Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I’m not sure what’s going on, but I have not received the error at all this past 3 days and I am constantly looking out for it whenever I’m driving. But I got the cylinder head on order and I think I’ll just go ahead and replace it, hopefully next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How long go did you do the new ring?
It might have taken some time to seat in.
If it is working I would not touch it.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
236 Posts
I did the ring last week Wednesday. And yes I was thinking the same thing that it may have taken sometime to sit. I’ll monitor it. It’s been dry and sunny and no rain. It just rained and will keep raining today and tomorrow. I’ll see if that changes anything. I’ll just keep the cylinder head just in case it ever pops up with that code again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same symptoms as you described. I waited a few days (weeks) as everything was working fine. FYI: I noticed the air stays in the struts for many, many, many days even without the compressor running. It turned out to be the air compressor on it's way out. One day after a couple of weeks the compressor stopped. I removed it, stripped it down and cleaned up the elec brushes and stator windings, and checked them all with a multimeter and noticed that one segment of the stator winding was a tad different to all the others. Put it all back together and reinstalled and it worked fine for a month before the lights came back on, same as you described. I replaced the air compressor and hey presto perfect condition once more. Purchased the new compressor from German manufacturer (Genuine OEM brand item delivered to Australia for around $350-400).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Additionally, for those discussing the compressor rebuild kit (which is little more than a piston ring and an o-ring from memory). From what I saw when I stripped and rebuilt my compressor. The elec side is the part which failed, and the air side (which was 14 yrs old) was still in pristine condition compared to the elec motor. I'd replace the compressor rather than put a ring kit in it. I used these guys and they were brilliant. Apart - Ihr Luftfedertechnik Spezialist. I notice the prices have gone up since I purchased mine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Additionally, for those discussing the compressor rebuild kit (which is little more than a piston ring and an o-ring from memory). From what I saw when I stripped and rebuilt my compressor. The elec side is the part which failed, and the air side (which was 14 yrs old) was still in pristine condition compared to the elec motor. I'd replace the compressor rather than put a ring kit in it. I used these guys and they were brilliant. Apart - Ihr Luftfedertechnik Spezialist. I notice the prices have gone up since I purchased mine.
It is interesting that you see many more ring and cylinder kits than motors.
I wonder if as the pumping side becomes less effective the longer run times are what cause the motor failures?

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is interesting that you see many more ring and cylinder kits than motors.
I wonder if as the pumping side becomes less effective the longer run times are what cause the motor failures?
Yes that could be potential cause, along with external air leaks as well of course. I can only say that the bore of mine and the piston ring were in as new condition after 14 years, but the elec motor was totally full of black brush material and the brushes worn considerably and the stator had failed. My vehicle hasn't had any air leaks to speak of.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
So I did some troubleshooting this weekend on a friend’s 2003 Treg. The error which pops up as soon as you clear it is 014 - module defective.
Module meaning the Level Control module.
When I clear the error the Treg tries to level itself and then the error pops up on the cluster and the leveling stops.
I checked the height level sensors and found the rear left sensor showing 9mm whereas all the other three sensor are showing 40mmm and some.
This guy is apparently not reporting the right value even If it does move up and down when I clear the error. And the module is not saying the level sensor is bad. So next step I’m going to replace that sensor. I have a spare used one bought for like 25$. The sensors are the same on all corners. Only the linkage is different. Will update when this first step is done.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts