Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of purchasing this vehicle and dealer said MDI SN0-057-342 would allow me to play iPod/iPhone. They just called to say they tried fitting but it isn't compatible with Delta sound system. Are they correct? and if so, is there another part that would make this work. I really want this vehicle but not having a connection for my iPod is possibly a deal breaker.

thanks in advance.
nik

· Registered
1,786 Posts
I'm in the process of purchasing this vehicle and dealer said MDI SN0-057-342 would allow me to play iPod/iPhone. They just called to say they tried fitting but it isn't compatible with Delta sound system. Are they correct? and if so, is there another part that would make this work. I really want this vehicle but not having a connection for my iPod is possibly a deal breaker.

thanks in advance.
nik
I'm under the impression that the iPod/Pad connector is all you need to run your devices. We have a Dynaudio (and it works great including the center instument display), so I can't be sure but the cable is in the glove box. There is also a pin connector in the center arm rest.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply but this vehicle does not have nav - its a basic Delta unit, and it does not have the pin connector in the armrest - just a blank plate where it should be. The dealer is trying to find a part to fit but is blaming the Delta unit for incompatibility. I'm just amazed that with all new cars now have inputs galore, last years Touareg (supposedly a premium vehicle) doesn't have any of these.

· Registered
3 Posts
I pod w/Delta

My wife and I have a 2010 Touareg TDI/Canadian with I believe is the Delta sound system...non-nav. When we purchased it our dealer too, thought they could rig up the glove box adapter. Man I really wanted that option. It was a no go. However, we went ahead and purchased the Treg. I/we absolutely love it and I take every opportunity to "steal"' it from my wife.
Two things... my I phone 3Gs, and my wife's I phone 4G both link effortlessly via bluetooth for calling. Contacts, voice dial is not enabled nor is the MFD. I cannot stream music. I did have a Motorola T505 bluetooth attachment I use in my 2002 Jetta TDI, so moved that to the Touareg if I really crave my I pod's music. This is a bit of a p____r... A vehicle in this price range should be so equipped. I did look into having the Nav radio installed, but it was almost as much as the "Technology" package was at purchase.
All this being said, I/we absolutely love this vehicle. I am looking for another as soon as the bank account allows!
Hopefully this helps!

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. Glad to see it's not just me that finds this odd. I so want this car - I fell in love with it the moment I sat in it - but this iPhone thing has really got me upset. Hopefully after a good nights sleep i'll calm down and go ahead with the purchase.

· Registered
319 Posts
No offense, but "search" is your friend. For a # of reasons (easy access to multiple SIM cards among them), German automakers have been, well, behind the curve when it comes to BT. (That's polite enough, right?)
Lucky for us with the Delta (iPod) Blues, there are enough German rigs on the road w/a similar setup that folks have started to market acceptable workarounds. I went w/the GROM brand unit myself - keeps the Sat Radio, steering wheel controls, & streaming BT... and there are other (non OEM) solutions out there...

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No offence taken. I've been looking and yes there do appear to be a number of solutions to this problem. One major thing that concerns me is if I have an after-market accessory such as this fitted, will it void my warranty (still have 2 years original plus 2 more for certified pre-owned). I think i'll invest in an FM transmitter for the short term.

· Registered
319 Posts
Tried the FM route, but meh - the Touareg is too nice for "jury rigged" solutions. As far as warranty goes, no, it won't void your warranty, and if it's a lease, these units are easily removable. Go for it - I did, and it made the Touareg just about perfect. Fact is, I get cranky now when the rest of the family "borrows" it...

· Registered
319 Posts
All of these are DIY, but if you're not comfortable, any local stereo shop can do it for you - and don't worry @ the radio head unit, as the "keys" and method are the same for a number of European imports. Heck, they even sell the removal tools at my local Sears & WalMart (amazing, no?)
Oh - there's pics & vids of all the steps here @ Club T!

· Registered
22 Posts
My chat with David at Grom Audio:

VW / AUDI / SEAT GROM iPod Adapter Direct Interface V3
David:
The ipod adapter you can control from phone or radio.
David:
Unfortunately we do not currently have text for VW vehicles

I just ordered this unit listed above through Grom thanks to your suggestion and it looks compatible with my 2010 Nav system/stereo. Anyone have a recommendation of who is a good national installer. Car Toys is not familiar with Grom so I am thinking I should search other installers in Denver. Thanks!

All of these are DIY, but if you're not comfortable, any local stereo shop can do it for you - and don't worry @ the radio head unit, as the "keys" and method are the same for a number of European imports. Heck, they even sell the removal tools at my local Sears & WalMart (amazing, no?)
Oh - there's pics & vids of all the steps here @ Club T!

· Registered
392 Posts
I'm in the process of purchasing this vehicle and dealer said MDI SN0-057-342 would allow me to play iPod/iPhone. They just called to say they tried fitting but it isn't compatible with Delta sound system.
The 5N0-057-342 is called MDI and it is for RNS-510 (and newer). You should have Audio in plug under the arm rest.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 5N0-057-342 is called MDI and it is for RNS-510 (and newer). You should have Audio in plug under the arm rest.
That must have been an option on this vehicle - all that is there under arm rest is a plastic cover where the audio in "could" have been :(

· Registered
319 Posts
It (the input) was N/A on the base (Delta) unit in the US T2. FWIW, the GROM has been perfect, and I can also attest to a neighbor's NEO unit. I can scroll & select from the steering wheel, it recharges the iPod, and streams BT. Best of all, the entire install is completely invisible and dirt simple. I can't endorse either of these products strongly enough...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.