Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 V8, timing belt done 2,000 miles ago. Custom exhaust put on this summer from the cats back. I noticed last night a ticking sound when idling which increased with RPMS. Not a metallic "ping" sound. This morning I started the treg and nothing. Then while sitting in traffic on the way to work noticed the sound again resonating off the car next to me. When I pulled into the office it was gone again.

No codes, no CEL, I was thinking a possible exhaust leak which is only evident when the pipes are warmed up as they expand. But that theory is thrown off by the fact that the ticking is intermittent after being driven. Maybe a heavier weight oil for the winter?

I did fill up the tank with new 93 octane gas thinking maybe is was a misfire or some fuel issue.

Its finally started to come down to the 40's at night here in the northeast.

Ordered a new pcv valve and will check oil before I head home.

Thoughts?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a similar noise on my 04 V8 and I noticed it in parking garages the most. It was my flexible cat pipe that was failing - there is one on each bank on the V8 - it's easy to have the dealer or you Indy check it - had the first one replaced under the emissions warranty and paid the dealer $1200 to install the other one

1 - 2 of 2 Posts