Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, yet another issue with my 2008 Touareg V6, just over 90,000 miles. Everyday without break, smoke comes out from under the car, sometimes in light puffs, sometimes it just pours out. What's weird is that it only happens in the morning (I leave the house every morning at 7 AM) or whenever it's very hot outside such as today (it's currently 92 degrees Fahrenheit). The car drives as it should, buttery smooth and no issues with acceleration, and also no codes are thrown and none of the warning lights illuminate. What do you think it could be?
Thanks in advance,
Curt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Have you checked for an oil leak dripping onto a hot exhaust?

·
Registered
381 Posts
What color is the smoke? Does it have an odor? If your answers are white and no, it's not smoke, but rather steam from condensation dripping onto your exhaust. Otherwise, Melissa is right. You've probably got an oil or other fluid leak in an inopportune location.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked for an oil leak dripping onto a hot exhaust?
What color is the smoke? Does it have an odor? If your answers are white and no, it's not smoke, but rather steam from condensation dripping onto your exhaust. Otherwise, Melissa is right. You've probably got an oil or other fluid leak in an inopportune location.
Thanks for the replies. I took a quick peek under the car and didn't notice anything dripping, but I will look more carefully once I have some time.
As for the color/odor, it is white but it smells as if something is burning.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You may want to get it up on a really good set of jack stands and start it up cold and then crawl underneath to find the source. Don't forget to set the parking brake AND use a set of chocks if you are just raising the front end.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I couldn't find the problem, so I
Sent it to the stealership to get checked out. " We have identified the issue as oil leaking onto the exhaust due to a MASSIVE HOLE in the transmission." They're getting an estimate for me, but I think it's time to sell.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That is a shame. At least you got an answer.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I think you ought to go to the dealer ASAP and see this "massive hole" for yourself.

·
Registered
702 Posts
+1 how would get a massive hole in the transmission without the trans running out of oil?

I would get a second opinion from a transmission shop.

Mine got removed without removing the engine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I haven't gotten a chance to visually inspect the damage, but the dealer just filed a claim to the insurance company to the tune of over 10,000 dollars. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they consider it totalled.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would get this looked at elsewhere. This seems very fishy. At the very least I would call a different VW dealer and ask to speak to their shop foreman and get his opinion. Reason is, I am not 100% sure, but I think this might be impossible based on exhaust not going under transmission and a leak large enough to do this would have to leave oil under your truck, on the floor, subframe...it would be a big mess.

A huge hole is something that hap happened to me on a different car (1988 Jetta GLI), the spider gear in the transaxle broke and the shrapnel put a hole in the side of the case. Instantly it drove terrible (surprisingly still drove) and oil was ALL over EVERYTHING. You couldn't miss it. Oh and it didn't smoke either

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: the dealership called today and said that the insurance company/ extended mechanical warranty refuses to pay a dime towards repairing it/totalling it. Still debating whether to contact a lawyer or just part the car out. Either way, this Touareg has got to go.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: after several arguments with the warranty company, they have agreed to fix the car. (Brand new transmission.) I have already found a buyer for the car, as soon as it is fixed it'll be gone. I may return in the future with a touareg but owning this car has made me lose faith in Volkswagen. Goodbye for now.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Crazy. Still wondering how you can have a hole in the transmission case and not have any driving issues...

Thanks for the update. Sorry to see you give up on VW.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts