Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this incident is happening a little more often than before now. Still can't duplicate it and don't want to waste my time (for now) at the dealer. I know they'll say that they can't duplicate.

It seems like when the throttle is anywhere from 1/2 and higher, either the 3-4 or 4-5 shift is very rough (can't tell which gear it is). Haven't read too much about transmission problems, but was wondering if anybody has heard of this issue before?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Perhaps you can isolate the shift by simulating in tiptronic mode.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm going to try that but it's so intermittent that I'll be using Tiptronic for a while. Something I need to do though.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Try a gearbox reset.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Using this?

Ignition on BUT do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal, turn the ignition off and remove the key
Yep. That's the gearbox reset process. I do 15 seconds, but 10 should do the trick. Doing this made a big difference for me in the smoothness of shift points. I bought a used '12 that had a lot of city driving on it and the shifting points were awful because the computer had learned this type of city driving. I do a reset every month. Best of luck. Hope it helps smooth things out for you.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes, use that sequence, and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update.

Performed the gearbox reset. Nothing changed.

It is definitely the 3-4 shift. Under light acceleration, it's smooth, as all gears are.

Under moderate to heavy acceleration, the 3-4 shift is not smooth at all. Jerks a bit; sometimes more than other times.

I'm fairly certain the dealer will say it's normal, knowing them. My question for them would be why it's normal, because none of the other gears do this.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Update.

Performed the gearbox reset. Nothing changed.

It is definitely the 3-4 shift. Under light acceleration, it's smooth, as all gears are.

Under moderate to heavy acceleration, the 3-4 shift is not smooth at all. Jerks a bit; sometimes more than other times.

I'm fairly certain the dealer will say it's normal, knowing them. My question for them would be why it's normal, because none of the other gears do this.
I had the same issue with my '13 touareg. Could never reproduce it for the dealer. Ironically, I got rid of the '13 touareg for a '15 dodge which shares the same transmission and that truck did the same thing. unfortunately I don't think this is a "bug" but a "feature" of that 8-speed transmission.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a little relieving to hear, honestly. Just is disappointing though, if the transmission has a performance issue of this kind.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That's a little relieving to hear, honestly. Just is disappointing though, if the transmission has a performance issue of this kind.
yeah, that is a bit of a disappointment, but not as annoying as the transmission hitting a double downshift in heavy traffic which spools the turbo and giving you all that power that you don't need... :anger:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I may sound like a broken record but it may be time for fresh ATF. Too many Treg owners are chasing problems that may well disappear after a drain and fill. These transmissions are simply not designed to be the sealed unit VW is trying to sell you. Replacing the filter and cleaning the pan is advisable.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My car has 6,000 miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I missed the part that your car is just about brand new, I feel your pain.

After going through the Treg transmission saga I decided to change the ATF on my Volvo S80 with +- 30,000 miles on the clock and can report a noticable improvement in shifting after the drain and fill. The conclusion on my end is that its almost never too soon for a ATF drain and fill.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Update. Performed the gearbox reset. Nothing changed. It is definitely the 3-4 shift. Under light acceleration, it's smooth, as all gears are. Under moderate to heavy acceleration, the 3-4 shift is not smooth at all. Jerks a bit; sometimes more than other times. I'm fairly certain the dealer will say it's normal, knowing them. My question for them would be why it's normal, because none of the other gears do this.
I've bee noticing my 3-4 shift is intermittently jerky. This started maybe a month ago (2012 tdi exec) and occurs during moderate acceleration. I just hit 111,000 km's but still under warranty!!! I went through the dreaded valve body issue and $8K later ordeal with my V8 a few years back. Gonna try the gearbox reset tonight and see if it helps. Currently the jerky shift is noticed a few times every day. I have never noticed this behaviour until now and my driving habits have not changed at all - lots of highway driving.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would like to have $1 for every valve body dealerships have replaced where the problem could have been cured by simply replacing the filter and ATF. I can see their point, it's profitable and you cannot guarantee a 100% positive outcome but any owner capable this DIY should start there at the first signs of this very common problem. At worst you would spend $250 but could save you $8k as the previous post mentioned.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
leA replacement valve chest doesn't cost anywhere near $8K!

A compelte new gearbox does though!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Did a gearbox reset this morning - but still had rough shift 2 or 3 times from 3rd to 4th....

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm starting to think it's normal design, unfortunately.
But I've never had this rough shift for the past 60,000 km's...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts