Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 V8

I have been watching the temp sensors closely the last couple weeks and wanted to know what you guys think.

On an average morning, ambient temp between 40-50 F, it takes 7 minutes before the coolant temp hits 170F. 10 Minutes and it finally gets to 200F. The entire time the oil temp is still sitting on 150F (no movement) until I hit 11 minutes and it begins to move. 15 minutes in and the oil temp hits 170F and then goes no higher.

The driving is normal rural driving on back roads, speed between 35 and 50 MPH the entire time.

Are these temps normal? Should the engine be warming up quicker than that?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Oil temp sound right. It takes a while to move.

The coolant temp seems slow to me. I need to take mine out for a drive and time it to verify the timing.

If the thermostat was opening fully when hot, but not completely closing when cold, you could get symptoms such as you describe.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Oil temp sound right. It takes a while to move.

The coolant temp seems slow to me. I need to take mine out for a drive and time it to verify the timing.

If the thermostat was opening fully when hot, but not completely closing when cold, you could get symptoms such as you describe.
Agree on the oil think the cooler is pretty efficient and it takes awhile to get to 200F. The water seems similar to mine for the temperature indicated. Would be more concerned if it didn't get to 200F or if it got there very quickly. If the sensor is bad it will get to 200F almost immediately. Even if thermostat was closed it would still take some time to get to 200F.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I warm my w12 the fastest and easiest on by switching him in the sport.
Make no more than 3,000 to 3,500 rpm.
if I drive in drive and the temp. but is 10C.
get the oil all times not hot.
even though I drive 100 km far.
and 3000 rpm cold will not harm your engine.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Your English is a damned sight better than my Dutch!

Gelukkige Kerstmis!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
JabberJaw
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing