Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I have a 2005 V6 Touareg which just today starting showing problems with the internal alert tones. These are the tones that tell you to buckle your seat belt, that you've got the keys in the ignition still, turn signal clicks or that you've left your fog lights on. Today when I started the car, the "Put your seatbelt on" tone sounded like a winding down music box... the tone was garbled and didn't sound normal at all. Even the sound for the turn signal sounds muffled and weird. Not really sure what to do about this. I'm not experiencing any performance issues but these "new" tones can't be a good sign.
Anyone with a suggestion on a fix?
Cheers
Sharkbait13

·
Super Moderator
9,685 Posts
Cluster is probably going bad. There was a TSB on this where they replaced it. Not sure if yours falls under this or not. You would have to take it to the dealer and find out for sure.

·
Super Moderator
9,685 Posts
My reg is coming up on 153,000 miles... think it would still be covered?
Doubtful, but it would depend on your relationship with your dealer and whether it was already performed. You won't know until you contact a dealer and have them check.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm relationship with the local dealer isn't so great... I vaguely remember calling them Corksucking bastards. Will have to find another dealer.

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
LOL....Wasn't there a walkthrough on here where someone replaced the speaker in the cluster as a DIY?

·
Super Moderator
9,685 Posts
LOL....Wasn't there a walkthrough on here where someone replaced the speaker in the cluster as a DIY?
There is somewhere, but you need to be good with soldering and comfortable with tearing the cluster out yourself.

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
True...Just in case he is and it won't be covered..gives him another option....

I was laughing at his description of his dealer btw, not what you told him. Hehe

·
Super Moderator
9,685 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
There is..to the OP you can also follow the cluster swap DIY to figure out how to get the cluster out. there are 8 small torx screws holding the cluster together, remove these and you'll gain access to what you'll see is a speaker that costs maybe 3 bucks at radio shack.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wasn't able to find a thread with the info I am looking for and figured it tied in to this one.

Is there any means, short of removing the speaker, to turn off the seatbelt, lights on, etc...tones? I I would still like the signal light to make a tone, but suppose it's not the end of the world to lose it, as one should know when it's on as they moved the lever. Is there any issue with removing the speaker all together?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts