Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My power steering works about 50% of the time, cycling the ignition will sometimes resolve the issue. When I start the vehicle if the steering is working it will stay working until the ignition is turned off and on again. It has been to the dealership multiple times and they cannot solve the issue.

2 New Power Steering Racks
1 New Power Steering Pump
1 New J519 Module
I inspected the connector and wiring that runs from the power steering rack up through the wheel well, everything looks in good shape.

Not sure where to go from here?

Thanks

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a VCDS, but I can probably borrow one. I still have 2K left on my extended warranty so I am stuck with the dealership, but this is going on 18 months now as the first 2 steering racks were backordered.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
So I'm unclear what you want to do then.... blindly guess at what might be the issue?
If the clowns at the dealer that have access to high end factory scan tools and tech support can't figure it out, you think you have a better chance by randomly loading up a parts cannon?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pardon my ignorance but what does your warranty have to do with the dealership?

If you were out travelling and your car needed service 1000km from home you couldn't have it worked on at the closest dealer?
Started with one dealership for the first repair and then moved to the one I bought the vehicle from for the next three. TBH no one wants anything to do with this anymore.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I'm unclear what you want to do then.... blindly guess at what might be the issue?
If the clowns at the dealer that have access to high end factory scan tools and tech support can't figure it out, you think you have a better chance by randomly loading up a parts cannon?
I hoping someone has seen this before, I saw one person with a similar problem found damaged wiring, this does not seem to be the case for me.

· Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,489 Posts
It does seem to be electrical, electronic related rather than mechanical.
But as the guys say a scan is a first call, perhaps ask the dealer to give you a copy, surely they would have scanned the car.
Also, when you lose functionality, does it occur randomly, increasing speed, at low or high speed?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't have anything to do with speed, when I start the vehicle it either works or doesn't work and will stay that way until the next start. First start in the morning it seems to always work, for the rest of the day the power steering comes and goes with each new start.
I have gone through the wiring diagrams and the J519 module interfaces with the servotronic unit on the power steering rack, but there is also a J500 module the interfaces with the power steering pump. The J519 module has been changed out but not the J500 module, so maybe something there. A coworker is bringing a vag-vom in tomorrow so I will look for codes, but I don't expect to see anything the dealer wouldn't have seen.

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't had time for any additional tests yet, but I plugged in the VCDS and I have 1 Fault.

Address 09 Cent. Elect. (J519)
Fault Found:
02838 - Solenoid Valve for Servotronic (N119) 012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent

Based on wiring diagram two wires run between Solenoid Valve (N119) and Electrical Control Module (J519), both of those components have been changed. The two wires from the connector at the solenoid valve up to where they enter into the harness through the firewall look fine. This one is not going to be easy.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Continuity checks are important, but when the issue is intermittent visual inspection for corrosion and damaged sheathing is also necessary. The work order from the dealership showed that continuity checks were performed.
There is a fair amount of disassembly involved to get to both ends of the harness, and since this is still a warranty issue I don’t want to be accused of causing this issue.
I will revert back when/if this is resolved, hopefully my pain will help the next poor bastard!

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
So the story up to this point was that the dealership couldn't find the issue. If you've looked at what I've provided, you would've seen that you can see system status, read various parameters, log them, etc.

Is the story now that we've figured out it's a wiring issue but it's now too difficult to check the wires because they are hard to access?

Just use an overlay or temp harness if you or whoever is working on the diagnostic can't handle what's required. Run wires around the outside or whatever as per wiring diagram between the connections. If all works, you've confirmed that the issue is an intermittent wiring connection....

Seems simple no?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not so simple and not without a risk of shorts and frying the new J519 module and other electronic components. Running a temp harness from the solenoid on the power steering rack through the fire wall to the connection at the J519 module and then driving around to see if the intermittent issue is resolved is not without risk. Maybe if I get really desperate, but again VW warranty so they need to fix. And I hope they do.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
If you don't know how to do stuff, don't attempt to fix and\or diagnose it.
If the dealer doesn't know what they are doing, go to a different one.

You have two components, which have been both replaced with new units.
You have two wires that connect these components.
By process of elimination alone, it has to be the wiring\connection between the new units that's the issue.
This is confirmed by the diagnostic scan and by the flaky intermittent operation.

You asked what to do next. You were told.
If you monitor\log live data, you can see current and operation status.
As such, you can see when the failure happens... maybe it's when you turn one way, or when you hit a bump, or whatever. Knowing that, you can then replicate those conditions on stands, or a hoist, or whatever.
If you want to be 100% of the above, you take two wires and you bypass the harness, making the connection from J519 to N119 around the outside, over the hood, whatever. You now have a proper connection and can once again look at the live data to ensure that the intermittent electrical failure is not longer a thing!

These two things don't share a connection with anything else, so I'm not sure what other components you're "frying" by doing this.

Lastly, as previously mentioned, a dealership has all kinds of specialty tools, including diagnostic scanners, guided fault finding procedures, scopes, etc. If they had a clue as to what they were doing, they wouldn't take 18months to find a pinched or nicked wire. And it's been attempted by two dealerships! What a joke!

FFS.... we are mere enthusiasts and are solving the problem "remotely" without even having any access to this heap of yours!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts