Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was bored and was scanning around some accessories on the dealer site, and when I plugged in all my info it suggested there was a cable that could be plugged into my glovebox for an iPod. As far as I thought, that was only for later models with the RNS510. But it specifically says this works with a 2007, which couldn't have had the updated stereo, right? I have the OEM RNS2 and I had to unplug my 6disc changer to plug in an aftermarket unit to get a usb plug in. But if theres a factory way, I'd prefer that.

Here's a screenshot of the cable on the site:

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
It looks (and sounds) like the one I have in my '06. It does require some re-working of the wires on the back of your stereo, and you do loose your CD-changer in the process.

Right now I have a Tune2Air plugged into it, and have music streaming through it, from my iPhone, via BT.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Except that I too have an aftermarket unit. My question was about this OEM cable that fits our radios. I would much prefer an OEM option over aftermarket, especially if it plugs elsewhere and I can retain the CD changer again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That is what I'm talking about.

This OEM VW iPod kit uses the same pins as the CD-changer uses on the the back of the OEM radio. It comes with bypass connectors that you switch out for the CD-changer's connectors.

You are then left with a 30-pin iPod connector that you trail out from behind your radio. You can either run it into the glove compartment, or like I did, run it under the center console into the storage compartment at you elbow. Then you just plug in your iPod/older iPhone (or you can use a 30-pin > Lightning adaptor for newer iPhones). The Tune2Air unit I use plugs onto the 30-pin connector (it's about the size of an iPod Shuffle) and adds BT connectivity.

You still lose the changer in the end. I haven't used mine for almost 10 years. Funny thing is, I left a disc in the changer before I added the iPod kit, and for a long time I couldn't get it back (since the changer in no longer powered). ;-)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh. Well I already have that.

I assumed this would work better with the system. Seems crazy the OEM option would be to pretend you are in CD mode and not get the track info and the benefits of plugging in an iPod.

·
Registered
179 Posts
True...

...but back in the day, you were lucky to be able to plug in an iPod at all. ;-)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Sadly, there is poor iPod support with the factory radios of that era.

I went with a bluetooth adapter, hardwired into power (spliced into the 12V outlets) and had to use a ground loop isolator, too. No head unit controls, but what can you do? <shrug>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts