Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I've been a fan of the Treg ever since it came out. In Singapore (where I come from), a V6 costs about USD120k (albeit with very good options but no air susp) so its out of the reach of most everyone. Recently the family moved to Dubai for the next few years and the 1st thing i did here was to purchase one. Here the base V6 costs USD40k - woohoo. Eventually I plumbed down USD50k for a V6 with air susp/xenon/wood steering wheel and couldn't be happier (didn't choose the V8 as the V6 was an 05 model and the 04 V8s here have been stored for the last 6 mths in the desert heat + the V8 costs another USD10k and coupled with insurance - which is phenomenal here! - it as just too much)

Well I had to wait about a month for the shipment to arrive and have been a happy puppy since. The only thing I get irritated about is a clickety rattle coming from somewhere in the car at the back on the right hand side. Checked the seat belt holders, CD changer cover, removed the retractable shelf and netting and... its still there. i think its coming from inside the vents in the cargo area. Anyone experince this and cured it. Occassionally this drives me nuts.

Thks - Dr C

· Registered
34 Posts
Same problem..

I have experienced the same problem, but haven't spent the time to try and find / fix it. On my next trip to the dealer, I'll have them check it out. If you find out anything in the meantime, please post.......Interesting that it's coming from the same part of your car as mine.

· Registered
2016 Touareg V6/Lux — 2006 Touareg V6 — 2013 Audi allroad
3,305 Posts
I have a small irritating rattle in the right rear area too. I find that when someone sits in the right rear passenger seat, the noise ins't there... :crazy:

· Registered
33 Posts
I have been battling the same exact thing... A rattle from the right rear passenger seat area... One time I folded the seat down and then back up, making very sure it was snug... the sound went away... had a friend ride in that seat shortly thereafter and once he got out, the noise was back... I have tried several times and have not been able to get it to again stop by folding down and then back up...

PLEASE - if someone figures out what this might be - POST THE ANSWER... I hate it that my new Touareg sounds so significantly "rattleier" than either my 2 or 3 year old Passats...

I had my dealer look at it and they reported taking the cargo cover off and putting it back on solved the problem... When I picked it up I told them that they were dealing with a different rattle, because I had taken the cargo cover completely out of the vehicle to eliminate that as the rattle source....

Still perplexed...

· Registered
33 Posts
I have been battling the same exact thing... A rattle from the right rear passenger seat area... One time I folded the seat down and then back up, making very sure it was snug... the sound went away... had a friend ride in that seat shortly thereafter and once he got out, the noise was back... I have tried several times and have not been able to get it to again stop by folding down and then back up...

PLEASE - if someone figures out what this might be - POST THE ANSWER... I hate it that my new Touareg sounds so significantly "rattleier" than either my 2 or 3 year old Passats...

I had my dealer look at it and they reported taking the cargo cover off and putting it back on solved the problem... When I picked it up I told them that they were dealing with a different rattle, because I had taken the cargo cover completely out of the vehicle to eliminate that as the rattle source....

Still perplexed...

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whew - thought I was the odd one out here.

One other thing to consider is that when its cold (like starting in thr morning) the rattle is there but when you park it in the sun and drive it later - the rattle is much reduced and sometimes disappears altogether ... leading me to conclude that whatever's causing the rattle expands in the heat and thus fits mre snugly.

Let me know what your service centres tell you. I'm bringing mine in soon and will report if there's a solution.

Rgds - Dr C

· Registered
15 Posts
I'm having the same creaking/rattling sound from the right rear. However, I don't usually have passengers sitting in the back to locate the sound.
I'll try folding the rear seat and see what happens.

· Registered
55 Posts
Ditto, and it's driving me crazy. Mine didn't always rattle, though--this is something that started somewhere around the 10k mile/6 month mark.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I just discovered that if you look carefully at the concealled compartment in both rear doors (not the door pocket, the one that looks like an ashtray), it has two latching mecanisms, just make sure that the one in the oposite position of the release button is pushed in.

I believe that this is the source of vibrations in the rear area, I'll confirm later on when I give it a try.

Hope this is it!!! :wave:

· Registered
24 Posts
The Rattle Answer

I had this issue at delivery. It grew increasingly annoying as time went on, and I had the dealer check it out at the 5K -- I explained I wanted it fixed before I got it back, period.

They fixed it at no charge, and it has not returned. The service write-up reads: "Road test vehicle detected noise at right rear seat and lock adjust and lube. Road test again no further noise heard."

So they basically adjusted and lubed the seat lock catch. I almost forgot how irritating it used to be until reading this thread.

· Registered
11 Posts
I had the exact same noise in my V8 Treg coming from the back right passenger seat area. Drove me crazy. I took it in to the dealer and they fixed it. They apparently "insulated" the cargo cover thing as well as the seat belt holder. They think it was coming from the cover. Whatever they did, it's fixed, and hasn't come back in the two weeks since I've had the vehicle back.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be interested to know if any of you having this noise solved it by lube-ing the rear seat catch. As for me, my rear seat catch is tight and I don't think this is a solution in my case.

I think my problem is more like Cutter's where the noise is inside the plastic cargo piece. I'm worried about asking the local agents to take it apart cos service is atrocious here. Just sent my Treg for the 1st service and it took them 1 day. When I mentioned that I wanted the tires balanced cos of slight vibration around 120kph, they said it would take them the beter part of another day. They said this is because they have to do 4 wheel alignment.

Is this correct? I want the tires balanced not aligned! Have any of you done wheel balancing on wheel? Or can off wheel suffice?

Just curious ... but why are the service intervals in the US 5k miles? Over here (where its really dusty and the environment is quite hostile) its 15k km (or about 9k miles).

I've not experienced this (yet) but does the Treg prompt you to go for service in the MFI? In my previous car - which was a Ford Galaxy (VW Sharan clone) - the MFI would flash for you to go for service every 15k km.

Thks - as always - Dr C

· Registered
866 Posts
Dr C,

US service intervals are 5K, 10K, then every 10K after that. The service interval reminder is disabled on US Touaregs, and there is suspicion that the underlying electroncis for it may be missing. There is a recent discussion of this in a thread over at VWVortex, but no conclusions yet.

· Registered
13 Posts
I had the same noise and discovered that if there was a passenger in the right rear seat the noise was gone. With no passenger, when the shoulder harness adjustment is in the low position, the shoulder strap is lightly touching the seat back and making a little slapping noise in response to road bumps. If you raise the shoulder strap adjustment to its highest position, the belt is about 1/2 inch from the seat back and the slapping noise is gone.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I never thought this would be the problem, as I checked it before and all was tight, but eveidently the rattle was caused by the seat release latch slapping against the housing.

I inserted some paper to tighten it and ... no noise so far. This is a pix ...

Let me know if it helps and if there's a more elegant solution.

Cheers - Dr C

Attachments

· Registered
55 Posts
Well, my Touareg is now sporting the same wad of paper in the seat latch as Dr. C's, and is rattle-free. Gee, you'd think with a $50k+ vehicle, they could at least include the necessary wad of paper...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.