools to do this but it is a little intimidating to me. I’d prefer to fix and do it with help of course...not like there’s much else to do recently! The chain (s) are loose and there is also a valve train issue from that I reckon as it has a mild tap on start and continues thereafter. Although most people here are quite experienced (thank you all!) and it would seem not an insurmountable repair, which I agree with, I have never done anything as much as this before - taking apart a V8. Would it really be possible for me to do so?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^the above is correct.

The air suspension is not a magic voodoo system, but the majority of people treat it like it is.

If it spewed out antifreeze, every shade tree mechanic would be self diagnosing it. But since you can't just see the leak with almost zero effort, everyone is OMG the magic has escaped and we need a full fledged wizard to recast the spell.

Here is how you find a leak. You buy a bottle of children's bubble soap. Stuff is cheap. You start painting the common leak areas. You watch for the magic bubbles to form. That is where the magic is escaping from.
Oh, I’m in calgary BTW...

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you still enjoy driving it and feel safe doing so, fixing it will be much cheaper than buying a newer anything close to what you have. Your mechanic quoted $C3K? Maybe get another estimate? It's too far a drive to the southeast for me. Hopefully you'll find someone closer.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
G’day nikoloz, I mistyped - it‘s an ‘05. Still has the belt? I am a basic, rational driveway mechanic, and again I’d need the tools to do this but it is a little intimidating to me. I’d prefer to fix and do it with help of course...not like there’s much else to do recently! The chain (s) are loose and there is also a valve train issue from that I reckon as it has a mild tap on start and continues thereafter. Although most people here are quite experienced (thank you all!) and it would seem not an insurmountable repair, which I agree with, I have never done anything as much as this before - taking apart a V8. Would it really be possible for me to do so?
Yes, first generation touaregs have belt driven timing, but there are chains on both banks that are synchronizing cams, AXQ engine code, (BAR "FSI" is different) and there are tensioners that are going bad, i have not found any info about repairing them in any way, and cheap aftermarket replacement is not a good idea as well, so you need few special tools to get the job done i can share documents were all the information is there about everything you need, tools and torque specs, so you will get the idea if you can do it yourself mate ;) give me your email and I'll send the file that you need

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, first generation touaregs have belt driven timing, but there are chains on both banks that are synchronizing cams, AXQ engine code, (BAR "FSI" is different) and there are tensioners that are going bad, i have not found any info about repairing them in any way, and cheap aftermarket replacement is not a good idea as well, so you need few special tools to get the job done i can share documents were all the information is there about everything you need, tools and torque specs, so you will get the idea if you can do it yourself mate ;) give me your email and I'll send the file that you need
That's sounds great-email is [email protected] - so it's replace all parts rather than repair. Then have to fix the air suspension system....ugh..
Appreciate it thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Please explain why your mechanic says the timing "chain" needs replacing.

What are the symptoms?

Is the engine still running okay?

Or has it packed up?

And, yes, it has a timing belt and if and when you replace it you also replace the belt tensioners, water pump and thermostat at the same time.

You can buy the complete kit from Blauparts and they will also loan you an important tool you will need on a sale or return basis.

But first, please fully explain the symptoms you are experiencing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please explain why your mechanic says the timing "chain" needs replacing.

What are the symptoms?

Is the engine still running okay?

Or has it packed up?

And, yes, it has a timing belt and if and when you replace it you also replace the belt tensioners, water pump and thermostat at the same time.

You can buy the complete kit from Blauparts and they will also loan you an important tool you will need on a sale or return basis.

But first, please fully explain the symptoms you are experiencing.
OK. On start up car has tapping, then calms down but still there - on investigation rear valve train has issue apparently stemming from loose timing chains-diagnosis is to replace all of above mentioned at a cost of upwards of CAN$2500. Last week on way to mechanics oil pressure dropped suddenly (first time). Towed to shop. Oil pressure is good now, no issues there. Related? I don't know.
Other than the notorious air suspension issue with these 4.2 V8 suspension set ups it runs perfectly. No issues whatsoever. Regularly serviced with Royal Purple Oil, K&N air filters etc. Best gear i can get basically. It is well looked after and in great shape inside and out for a 15 year old.
I am by no means a mechanic and have basic skill level, never taken on anything like this at all but seems to be quite logical in process and nature? This is definitely outside my skill set at present, and i would need to purchase tools etc to complete the job so have to factor in this cost as well. Most i do is driveway repair - shocks, brakes etc.Is this possible for someone like me to take on?

·
Registered
3,905 Posts

Lolz! Research what you are getting into.

If you have a competent mechanic who is going to put in two new cam tensioners, two new chains, check the cams, reset the timing, replace the timing belt parts along with the water pump and thermostat for 3K... it is a fair price.

At the dealer, it might be cheaper to buy a boxed engine then to fix all that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Lolz! Research what you are getting into.

If you have a competent mechanic who is going to put in two new cam tensioners, two new chains, check the cams, reset the timing, replace the timing belt parts along with the water pump and thermostat for 3K... it is a fair price.

At the dealer, it might be cheaper to buy a boxed engine then to fix all that.

I have looked through a fair amount of videos and researched the job. At this stage i'd say i would have someone with the skill set and knowledge do this. So may end up parting out or selling as is. Thanks so much for the help here people.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Resell value only matters if you plan on selling the vehicle and want the money to put in the next vehicle. If you plan to drive it until it is dead, the resell suddenly does not matter.

It is going to be hard to find a vehicle you love for 3K. You might want to think about that.

So, make your decision. Find a 3K or under 3K vehicle that you don't like or spend 3K so that you can keep driving one that you do like.

If you don't want it, ask the mechanic if they will buy it.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'd say repair it for 3K at least you'll have a clean/fixed reliable vehicle with a known history and new belts and pieces instead of a 3k car you'll be repairing with all the surprises that come with it.
As for the suspension find the leak and get the parts. Might be just a 50$ pressure relief valve or two.
We can help with the vw documentation if your mechanic does not have the necessary procedures.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
821 Posts
I have looked through a fair amount of videos and researched the job. At this stage i'd say i would have someone with the skill set and knowledge do this. So may end up parting out or selling as is. Thanks so much for the help here people.
I would not count on a part out being a better source for a sale. Not much call for the parts and the people for the most part looking will not complete the sale once you have pulled the parts, from my experience. Some sales will be wonderful but 100 inquiries will net less than 10 orders. Then you have to package, ship and pay fees. Some parts I sold due to the size cost more to ship than they were worth.

My situation was a bit different as I have 3 Touaregs and several local people call on a regular basis for assistance so I will give away parts I have to help out somebody.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would not count on a part out being a better source for a sale. Not much call for the parts and the people for the most part looking will not complete the sale once you have pulled the parts, from my experience. Some sales will be wonderful but 100 inquiries will net less than 10 orders. Then you have to package, ship and pay fees. Some parts I sold due to the size cost more to ship than they were worth.

My situation was a bit different as I have 3 Touaregs and several local people call on a regular basis for assistance so I will give away parts I have to help out somebody.
Agreed, next to nobody gets as much from parting out as they thought they would. And they spend many hours taking parts off and packing and shipping them. Then you're left with MOST of the car still to dispose of, and nobody wants to take it because you've pulled the things that they sell to get their money back.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sucks to make that call, but if you know it's an otherwise solid car you HAVE to fix it. Selling it for 1,500 or whatever plus the 3k to fix it and what would you get that would better for $4500 or however much? Someone elses problem? YOU won't know. ;) You didn't mention mileage or the condition of the body but if they are decent then it's a no brainer to fix it, much as it hurts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts