Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,385 Posts
Are the bulbs literally plug-n-play? How do they light up the road/side of road vs stock? 8k lumens is a LOT of lighting...
Yes they are absolutely plug and play. Lighting of the road/side depends on the LED chips orientation. I put mine left/right so the sides of the road is lit up. I would guess, and I might be wrong, that if you oriented the LED chips up/down it would project down the road rather than the sides of the road. I didn't try that position so I'm only guessing.
They do a great job in my case of illuminating the sides of the road, even on the highway. I did adjust my fog lenses down a bit so the light would not go into oncoming traffics vision.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes they are absolutely plug and play. Lighting of the road/side depends on the LED chips orientation. I put mine left/right so the sides of the road is lit up. I would guess, and I might be wrong, that if you oriented the LED chips up/down it would project down the road rather than the sides of the road. I didn't try that position so I'm only guessing.
They do a great job in my case of illuminating the sides of the road, even on the highway. I did adjust my fog lenses down a bit so the light would not go into oncoming traffics vision.
This is awesome, by chance did you see how hard it is to access the actual fog lens? My drivers side is cracked and I have been trying to figure out how to replace...

Cheesr,
James

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,385 Posts
Reactions: James B

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
This is awesome, by chance did you see how hard it is to access the actual fog lens? My drivers side is cracked and I have been trying to figure out how to replace...

Cheesr,
James
Just replace the whole foglight. They are a piece of cake to take out. You go through the front of the bumper.

Reactions: James B

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Help! Ok, I finally received the bulbs after two months and I went to replace them today but ran into a roadblock. I can't remove the second pipe from the bracket right behind the bulb cover that needs to be removed to replace the bulb. In the picture, you can see the first one I managed to remove simply by manhandling it but I'm not sure what I did that made the difference. However, I can't get the second larger one behind it off. It looks like the same type of connector that slides off the bracket. Looking at the first one it seems it needs to be pulled up and off the bracket. This doesn't work for the second one.

The good news is that I was able to remove the two screws for the bulb cover easily by hand. I used a torx extension for the T25 head, which is T20 in my car BTW. I tried removing the cover with the final hose and the bracket in place but the bracket is blocking the cover and it definitely needs to come off.

Can someone who is familiar with this attachment give me a clue as to how to remove it? I didn't want to force it too much for fear of breaking it.

I have the air filter out and would love to finish this tonight as my wife needs the car in the morning.

TIA

Bonus question: There is one of those electric shock warning signs on the back of the bulb cover. Do you disconnect the battery before changing the bulb or is it safe to do without? I'm guessing turning the light off is sufficient?

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I spent another hour trying to pry this thing off until I couldn't feel my fingers anymore. Today I dropped in on a local dealer and as I was showing the picture I think I answered my own question. There is a small notch sticking out on the metal bracket which I think goes into the side hole on the rear of the clip. I think If I try to pry that piece off it should comply. That's probably how I got the first one off as I was trying to stick a screwdriver in every place I could.

I didn't notice the notch yesterday or didn't realize the clip went that far back.

I will probably have to wait until tomorrow morning to let it cool off before I can get in there.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts