Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched a few youtube videos and I see a couple 2011 being done by releasing the top of the bumper, not completely removing it, but there is a German video which is 2013 according to the title where he removes some large plastic pieces behind the lamp and manages to squeeze the bulb in.

Also, I see online some bulbs for as low as ~US$20-$50 but when I check a Canadian site it's CAD$176. I haven't checked with the dealer yet. I searched but most of the bulb threads seem to be for pre-2010 vehicles.

Also, if the bumper has to be removed, would it make sense to do both at the same time?

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg Moonlight Blue
5,702 Posts
2013 headlights are different to 2015, on which access is simply from the back and straightforward.
I can't imagine VW designing it so that bumper cover has to be removed.
Will have to lookup the manual to confirm.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I watched a few youtube videos and I see a couple 2011 being done by releasing the top of the bumper, not completely removing it, but there is a German video which is 2013 according to the title where he removes some large plastic pieces behind the lamp and manages to squeeze the bulb in.

Also, I see online some bulbs for as low as ~US$20-$50 but when I check a Canadian site it's CAD$176. I haven't checked with the dealer yet. I searched but most of the bulb threads seem to be for pre-2010 vehicles.

Also, if the bumper has to be removed, would it make sense to do both at the same time?
Yes it is possible, but you need a very small ratchet with the correct torx bit. The issue is there is not much clearance behind the housing for you to access the bolts. You basically take off the rear hatch to access and replace bulbs. Take a look behind the housing to see the clearance you need. Also be prepared for some frustration... lol

Just noticed you are a fellow Northerner. This is what I bought from Canadian Tire and it is an awesome little tool. Not only for this job but other jobs in the future where you have little to no clearance:

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
2013 headlights are different to 2015, on which access is simply from the back and straightforward.
I can't imagine VW designing it so that bumper cover has to be removed.
Will have to lookup the manual to confirm.
It's straightforward as long as you have the hands of a 12 year old and don't mind removing the air filter box. I'm curious what your manual says. I called the vw parts desk and he thought it was strange to remove the bumper cover to change the bulb. I'm waiting for a call back from service to find out what they charge to replace it. I also have the EGR code again which needs to be fixed under warranty so I have to take it in anyway.

James, thanks for the link. Here's the link to the video I referenced:

He seems to be using a flexible tool. I have a Mastercraft screwdriver set with a few dozen changeable heads including torx. I will look for an individual tool that accepts the ones I have.

The bulb is CAD$259 from my dealer and I don't know if I want to risk it doing it myself. Germanparts has one for $162.

I'm open to any alternate recommendations for a non-vw part. Here we go again LOL.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are the ones I installed, OEM Kelvin but brighter than what I had before. I would also recommend replacing both bulbs at the same time so that they match as well as not having to do it again when the other bulb fails (soon).

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are the ones I installed, OEM Kelvin but brighter than what I had before. I would also recommend replacing both bulbs at the same time so that they match as well as not having to do it again when the other bulb fails (soon).

Its also very important that you do not touch the bulb it self when installing, or at least wear some good gloves. The oils from your hands will make the bulb fail much faster.

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer got back to me and the service rep checked with the mechanic how they change it and how long it takes. He quoted me $257 of labour because they also remove the bumper to do it which takes up to 2 hours.

Knowing this, I am going to do it myself by removing the bumper cover.

Thanks for the link. I think I'm going to go with the regular strength bulb as I recall doing some research before and I think people reported reduced lifetime on the brighter bulbs.

Have you tried sourcing the Philips from Canada? I contacted germanparts and they said their brand is a reliable German made brand which is equivalent in longevity to the OEM one. After conversion/delivery there is not much difference between the two.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The dealer got back to me and the service rep checked with the mechanic how they change it and how long it takes. He quoted me $257 of labour because they also remove the bumper to do it which takes up to 2 hours.

Knowing this, I am going to do it myself by removing the bumper cover.

Thanks for the link. I think I'm going to go with the regular strength bulb as I recall doing some research before and I think people reported reduced lifetime on the brighter bulbs.

Have you tried sourcing the Philips from Canada? I contacted germanparts and they said their brand is a reliable German made brand which is equivalent in longevity to the OEM one. After conversion/delivery there is not much difference between the two.
No I wasn't able to find any decent replacements on our side of the boarder. HIDconcepts were great to work with, very fast shipping and legit products. There are lots of options on their website, I just went with the ones that I found were most highly reviewed/rated on the internet.

I also would highly suggest just trying to remove the back covers of the housings and not messing with the bumper... I am a 6'5 guy with large hands and was able to do it, a bit of a pain at first but once you get the hang of it its not so bad. Took about an 45 mins to replace both.

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I wasn't able to find any decent replacements on our side of the boarder. HIDconcepts were great to work with, very fast shipping and legit products. There are lots of options on their website, I just went with the ones that I found were most highly reviewed/rated on the internet.

I also would highly suggest just trying to remove the back covers of the housings and not messing with the bumper... I am a 6'5 guy with large hands and was able to do it, a bit of a pain at first but once you get the hang of it its not so bad. Took about an 45 mins to replace both.

Cheers,
James
Reading reviews I saw that they ship using USPS. If they are willing to ship to Canada using USPS I will go with them.

I will double check going from the back, it possible I didn't visualize it correctly. I imagined pulling back the bulb the entire length of it but looking at the videos it looks like it can be turned on the way in/out. When I looked under the hood there is very little space behind the cover. My concern is damaging the expensive bulb in tight quarters.

You have a 2013? I know that some changes were done in 2013 and 2015 again. Though the 2011 video I looked at looks similar.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2011 but I believe the housing and install procedure would be the same for 2013. But its fairly easy to tell, you should be able to see the screws at the back of the housing, around a plastic access door. The ratchet was really helpful because I believe one of the bolt is fairly hidden.

Anyways good luck with whichever route you take.

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,385 Posts
I did the headlight change job on my '11. I used the method of mostly removing the front bumper. I will not do it that way again, but I will definitely try doing it using the method in the video in post #4. Pt 2 of the video shows him doing the opposite side.
Why that way next time? Basically I had the plastic of the wheel arch trim separate which required getting a new one and having the small section at the bottom closer to the door painted to match the vehicle. Also had to replace one of the plastic bumper holder pieces hidden just to the outside of the bulb housing because the catch broke. The whole process was more costly and a PITA.
The bulbs I used were genuine Philips D3S Xenon 6000K Pure White Ultinon HID. Same wattage as the originals just a whiter non blue light output. Awesome bulbs.

Reactions: Snerlo and James B

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the headlight change job on my '11. I used the method of mostly removing the front bumper. I will not do it that way again, but I will definitely try doing it using the method in the video in post #4. Pt 2 of the video shows him doing the opposite side.
Why that way next time? Basically I had the plastic of the wheel arch trim separate which required getting a new one and having the small section at the bottom closer to the door painted to match the vehicle. Also had to replace one of the plastic bumper holder pieces hidden just to the outside of the bulb housing because the catch broke. The whole process was more costly and a PITA.
The bulbs I used were genuine Philips D3S Xenon 6000K Pure White Ultinon HID. Same wattage as the originals just a whiter non blue light output. Awesome bulbs.
Thanks for pointing out the 2nd part for the other side as I did not see it. This is a good side to practice on doing it from the back. The interesting part is that this video shows that he is replacing an OSRAM unit also available on the HIDconcept site. I just got off the phone with HIDconcepts and I will go with the OSRAM 4300k which is a direct replacement for the OEM. He said unless I had any complaints about the original just go with it. I agree and especially for US$80 less it's actually a somewhat reasonable price. $260 plus install is an insane amount to pay to replace a "lightbulb" and would add up with two.

So this is the crux of the matter. Anytime you try to save money by doing it yourself you also take on the risk of breaking something along the way. But, as long as one is careful, hopefully, the long-term savings will outweigh any "extra" costs if you do break something. Unfortunately a lot of these plastic pieces that snap/click in place increase the potential of breaking them off. I have found though that youtube videos are really helpful in this with instructions on how to remove things the right way. For example, one video tells you exactly how to remove the grill and bumper i.e. where the clips are and which way to pull.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts

Cheers,
James
As far as the kelvin, the bulbs you linked (which are great bulbs..) are a 4800k color, but the OEM were I believe a 4600k. So, there isn't a HUGE difference, but the newer bulbs you linked are a touch different in color which should make forward vision just a hint better than OEM.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Replaced my Xenon with exact stock replacement Amazon $99.

Don't remove the bumper! yes a couple bolt/screws are in tight, hard to reach areas, remove airbox on passenger side -get bit set and/or flexible extension, it's doable, found some good german vids on youtube.

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
318 Posts

View attachment 243960
All looks good mate. Hey I noticed that you have obviously changed the fog light bulbs to brighter whiter ones. Have you got a link to them? I would really like to replaced mine with a whiter and brighter light. Did it all fit within a closed/sealed/waterproof housing? Or because you installed LED, you weren't able to seal up again. I really need it to be water tight for the driving that I do. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
The foglights are made 'sealed' by inserting the bulb into the rear and screwing it in

Reactions: Snerlo

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,385 Posts
All looks good mate. Hey I noticed that you have obviously changed the fog light bulbs to brighter whiter ones. Have you got a link to them? I would really like to replaced mine with a whiter and brighter light. Did it all fit within a closed/sealed/waterproof housing? Or because you installed LED, you weren't able to seal up again. I really need it to be water tight for the driving that I do. Cheers.
I bought the ones for the fogs in the link below. They fit in just the same as an OEM bulb would. Watertight as OEM ones would be. These bulbs come with a tool to adjust the bulb orientation. Not how the base mounts, but where the LEDs are. You can have them facing top/bottom or left/right. I put mine left/right. It's very easy to do.

Link >>>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WCS6GN1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Snerlo

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
318 Posts
I bought the ones for the fogs in the link below. They fit in just the same as an OEM bulb would. Watertight as OEM ones would be. These bulbs come with a tool to adjust the bulb orientation. Not how the base mounts, but where the LEDs are. You can have them facing top/bottom or left/right. I put mine left/right. It's very easy to do.

Link >>>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WCS6GN1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks mate. Appreciate it. I will check them out.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts

Are the bulbs literally plug-n-play? How do they light up the road/side of road vs stock? 8k lumens is a LOT of lighting...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts