Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I get an intermittent warning STOP FAULT RUNNING GEAR and the Air Ride error symbol.
The error message goes away, but the warning symbol stays on till the next restart.
The system seems to be working fine.
The car sits level.
The car adjusts to each level when the control is used.
The car does not loose significant height when sitting for 24+ hours.

Any suggestions?

I have heard the air suspension controller is in the back and I recently had a flooded spare tire well.
Should I look for a wet connector somewhere?

2004 V8

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check the level sensors at each wheel. Mine turned out to be an arm of the sensor that was intermittently pulling out of the upper control arm of the vehicle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sometimes it would, other times not. It was odd. I was doing a lot of up-and-down that day due to heavy snow, so I'm sure it was moving a bit during the transitions. I didn't discover it until I was checking the connectors and it fell out into my hand. Start with the easy stuff. Clean each connector and make sure there is no physical damage to the sensors themselves.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did your start the problem on the day you were up and down, or was it a longer term problem?
Did it ever show up as uneven, or just the warning?

Did the error come and go?

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,033 Posts
You need to perform a scan using VCDS, specifically module 34. Otherwise it’s just wild guesses.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
236 Posts
I get an intermittent warning STOP FAULT RUNNING GEAR and the Air Ride error symbol.
The error message goes away, but the warning symbol stays on till the next restart.
The system seems to be working fine.
The car sits level.
The car adjusts to each level when the control is used.
The car does not loose significant height when sitting for 24+ hours.

Any suggestions?

I have heard the air suspension controller is in the back and I recently had a flooded spare tire well.
Should I look for a wet connector somewhere?

2004 V8
I have this same exact problem on my 05 V8 right now. The error goes away upon restart and sometimes I get it right away after restart, sometimes, I don't get it at all. It's weird. car sits level. Height adjusts normally. Does not loose air.
I get the 01772 - G291 - Implausible signal
I replaced both upper residual pressure valve, both front sensors all about 2 years ago and I recently did adaptation just fine. I checked for leaks at the valve block underneath and no leaks. Upon more research and asking @TRespect, there is compressor rebuilt kit and also a relay for the suspension located in the driver's footwell. I got both the kit and the relay this past weekend and I'm going to replace them and create a DIY.

Some people have fixed the intermittent error by just getting the rebuild kit.
Some have fixed it by just replacing the valve block, which has the pressure sensor in it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have this same exact problem on my 05 V8 right now. The error goes away upon restart and sometimes I get it right away after restart, sometimes, I don't get it at all. It's weird. car sits level. Height adjusts normally. Does not loose air.
I get the 01772 - G291 - Implausible signal
I replaced both upper residual pressure valve, both front sensors all about 2 years ago and I recently did adaptation just fine. I checked for leaks at the valve block underneath and no leaks. Upon more research and asking @TRespect, there is compressor rebuilt kit and also a relay for the suspension located in the driver's footwell. I got both the kit and the relay this past weekend and I'm going to replace them and create a DIY.

Some people have fixed the intermittent error by just getting the rebuild kit.
Some have fixed it by just replacing the valve block, which has the pressure sensor in it.
If it keeps up I will probably try to find someone to scan it or maybe just do the compressor rebuild.
The car sat a while and I know the rear well with the spare and air tank was wet.
I'll let the old piston ring re-polish the compressor cylinder walls and then change it .

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
236 Posts
If it keeps up I will probably try to find someone to scan it or maybe just do the compressor rebuild.
The car sat a while and I know the rear well with the spare and air tank was wet.
I'll let the old piston ring re-polish the compressor cylinder walls and then change it .
I’m sure you can do it yourself. No need for to jack up the car or anything. I did mine today rhino ramp to lift up the front and then within 45 mins you should be done with everything. I will replace the relay tomorrow(raining now) which I think anyone with air suspension should do and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m sure you can do it yourself. No need for to jack up the car or anything. I did mine today rhino ramp to lift up the front and then within 45 mins you should be done with everything. I will replace the relay tomorrow(raining now) which I think anyone with air suspension should do and report back.

I wouldn't do two things.
If it fixes it you won't know which worked and if it got worse you won't know which you screwed up.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
236 Posts
I replaced both relay and did the rebuild and everything is running smoothly. Compressor is barely audible.
But I still the error with the 01772 - Implausible signal from level control pressure sensor, which is the sensor built in the valve block. I guess the valve block is next.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
236 Posts
Since I replaced the relay and did the rebuild, I almost never get the error. I can go a whole day without seeing and then it pops up and and I'm still having the implausible 01772 code. This still points to the compressor. I'm gonna replace the cylinder head and its o-rings. The problem is they all have to be shipped from china, even on amazon, with delivery somewhere between july 15 and august 5🤦🏾‍♂️

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since I replaced the relay and did the rebuild, I almost never get the error. I can go a whole day without seeing and then it pops up and and I'm still the implausible 01772 code. This still points to the compressor. I'm gonna replace the cylinder head and its o-rings. The problem is they all have to be shipped from china, even on amazon, with delivery somewhere between july 15 and august 5🤦🏾‍♂️
Wondering if I should just do the head when I do the ring?
The relay should really only need replacing if it sticks open or closed.
(Or if the pump motor seized and blew the fuse)

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
236 Posts
Wondering if I should just do the head when I do the ring?
The relay should really only need replacing if it sticks open or closed.
(Or if the pump motor seized and blew the fuse)
I would recommend to do the head when you do the ring. The relay that was in mine was the #214, which apparently was the relay dropped in 1998. So I guess it was good I updated. I actually a cylinder head on amazon/ebay and ships from Florida. But yea do that. I'll be doing the head next.

I was watching a video where this guy changed the cylinder head on his Touareg. He said the diameter of the opening or where the piston rod and ring goes into was about 0.8mm larger on the old one than the new one and the believed that was enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Good luck guys.
A friend of mine started having a running fault error too. I scanned the level control module and it says module defective. The compressor doesn’t even fire when this error is on. I drove it a few km and cleared the error but it still pops up immediately. A few hours later the error was gone. It does come back from time to time. It might be his new battery was not fully charged when It first happened. His Treg had been sitting for a while. I know from experience that a low battery does trigger this kind of error too. I will troubleshoot this error with him and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
@N_Jay: Do you have the error code?
1. Make sure your battery is in good shape and charged
2. Check you height level sensors.
3. Make sure your headlights leveling is working when you put the lights on. The air suspension system does interact with the headlight range control module. Do you see any beam leveling when you put on the lights?
You need the exact code thrown by the air suspension module.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately my Bosch reader doesn't show those codes.
Like I said, the car sits level at all levels.
I'll take a peak at the sensors, but knowing my other air ride vehicles, I am not expecting to find a problem there.
Given about 180k miles and 17 years, I figure doing the ring and head is a safe $25 to spend.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ands the battery is brand new and I drive it for 5 to 10 miles every few days to keep it up while I am working on the car.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
236 Posts
I’m not sure what’s going on, but I have not received the error at all this past 3 days and I am constantly looking out for it whenever I’m driving. But I got the cylinder head on order and I think I’ll just go ahead and replace it, hopefully next week.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts