Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am interested in buying a used 2017 Touareg. The Carfax report lists a number of parts that have been replaced in the last years and I am wondering if this car is a lemon?
I will be using the car to tow up to 5500 lbs.
51,367 KM​
Vehicle serviced
  • Valve cover gasket(s) replaced
  • Fuel pump replaced
  • Fuel rail replaced
  • Ignition coil(s) replaced
  • Fuel injector(s) replaced
  • Intake manifold gasket(s) replaced
  • Mass air flow sensor replaced
  • Spark plug(s) replaced

53,158 KMVehicle serviced
  • Engine compression checked
  • Cylinder head gasket(s) replaced
  • Engine removed to complete repair
  • Fuel injector(s) replaced
  • Intake manifold gasket(s) replaced
  • Long block replaced
  • Piston rings replaced
  • A/C refrigerant recharged
  • Spark plug(s) replaced
  • Drivability/performance checked
  • Throttle valve/housing replaced

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds very abnormal to me. Even for gas engine. Basically the engine was replaced at very low miles. Could be from abuse too. Was all of that done under manufacturer warranty by the dealer?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi!
It did not say, being sold by non VW dealer, so was probably a trade in. The warranty for the engine is only up to 36000km, so this work would not have been covered. Makes me a bit nervous that after all these repairs, the car is traded in. On the other hand, maybe everything has been done?

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
282 Posts
The list in the service record of the services done should show who did the routine servicing and they would have done the engine work or know who did I would think, so you could get some better history of the cause. If the service records dont exist then i would avoid the car totally.

cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
2016 Touareg TDI Executive white/terracotta
142 Posts
Once a lemon always a lemon imo. My parents bought a late 90’s Volvo for my sister as her first car in high school and the service paperwork was as thick as a game of thrones book. They thought “well looks like everything’s already been replaced! What else could possibly go wrong?”

they were mistaken.

·
Registered
2016 Touareg TDI Executive white/terracotta
142 Posts
But what else is on the history? Consistent 10K oil changes, alignments, brake flushes, etc? Dealer maintained? Idk, could go one way, could go the other. Probably best to stay away from it.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
It reads that someone cooked that engine good and proper.

If the engine had been replaced as a complete unit then fine, but that is not what has happened and the engine is a bitsa.

Don't walk away- RUN.

·
Registered
2017 VW Touareg Executive VR6
65 Posts
I wonder if this Treg was a victim of water ingestion through the glorious intake design? Maybe instead of getting a warranty they decided to start replacing items...? You're guess is as good as mine. A lot of good suggestions here though..

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
So it had an engine replacement. Lots of cars suffer catastrophic events that are one-off. Its got a 10 year/100k warranty,.. buy it.

Reactions: Golf Wang

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Its had engine parts replaced not a complete engine dropped in.
I'm reading a complete long block replacement. That's basically everything.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Buy it and be prepared for the next series of issues. Something went wrong when the car was assembled. In the old days it was called a Monday AM car in Detroit. Maybe the production line workers were having a labor problem,who knows.
I hate to have to go to the dealer for service,so if you don't mind, have at it. My 2 Touaregs, both diesels were almost perfect from the get go and still are.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Buy it and be prepared for the next series of issues. Something went wrong when the car was assembled. In the old days it was called a Monday AM car in Detroit. Maybe the production line workers were having a labor problem,who knows.
I hate to have to go to the dealer for service,so if you don't mind, have at it. My 2 Touaregs, both diesels were almost perfect from the get go and still are.
I think you're confusing lazy, overpaid, undereducated American union workers with the sophisticated automated lines Volkswagen uses. Ain't no detroit here:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Sky Vehicle Cable car Electricity Mode of transport

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Ok Volkwagen for life, With a car produced by perfect machinery and technology, how in the hell do that many things go wrong with a 2yr old car??? Please let us know. I know the Germans never make any mistakes, who got into the machinery to screw this one up??? It's a car things go wrong, sometimes very wrong. Would you buy this car?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Ok Volkwagen for life, With a car produced by perfect machinery and technology, how in the hell do that many things go wrong with a 2yr old car??? Please let us know. I know the Germans never make any mistakes, who got into the machinery to screw this one up??? It's a car things go wrong, sometimes very wrong. Would you buy this car?
Because statistics.

With that said - I've already said I would buy the car - its got a 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty. LOTS of time left on it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think you're confusing lazy, overpaid, undereducated American union workers with the sophisticated automated lines Volkswagen uses. Ain't no detroit here:

View attachment 248527

View attachment 248528

View attachment 248529
LOL. German cars consistently rank amongst the worst for reliability, cost of repairs, etc. They are still relying on the reputation established in the 1950s through early 70s. Meanwhile, Japan, Korea, and soon China run circles around them. I guess today's German engineers are lazy, overpaid and undereducated. Maybe add criminal (ex dieselgate).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts